Best war movies

Best war film ever and every Arrser's first taste of combat...

One of the characters is taken to the UK on a submarine and parachuted back into France by an RAF Whitley.
Whoosh!

A 1/72nd scale Whitley, made by Frog...

s-l225.jpg

Am I correct in thinking 'A Hard Days Dying' and 'Charge of The Light Brigade' (with Trevor Howard) are no longer available? They were both good.
'City of Life and Death' about the rape of Nanking should be shown more often - pretty grim.
I think it’s actually “A Long Days Dying” and starred David Hemmings and Tom Bell. Incidentally Hemmings played Captain Nolan in “The Charge Of The Light Brigade”. And why not?

I think it’s actually “A Long Days Dying” and starred David Hemmings and Tom Bell. Incidentally Hemmings played Captain Nolan in “The Charge Of The Light Brigade”. And why not?
Quite correct @diehard57 - I always get it mixed up. Believe it's available as a download.

For anyone who's caught the recent reshowings of 'Charge of The Light Brigade' (and anyone who hasn't but wants a very good read) I'll highly recommend Googling:-

A Tragedy of Ridiculous Men: Historical Commentary on Tony Richardsons 'The Charge...'.

I can't find it anywhere . Is it worth digging for ?
I've only seen it once, a long time ago. I think I found the link to it by entering the title on YouTube.
It'll be dated in effects but I seem to recall the narrative was quite tense particularly a bit where David Hemmings character stalks a German.
Guess it depends on the faff with getting the download.

That is ******* brilliant !
I think it's the little things - like the tractor peeling away like a glider tug at the beginning that are brilliant!

I think it's the little things - like the tractor peeling away like a glider tug at the beginning that are brilliant!
Its a few years old now & some background stuff about it is on't web. Blokes who did it spent a lot of time getting kit correct for starters & really going to town with the whole concept. Was shown at an LA film festival at some point. Good effort.

p74741_p_v7_ab.jpg
movie-the-charge-of-the-light-brigade-director-tony-richardson-gbr-CPH0NB.jpg

I've only seen it once, a long time ago. I think I found the link to it by entering the title on YouTube.
It'll be dated in effects but I seem to recall the narrative was quite tense particularly a bit where David Hemmings character stalks a German.
Guess it depends on the faff with getting the download.
I remember seeing it back in the 70's but didn't know what it was called all I could remember was it had a para who had a meat skewer hidden in the collar of his smock and a plot line that was a bit similar to The Long the Tall and the Short, I'll have to look it up over the weekend.

Not read the thread through, but I assume Breaker Morant has been mentioned?

The Bedford Incident is good but could have been even better.
I like crimson tide - loads of armed septics running around a nuclear missile sub.
Kingdom of heaven, some great battle scenes but a bit predictable.
There is a movie called ,Ironside' I think which has a fantastic depiction of a siege of a medieval castle.
Light horsemen is a bit Ho hum, but well worth watching for the horsed charge at the end.

Again I can't imagine it hasn't been mentioned but the cruel sea has got to be on anyone's top five.

There is a Russian film called 9th company about soviet involvement in Afghanistan, I quite like that one.

And last but not least that movie about the Aussies in New Guinea on the Kokoda trail.

Hope I haven,t just repeated a load of movies that others have already mentioned.

Not read the thread through, but I assume Breaker Morant has been mentioned?

The Bedford Incident is good but could have been even better.
I like crimson tide - loads of armed septics running around a nuclear missile sub.
Kingdom of heaven, some great battle scenes but a bit predictable.
There is a movie called ,Ironside' I think which has a fantastic depiction of a siege of a medieval castle.
Light horsemen is a bit Ho hum, but well worth watching for the horsed charge at the end.

Again I can't imagine it hasn't been mentioned but the cruel sea has got to be on anyone's top five.

There is a Russian film called 9th company about soviet involvement in Afghanistan, I quite like that one.

And last but not least that movie about the Aussies in New Guinea on the Kokoda trail.

Hope I haven,t just repeated a load of movies that others have already mentioned.
Breaker Morant is a very good film. Excellent and thoughtful ending, not to mention tuneful.