Best War Film of all time?

No idea what the best film is, but a few good ones not mentioned so far

If you can get past the obvious soviet propaganda 'Come and See' is a good film

Cross of Iron a bit of a low budget classic

It's got to be 'Come and See' for a brutal view of conflict.
The best British war film is either Dambusters or Dunkirk imo (the John Mills version).
'Operation Daybreak' is compelling and the soundtrack brilliant.
For lolling in front of the TV on a Sunday afternoon, 'Operation Crossbow' takes some beating.
"Ich bin Jacob Bijus"

He Who Dares: Downing Street Seige.
It's on Netflix and it's a fcuking scream. I'm not going to spoil it for you but an SAS major has a debrief at No. 10 as a badly dressed Corporal with PTI swords and a face full of George Michael stubble. The officer debriefing him has a beard, at the end after they take his Army ID card he salutes, sans hat, like Arnold Rimmer or a Yank with roid rage.
The acting is top notch, seriously. If you have some time to kill, pour a hefty measure, sit back, relax and enjoy.

I made it to 20 minutes in and had to stop, my toes curled inside out.

He Who Dares: Downing Street Seige.
It's on Netflix and it's a fcuking scream. I'm not going to spoil it for you but an SAS major has a debrief at No. 10 as a badly dressed Corporal with PTI swords and a face full of George Michael stubble. The officer debriefing him has a beard, at the end after they take his Army ID card he salutes, sans hat, like Arnold Rimmer or a Yank with roid rage.
The acting is top notch, seriously. If you have some time to kill, pour a hefty measure, sit back, relax and enjoy.

I made it to 20 minutes in and had to stop, my toes curled inside out.
That wasn't Sean Bean reprising his role from Pixels was it?

Boffo

Crow
For one of the best films about WW2 I go for The Dambusters, made so soon after the war. Sober, very British, unglamorous, and most importantly containing the most beautiful B&W photography of Lancaster Bombers, surely the most beautiful of military aircraft. Great tense atmosphere in the film, too. Corny water effects as the bombs go off, but so what? There just wasn't that kind of technique in those post-WW days. You can't really beat 'Bridge on the River Kwai', though, can you?

skeetstar

Old-Salt
Bet they have been mentioned before, (maybe even by me..)

9th Company. Foreign language pic of Russian soldiers in Afghanistan.
Some of the action scenes are pure Hollywood, but by and large I like it.

And one about the Australians on the Kokoda Trail... Kokoda 39th Battalion.

Maybe not the best ever, but both a really good watch.

Dunkirk (1958 version) is on again right now. It's come round again quick. A pretty good film (though I always have my doubts whenever I see John Mills playing the chirpy cockney - and no mistake).

One thing that does occur to me is Malcolm Arnold's music score. Bloody hell, he earned his money easily. The theme music is virtually note-for-note the same as the one he did the year before during some of the incidental music in The Bridge on the River Kwai.

ETA: He served up very slight variations of the same piece of music in The Inn of the Sixth Happiness and The Heroes of Telemark, as well. He had a reputation as a boozer, so perhaps he couldn't remember that he was using the same tune all the time, or else he was so pissed he couldn't have given a f@ck.

Last edited:
The Cruel Sea.

JoJo Rabbit best Kiwi War film and up there with 'Come and See' and Die Brucke (The Bridge), with the latter it is a 1959 West German film:

A squad of very new recruits and a veteran NCO ordered to defend a small bridge against the soon to arrive Americans.

Its really excellent and should be better known, it shows all manner of things that would no doubt ring very true to the audience who lived through those times, including the perils of using a Panzerfaust indoors and being away from the front without the right papers.

Made and acted by people who had experienced those times

If you have not seen it seek out the 1959 original, avoid the 2008 remake – subtitles not dubbed if you please.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
das boot is a contender in my opinion.

Bet they have been mentioned before, (maybe even by me..)

9th Company. Foreign language pic of Russian soldiers in Afghanistan.
Some of the action scenes are pure Hollywood, but by and large I like it.

And one about the Australians on the Kokoda Trail... Kokoda 39th Battalion.

Maybe not the best ever, but both a really good watch.
I liked Kokado, it showed the ww2 digger was made of chocos and regulars. The CO at the orders bit was so proud to take part, he refused to take a wage for his cameo.
Its the small scenes
slitting your breeks to avoid fumbling with buttons in time of need.
The Thompson jamming at the worst moment possible
The locals being the most ablest at carrying the wound to the aid station.
One to watch out for though
When Darko and Jack are creeping through the bush, you can see a figure run past in the distant background. The director admitted in the commentary that the figure was his safety officer running for the toilet.

I’ve got 4 films in my opinion are classics.
4. The original series of Das Boot, the tension of being depth charged and the standard of acting. Superb!
3. Longest Day, only because it really was my first major War film.
2. The Light Horsemen, WW1 Australian film about the Battle of Ber Sheba.
1. Ice Cold in Alex. I love this film! It’s the scene in the bar, with the condensation running down the Carlsburg glass.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Not a war film as such but one set in the late 40s with all the main characters having served during the war and although not mentioned The Highland Division. The film, as you have probably guessed by now: Tunes of Glory.

"The Cruel Sea"
"Tora, Tora, Tora"
"Paths of Glory"
"Letters from Iwo Jima" (japanese sides account)
"Gettysburg"

JoJo Rabbit best Kiwi War film and up there with 'Come and See' and Die Brucke (The Bridge), with the latter it is a 1959 West German film:

A squad of very new recruits and a veteran NCO ordered to defend a small bridge against the soon to arrive Americans.

Its really excellent and should be better known, it shows all manner of things that would no doubt ring very true to the audience who lived through those times, including the perils of using a Panzerfaust indoors and being away from the front without the right papers.

Made and acted by people who had experienced those times

If you have not seen it seek out the 1959 original, avoid the 2008 remake – subtitles not dubbed if you please.
By a remarkable coincidence I just watched JoJo Rabbit last night at the insistence of my son. I sat down ready to harumph my way through 90 minutes of sentimentalist, ahistorical nonsense.

I was soon disabused of that notion, an absolutely superb movie and well worth watching.

1. Ice Cold in Alex. I love this film! It’s the scene in the bar, with the condensation running down the Carlsburg glass.
Watch from 1m 30s onwards.

Latest Threads