Best War Book

I too am a fan of these vintage paperbacks and have quite a large collection myself. Some of the cover artworks are brilliant though, much better than today's books in my opinion.

yes I guess they're a mixed bag, the artwork on mailed fist, the tank crew and gun barrel are taken from the photograph to the left, the tank itself is an amalgam of a Churchill recovery vehicle, Panzer tracks and track guards. Plus the commander has no vision devises and he's standing directly on top of the breech of the 17 pounder. John should have said something, he probably did.
mailed fist artwork close up.png

two_of_seven

Old-Salt
Gents
Can anyone advise, I'm trying to find a copy or name of the author who wrote briefly about his UK SF experiences and in the same book about his private security adventures in Iraq .

There must be a bunch of them, however this chap did mention something about a supposed CIA sponsored security company in Iraq. And secondly about him getting his lockup broken into after he send an email casually referring to some secret marked material he stored there.

Any pointers appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gents
Can anyone advise, I'm trying to find a copy or name of the author who wrote briefly about his UK SF experiences and in the same book about his private security adventures in Iraq .

There must be a bunch of them, however this chap did mention something about a supposed CIA sponsored security company in Iraq. And secondly about him getting his lockup broken into after he send an email casually referring to some secret marked material he stored there.

John Geddes, Spud Ely?

Gents

Maybe Baghdad Operators by James Glasse and Andrew Rawson

But why would you want to? It really is utter bilge (yes I have read it).
That had pride of place on my shelves at one time, along with Sven Hassell and Leo Kessler.

Admittedly, I was 15 at the time.

The Middle Parts of Fortune by Frederick Manning

Awol

LE
Escape from.... something..,, not sure of the exact title, maybe Campo something.

Written either during or just after WW1, and is the true story of a group of British officers escaping from a Turkish (I think, but definitely Mediterranean) POW camp and making down to a beach to escape.

Underrated, but definitely very good.

One Man Band by Ben Bryant is decent read. Bryant was a highly successful submarine Commander in WW2. To many he was the epitome of the Elizabethan bold buccaneer. The arrogance and ruthlessness of the man is exposed as well as his skill and daring. Bryant does not come over as particularly likeable but this is the stuff that wins wars.

Latest Threads