Best War Book

I don't know if it's the best book on war, but for me, one of the best is The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes.

Rhodes is a historian and journalist, who won a Pulitzer Prize for the book.

It cover's the beginnings of discovery about the atom to the post-war development of the Hydrogen bomb, and looks at all the people concerned from Lord Kelvin, to Rutherford through to Ulam and Teller, to the soldiers such as General Groves and Paul Tibbet's, and the politicians from Cherwell to Stalin.

It is a good readable history of the science and politics of what led to the Manhattan Project and post war developments.

It gives a very good account of the destruction of the Vermorsk heavy-water plant made famous by the film The Heroes of Telemark, as well as the impact the rise of Nazi'ism had on the many Jewish physicists and how it impacted on their work when developing the bombs.

It also explains why the bombs were dropped on Japan. The decisions were complex and many. The chapters describing the effects are quite graphic but the book would be less complete without them.

There are no soundbite-sized arguments, and it is extensively researched and footnoted.

At over 800 pages it isn't a quick read, but it will reward anyone who get's through it with a much better understanding of the science, the politics and the history of what is arguably one of the most far reaching and challenging developments in human history.

One which is still relevant to us today.

Try the follow-up:
Dark Sun: The Making of the Hydrogen Bomb
Yes I have that as well (but Kindle, not a real book!) It is good but I don't think it's as good as The Making of the Atomic Bomb. But then again I have read that book four or five times and Dark Sun only once. I will probably reread Dark Sun after Making and it might be better on a second reading.

Yes I have that as well (but Kindle, not a real book!) It is good but I don't think it's as good as The Making of the Atomic Bomb. But then again I have read that book four or five times and Dark Sun only once. I will probably reread Dark Sun after Making and it might be better on a second reading.
Operation Grapple - available on all good piracy places.
I'm trying to find the whole Silverplate saga. I think I have it in a box in the garage.
Amazing story.

Anyone got any suggestions for a British modern warfare book?

Plenty on the Americans, struggling to find good military books based on the British army.

Plenty on the Americans, struggling to find good military books based on the British army.
Quite a old book and covering the troubles, but ‘shoot to kill, a soldiers journey through violence’ by Micheal Asher

Another side of the regimental medical scene - 'The Long Carry', the war diary of Frank Dunham, a stretcher bearer with a couple of battalions of the old London Regiment.

I'm re-reading 'The Struggle for Europe' by Chester Wilmot, an Ozzie journalist who, as a war correspondent, landed by glider on D-Day. He would have been a truly outstanding historian if he hadn't decided to fly by DH Comet.....

You could try this:

The Junior Officers' Reading Club: Killing Time and Fighting Wars
Patrick Hennessey
Hailed as a classic of war writing in the U.K., The Junior Officers' Reading Club is a revelatory first-hand account of a young enlistee's profound coming of age. Attempting to stave off the tedium and pressures of army life in the Iraqi desert by losing themselves in the dusty paperbacks on the transit-camp bookshelves, Hennessey and a handful of his pals from military academy form the Junior Officers' Reading Club. By the time he reaches Afghanistan and the rest of the club are scattered across the Middle East, they are no longer cheerfully overconfident young recruits, hungering for action and glory. Hennessey captures how boys grow into men amid the frenetic, sometimes exhilarating violence, frequent boredom, and almost overwhelming responsibilities that frame a soldier's experience and the way we fight today.

Unwinnable: Britains war in Afghanistan by Theo Farrell

Depending on your definition of modern, Across an Angry Sea by Cedric Delves

Iraq War
John Keegan
Author of the acclaimed The Face of Battle, and, most recently, Intelligence in War, John Keegan now brings his extraordinary expertise to bear on perhaps the most controversial war of our time.

The Iraq War
is an urgently needed, up-to-date and informed study of the ongoing conflict. In exclusive interviews with Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld and General Tommy Franks, Keegan has gathered information about the war that adds immeasurably to our grasp of its causes, complications, costs and consequences. He probes the reasons for the invasion and delineates the strategy of the American and British forces in capturing Baghdad; he examines the quick victory over the Republican Guard and the more tenacious and deadly opposition that has taken its place. He then analyzes the intelligence information with which the Bush and Blair administrations convinced their respective governments of the need to go to war, and which has since been strongly...

Dunno how accurate this is but Mark Urban is pretty respected.

Task Force Black: The Explosive True Story of the SAS and the Secret War in Iraq