Best Value Project Management Courses

Can anyone offer suggestions for the best value project management courses?

I'm considering PRINCE 2 and then completing the APMP conversation. That should come in at around £1500.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

PM-wise, my understanding/two-pennorthPrince2 if you're looking at any PM work connected to HMG; APMP is more focussed on soft skills rather than the process itself. If you're looking for an internationally-recognised qual then look at PMI; I know that some of the financial services sector (certainly Barclays) are insistent on this one.

£1500 is cheap; I did the same and it cost about £1k more than that, but...a friend did a lower-priced course with another training provider and failed the Prince2 practitioner element. I'm not sure if he resat it; however the trainers I with have pass rates at above the national average (might be why they cost more?).

PM me for more details if you want.

Agile is the current way of working. In my technical skill set it is a pain as it doesn't quite fit. At this point in time we are at another big technical change (1989 move from hierarchical to relational Databases, 1995 move to COTS ERPs, 2013 big data takes off)

I've done neither, but worked on a placement with Barclays as a PM. Having discussed my options with regard to which courses to undertake I was advised to skip P2 and do the APMP.

The reasons given were that I'd taken on the corporate language whilst at Barclays and (as an experienced, yet none certified PM) the higher recognised APMP would be better and achievable.

So it all depends on your experience. If unsure do P2 as a stepping stone with a mind to doing APMP.

One of the fringe benefits of a posting to Abbeywood was securing MSP and APMP within a few weeks of arriving! Both seem to be best currency in Prog and Proj mgt.

I did a one week Prince2 Foundation and Practitioner course with a company called The Knowledge Academy. My civvy job paid for it so no idea of the cost.
Before the course you get a weeks worth of reading and tests to bring you up to a level you can start from.
PM isn't my normal 9-5 so I had no real experience but I managed to pass both.
Future employers in the IT world will look for certain qualifications on your cv, Prince2 or similar is one and ITIL is another.

I used to run a PM training & consultancy business, nowadays just concentrate on the consultancy side.

If you want to get a job in the UK as a PjM, you need PRINCE2 on the CV, you won't get passed the recruiters electronic search without it. I would advise that you just do the foundation course at this time - unless you have the time/money or get a good deal. Most people recruiting PjMs don't even realise there are foundation & practitioner levels (there's actually a Professional level now too).

If you are actually wanting to learn, then the PRINCE2 practitioner level followed by the APMP conversion would be a good route.

If you want to work for a US company, then you'll need to consider PMP.

If you're looking for a good training company, I personally would avoid The Knowledge Academy (they pay their trainers a pittance) and would go for someone like Maven.

Good luck,

Andy C

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Education/Public Sector seems to favour Prince 2; again, I'm not sure of costs as it's usually funded by employer as part of CPD

Ask 'ABF - The Soldier's Charity' for funding, Barclays donated £1m to them to do so.

ugly

LE
I used to run a PM training & consultancy business, nowadays just concentrate on the consultancy side.

If you want to get a job in the UK as a PjM, you need PRINCE2 on the CV, you won't get passed the recruiters electronic search without it. I would advise that you just do the foundation course at this time - unless you have the time/money or get a good deal. Most people recruiting PjMs don't even realise there are foundation & practitioner levels (there's actually a Professional level now too).

If you are actually wanting to learn, then the PRINCE2 practitioner level followed by the APMP conversion would be a good route.

If you want to work for a US company, then you'll need to consider PMP.

If you're looking for a good training company, I personally would avoid The Knowledge Academy (they pay their trainers a pittance) and would go for someone like Maven.

Good luck,

Andy C
I have had loads of PM roles offered without any formal training, its down in my case to career experience. The Rail Industry didn't have professional PMs for many years and its only really developed in the last 15 years as a separate career stream. Yet they still want the PMs to have sufficient technical experience in the fields. Most of the professional PMs I have met in the last 10 years haven't been much use apart from producing shiny charts and period end reports, it usually is a give away that they know very little technically when they try and bluff in meetings. My last interview on Wednesday the PM who gave me the engineers role asked why I was working as a Project Engineer (PE) and not as a PM and I answered politely but he said simply less bullshit and I agreed with him.
I worked at TfL for a number of years and they didn't use anything recognisable from the usual prince/apm type stuff. they used Spearmint which most of them paid lip service to, usually just skimping on reports as it was rare that even the summary sheets would be read. Usually if they were actually delivering the job they ignored the stage gate rubbish and got on with the job. The worst for winging it were the consultants. the worst for wasting all month writing the monthly reports were their own staff!
I have accepted the job and yet still getting invitations to interviews for design managers posts, I can only assume they are as daft as I am greedy!

Well the application criteria is having served and it's for any educational courses.

I haven't taken up the opportunity yet, I've too much on with OU and surgeons cutting my stumps, hands and cock!

You can do PRINCE2 Foundation through the DLP - it's bonk, but you really just need it to get past the Applicant Tracking Systems. No one really gives a toss on the level as long as PRINCE2 is on the CV.

Agile is the new black - again available for free if you need it in role.

There is no link other than ABF, just apply to them.

The ABF don't fund directly for education. They provide funding to other organisations for distribution. Apply to your regimental association and mention the ABF and they will act on your behalf. All grants are means tested.