Best value laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Fablonbiffchitthe1st, Feb 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning. I am after advice from those of you in the know. I have £400-£450 to spend on a new laptop. I have at present a Packard Bell and its slowly dying a death so need a new one. It is mainly used for t'internet, some homework, and pics. Decent size screen, easy to use, value for money. Have looked at Acer, Dell, HP and have seen a Sony. Also Samsung have been recommended but am steering clear of that brand as have experienced trouble with mobile phones. Dell dont have a good rep from what I hear but thas PCs. So what would you Big Bang Theory type peeps advise? Thanks.
  2. Just after Christmas my wife bought me a new HP Pavilion G6 1220sa from PC World, it was £449 (down from about £700 I think); when I last looked it was down to £429. It ticks all the right boxes: Quad Core AMD A8 (AMD's answer to the Intel i7), decent built-in Radeon graphics card, 6Gb of RAM & finally a 1Tb hard drive. Good sized keys, very good screen. It handles all my new games very well too. The battery does quite well as well, I've managed to surf and use MS Office for almost three hours just on battery.

For £400-£450 I think you'd struggle to beat it.
  3. I got one of These (an Asus X53Z) a few weeks ago - been spot on so far and I'd think it was pretty hard to beat given the spec and the build quality.
  4. Trot along to PC World: Laptops - Save Up To £230 | PC World

Prices from 299 quid and I just paid 349 quid for an HP Pavilion laptop with 4Gb ram and a 500 gb hard drive. They also gave me 10% off a wireless mouse.

5. Aside from the fact that for £50-£60 more you'll get a Quad core processor & a hard drive thats twice the size if you go for the one I suggested.........

6. Snap. I've just bought a HP Pavilion G-series for £349. I think we're on about the same. For its price, its really quite good.