Best Unit to Visit

Discussion in 'OTC and ACF' started by Unknown_Quantity, Mar 30, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

Right guys, this is an attempt at a serious thread and an experiment. Which is the best/worst unit that you have ever been attached to for a weekend or longer, why are they the best/worst and what did they do to you. As an experiment I'll delete all posts that do not have relevance or are just smilies/single words/blatent wind ups, lets see if it works eh?

2. I'm assuming you just missed Ex Brief Encounter, the Royal Artillery's open weekend for the OTCs. Alright, so it's not one unit, and it is just one giant recruiting session, but it's a bloody good weekend! Big guns, booze and birds -- how could you go wrong?

3. Unknown_Quantity

I played enemy for RGJ about 3 years ago and spent the best part of a day sharing a 2 man firetrench with a stunning blonde. Finished the ex and got pissed in their bar. Cheap, good fun and some great memories...

4. HLS

HLS Old-Salt

.........I just filled in the missing bit.

Do you folks ever get attached to the Para's, I don't recall seeing any OTC bods while I was in..........but times change.

5. Unknown_Quantity

Some individuals have been I think. ULOTC RE troop has joined and Ex BE with 4 Para who used them as assault pioneers, then as just another platoon, they said they were impressed with the job done and invited the troop back the year after.

6. best is definitly the RA fam visit, they do it unbelievably followed swiftly by a two week stint with teh RE in cyprus, :D . Worst I had was a week with the highlanders, worst Officers ever! Nearly put me off the infantry

7. A couple of lads went away with ITC to act as enemy on the recruits final ex and were given pretty much free reign a couple of years ago. All seemed to have a fantastic time, hamming up the scenario and acting as de-facto members of the imaginary Alpine Korps. The head-shed on the exercise seemed chuffed to bits to the extent of inviting them along to the recruits passing out parade in Catterick when we were up the road in Wathgill on Annual Camp.

Must've been a good one for the lads involved as they didn't shut up about it for weeks. Got to agree with Jash about the Arty. Went to Ex. Brief Encounter and went on a fam visit and was treated really well, given heaps of interesting things to do and came home with both souvenirs and a wrecked liver. Fantastic time!

8. that is because the Arty are by far the best Reg (even though everyone else hates us) but seriously the RE an RA are good cos they run one nearly every week, therefore they tend to be smooth with lots of things to play with wheres as an infantry reg generally only holds one or two visits a year so they tend to be less 'well planned' so to speak

9. Ex black eagle might be running again this year! I have to say that it was one of the best weekends i have done, along with graduate warrior, i love copehill down! but those stripy bruises that the bottom of the window ledge causes gets you some really odd looks.

10. What's Ex B E?

The best attachment I did was with PWRR. Their NI public order training beats Terra Firma hands down for realism. A great night on the piss in Canterbury and a rare chance to fire 30 rounds from a baton gun.

11. Ex Brief Encounter or Ex Black Eagle ?

Brief Encounter is the annual UOTC RA familiarisation / piss-up weekend.

Black Eagle.... ? Gawd knows.... try Fauna!

12. Unknown_Quantity

Black Eagle is a FIBUA exercise run for 4 Para, normally run at Copehill Down. There used to be an exercise Big Match run by London District but I think that was a one off since BM2 got called off and nothing has been heard since.

13. U_Q you seem to be in the know what the inf comp called held in Warminster?

14. Unknown_Quantity

The only one I can think of is the inter OTC Graduate Warrior competition (cancelled this year), that was last run by PWRR and was a mega weekend at Copehill Down again.

15. Was at the first Ex. Graduate Warrior. The camp we stayed in was a bit of a hole but the actual activities were great. Got to do heaps of things like section attacks with Warriors, Saxon Driving (pipe band chap broke the saxon!), see heaps of kit that's rarely seen, throw molotovs, fibua, mil skills, good falling plate comp, good booze up & pig roast.

All in all a good weekend!