Best Uniform?

Bit of a hypothetical question but I've often wondered what ARRSE members would consider to be the smartest/most ally/best working and combat uniform worn by the British Army over the century's?- not counting modern stuff

Scarlet tunic/ shako?
Rifle Green eg Sharpe?
Scarlet tunic/white helmet eg Zulu?
WWII Battledress?
WWII Para?
8th Army Desert?
Civil War Roundhead?
Starkers..painted blue eg Ancient Briton?

My favourite would be 1914 Tommy before issue of steel helmet

WW 2 B D was still on issue when I joined in 68 I remember shaving the trousers to get them thin enough to get a crease in. But you can stuff the KF shirts and all the B Ds itch like the devil would have been murder in hot climate. So you say no modern stuff how many bods do you expect to find that can coment on practicality of the earlier uniforms. Re enactors use modern materials for comfort so not strictly accurate. In which case you are talking the most pleasing to look at and that has to be 11th Hussars PAO Officer in full rig circa Crimean war though other regiments may have different views also to be respected.
Once an Hussar always an Hussar... note the "an " not "a" as this seems to be going out of fasion

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
No question at all. Has to be this.

Attachments

IMHO the best kit I ever wore was the old green pre-DPM combats. Triple thick and extremely well made.

I still have a set for the garden...

Properly tailored service dress from between the wars for me. Plenty of opportunity for the military dandy to fancy it up with plaited cap bands, pattern wound puttees, walking cane and a f**k off big moustache.

I think the "Britischer Frei Korps" cut a dash in those natty Waffen SS uniforms, hugo boss designed don't you know.

As for the rest, historically we've pretty much always looked like a bag of nails, perhaps we need to get a designer involved or perhaps Trinny and Susannah?

Bit of a hypothetical question but I've often wondered what ARRSE members would consider to be the smartest/most ally/best working and combat uniform worn by the British Army over the century's?-
Smartest?

Oh come on... the answer's easy! :D

http://www.army.mod.uk/infantry/regts/scots/news_room/dress/1a_dress.htm

The only way know the smartest uniform is to apply the "Wedding Test" and No 1 Alpha is a proven winner - after all it's the culmination of hundreds of years fine tuning...

Most Ally?
Not sure the uniform can ever by ally by definition, although I reckon a mid 19thC Indian Cavalry officer's campaign dress would get it. High jackboots, crimson pantaloons, blue shalwar kameez with scarlet waist sash topped with a turban and massive 'tache? Yes please

Best Working Dress
My vote goes to the RTR of the 70s. An effortless marriage of two timelessly classic looks - black coveralls mimicing the SS and a ludicrous cav-style cravat. Sartorial bliss.

Best Combat Dress
Go to be the Aussies in the Western Desert, WW2. Massive shorts, long socks, desert boots, slouch hat, rifle.... and beard. Class.

Charlie

The key point is that no two officers should ever look the same. Other than that I'm not fussed.

This does it for me :D :D :D

I'm a sucker for WW1/pre-WW2 cavalry service dress, but for classic dandy-allyness,, then look no further than Paddy Leigh Fermor in occupied Crete:

'He wore a smart moustache, kept his hair neatly under control, and his fancy dress included a finely embroidered Cretan bolero, a long, wine-coloured cummerbund (into which were thrust an ivory-handled revolver and a silver dagger), a pair of corduroy riding-breeches, and tall black boots.'...""I like them to think of me as a sort o' duke,"'

flyinghussar said:
"... Re enactors use modern materials for comfort so not strictly accurate. ..."
'fraid not - Where possible, societies go for as close a match as possible -to the extent that there is a mill in Yorkshire making SD/BD serge again (whether it is Wool/Worsted or Wool/Wool, I'm not entirely sure).

For full dress/walking out uniform for infantry & Engineers, I'd suggest the 1902/1912 pattern Tunic (the only difference is that the '12 has shoulder straps in facing colour - rather than scarlet -and brass shoulder titles) and the scarlet welted blue trousers, worn, of course, with a Slade-Wallace belt and Home Service helmet ('coloured' SD cap for walking out).

Artillery: As above, blue tunic.

Light Cavalry:Hussars- F/D: Uniform circa 1850s (Crimean).
Walking-out, an 'Atilla', similar to that worn by German Hussar officers of the 1910s.
Light Dragoons- F/D: Uniform circa 1812 (Dark blue, short tunic with plastron front in facing colours),blue overalls.
Lancers: Fd/Walking-out- as 1913

Heavy Cavalry: Circa 1913

Inter-war SD is tailored tight to be smart, but being unlined and unstructured needs a warm (collarless) shirt in cooler weather - the Great War priod SD was of a looser cut (to allow a 'waistcoat-cardigan' to be worn under it).

W

walrus said:
flyinghussar said:
"... Re enactors use modern materials for comfort so not strictly accurate. ..."
'fraid not - Where possible, societies go for as close a match as possible -to the extent that there is a mill in Yorkshire making SD/BD serge again (whether it is Wool/Worsted or Wool/Wool, I'm not entirely sure).
W
Agree 100% there are some who will compromise BUT at the top end the clothing and fabrics that make it are bang on.

Cannot tell you the fabric mix but the mill is of course Hainsworths. Makes a large range of correct wools as does Heritage fabrics in the states and Styalls mills for your correct cottons

You need the correct fabrics to get the correct look of the garment.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jockass The NAAFI Bar 49
Captain_Calamity Army Reserve 34
Hitlerwasabitnaughty The NAAFI Bar 33