Best U.S. President?

Red Shrek

War Hero
crabtastic said:
He's not your Commander in Chief, you're a civvy.
This is a good point you bring up and i think we had talked about this issue in a previos thread. On the news yesterday, i could not help but notice the news presenter lady say the words "Today, our Commander In Chief spent the holidays..." and i thought about it a bit. The Presidency has been fully militiarised or the news folks are clueless. The President is the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces not the Civilian population. Even Bush and his people use this term to refer to Bush in non-military context and i think that is something not enough attention is paid to so that a correction can be given.

Ord_Sgt said:
TW will you take your stupid dumb ass out of my thread - I was going to put a comment in the original post that you were not welcome

So you post a thread in the MULTINATIONAL FORUM about AMERICAN PRESIDENTS yet you wish to bar AMERICAN posters who regularly contribute to ARRSE?

Why did you not post in the NAAFI?

Ord_Sgt

RIP
RIP
armchair_jihad said:
Ord_Sgt said:
TW will you take your stupid dumb ass out of my thread - I was going to put a comment in the original post that you were not welcome

So you post a thread in the MULTINATIONAL FORUM about AMERICAN PRESIDENTS yet you wish to bar AMERICAN posters who regularly contribute to ARRSE?

Why did you not post in the NAAFI?

Probably would have been better off in the NAAFI with his contribution.

No not wanting to preclude our American cousins so long as they have something constructive to add. :thumleft:

FlakeShag

Old-Salt
Even Bush and his people use this term to refer to Bush in non-military context and i think that is something not enough attention is paid to so that a correction can be given.
Anything to sound like the "coolest" nation, "man"!

Back on topic, I am not entirely sure that the USA is a nation born legally, a load of traitors separated by a mass of sea see their chance and overthrow the governance, killing and losing many soldiers who were fighting for/against the treachery. (A question, not a statement).

Ord_Sgt said:
Seems Ronnie is not as popular as I thought - I still like the guy. Having spent some time reading up on FDR I do agree he was an extraordinary guy. Why did he break with tradition though and go for more than two terms in office - which I believe was the accepted norm after George Washington refused a third term?

So is there no legal/constitutional reason why American Presidents can't run a third term? Is it just tradition that stops them?

Ord_Sgt said:
Taking it a step further who is the best 'ever' president and why?

I'm guessing George Washington has to be up there but then again I have limited knowledge of the subject so might need 'educating'. :thumright:

You did say in your thread the last 100 years

dingerr said:
Ord_Sgt said:
Seems Ronnie is not as popular as I thought - I still like the guy. Having spent some time reading up on FDR I do agree he was an extraordinary guy. Why did he break with tradition though and go for more than two terms in office - which I believe was the accepted norm after George Washington refused a third term?

So is there no legal/constitutional reason why American Presidents can't run a third term? Is it just tradition that stops them?

Ord_Sgt said:
Taking it a step further who is the best 'ever' president and why?

I'm guessing George Washington has to be up there but then again I have limited knowledge of the subject so might need 'educating'. :thumright:

You did say in your thread the last 100 years

It was initially just a convention, established by Washington himself. FDR was elected to 4 consecutive terms- since he seemed to be doing a decent job pulling the country of the Great Depression and then handling WWII.

However, the 22nd Amendment, ratified in 1951, was then enacted:

No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President, when this Article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.

This limited the President to two terms. (Johnson almost could have done 2 and a bit terms, but he withdrew from the '68 race because he was seen to be stuffing up the Vietnam War and would probably have lost his own party's nomination to Bobby Kennedy in the Primaries.)

Basically, it was a device used by Republicans who, by the time the 1952 election came around, hadn't seen the the inside of the White House for 20 years. This came to bite Ronnie on the ass because he really wanted a third term and probably would have won it- even though there were concerns about the onset of his Alzheimers. That would have been fun to watch. :thumright: Bubba Clinton probably would have walked the 2000 election too.

Schleswig-Holstein said:
See here for a nice comparison of what the US voters thought of recent presidents over time..

GWB looks to be on a bit of a losing run! :thumright:

Not just the Prez also Congress.

http://www.pollingreport.com/CongJob.htm

In short all of DC is top heavy with ass clowns, even after the mid-terms when the Dems took control of Congress.

Wessex_Man

War Hero
In modern times, IMO, Harry Truman because he did the necessary with no apologies, and Eisenhower for his astuteness in difficult times; plus he has been proved more right than wrong re his prognostications re "The Military Industrial Complex" and its insidious effects on all and sundry - very perceptive fellow, IMO.

Latest Threads