Best U.S. President?

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Ord_Sgt, Feb 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Best U.S. President in the last 100 years?

I think it would have to be Ronald Reagan in my view. Won the cold war by outspending the Rooskies. Had a great sense of humour and seems to have been liked personally by anyone who ever met him.

His wiki entry.

Any other suggestions from our colonial cousins?

[edited to change the title]

2. Ronnie? :frustrated: you have to be Joking... he made Bush Jr look like an intellectual

some quotes:

"Facts are stupid things." –at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Trees cause more pollution than automobiles."

"All the waste in a year from a nuclear power plant can be stored under a desk."

"Approximately 80 percent of our air pollution stems from hydrocarbons released by vegetation, so let's not go overboard in setting and enforcing tough emission standards from man-made sources."

'President Reagan fails to reconize his only black Cabinet member, Housing Secretary Samuel Pierce, at a White House reception
    for big city mayors. "How are you, Mr. Mayor?"
    he greets him. "I'm glad to meet you. How are things in your city?"

and best of all:

"We have never interfered in the internal government of a country and have no intention of doing so, never have had any thought of that kind."
    hmmm - tell that to the poor fookers in latin america..

I'd vote for FDR...

3. George W Bush of course!

possibly the best since Washington.

4. But this one has the best openng line in a wiki,

USG

However I'd vote for, Nixon, much maligned and misunderstood.

5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

If you do some further research on the guy and read beyond the gaffes you can see he really was a great guy and much underated in my opinion.

Just reading some of that on FDR now....

6. Lincoln follwed by "The Gipper" and Nixon in that order.

7. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Come on mate read the question - Lincoln's not allowed ;)

Why Nixon though? Still reading FDR and not got to Nixon yet....

8. Because I liked the fact he went after the media :D I hate journos (a slight spin on Hardaway's comments)

9. All kidding aside his Foreign policy with respect to USSR and China.

His domestic policy was a bit to liberal for me, with the exception of civil rights and getting rid of the gold standard.

Since Lincoln is not allowed would put my vote for "The Gipper"

What surprises me is that Blacks in the US are predominately Democrats, yet starting with Lincoln up till present the Republican party has done more to create an equal playing field for blacks then the dems ever have. Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

10. I'm really not kidding when I say...

Has there been one?

11. I'm with S-H on Ronnie being a plank:

'The battle for the mind of Ronald Reagan was like the trench warfare of World War 1: Never have so many fought so hard for such barren terrain.'

Peggy Noonan, special assistant and speech writer to the man himself 1984-88.

Yes, he outspent the USSR but also created giant budget deficits in the process of a policy that could be seen as working by accident: he spent not because he knew they were weak but because he believed they were strong. Nice guy granted, but we're talking about being President.

He also called the Afghan mujihadin the moral equivalent of America's Founding Fathers. Tell that to those in Helmand now...

I'm with the FDR vote: the New Deal was what was needed at the time and he showed great leadership during the Great Depression and WW2 even if he was arguably a little too cynical about Churchill and a too little cynical about Stalin.

A measure of Presidential effectiveness is how much of their legislation they get through Congress. Using this measure, LBJ comes out surprisingly well, JFK not so good.

12. Johnson's Great Society programme included?

13. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

OK agree that Nixon achieved some pretty good things - school desegregation as one example but he didn't really achieve anything spectacular, unless I'm missing something.

Indeed he had some pretty bad lapses of judgment in my book - not just breaking into the Watergate offices but taping the conversations arranging it. Although to be fair he did 'lose' that bit of tape.

Can't forgive him for approving the space shuttle program though and effectively setting back the progress into space 30 years.

14. Seconded.