Best trade for travelling to and from Newcastle

Sorry if this is in the wrong section it’s my first post. I’m joining up as soon as I’ve finished my GCSE’s and I want to join either as a vehicle mechanic, general fitter, aircraft technician or avionics. I have no problem with doing my phase one in Harrogate but everywhere else for phase 2 is at the other end of the country to Newcastle. I’m equally interested in all 4 trades but want to be spending minimal time/money getting there and back on weekends and on leave. Please bear in mind my 17th birthday is in April so I won’t be able to drive for the first 4 months or so of my phase 2 training but I plan to get a car as soon as I can.
Vm- Lyneham for 46 weeks
General fitter- camberly for 9 weeks then Chatham for 41 weeks
Aircraft technician- 66 weeks at Lyneham
Avionics- 82 weeks at Lyneham
Also if I wanted to go into aircraft or avionics I would have to be in the south of England as all of the aac are stationed there, i really don’t think I would be able to go home on weekends if I did because the journey just takes too long even if I did have a car. Just asking for peoples opinions.

Are you leaving home or joining the Army? Ideally you should be doing both. Sorry to be blunt but get the most you can out of the Army at present and that includes doing things after work with lads and on weekends together.

syrup

LE
Are you leaving home or joining the Army? Ideally you should be doing both. Sorry to be blunt but get the most you can out of the Army at present and that includes doing things after work with lads and on weekends together.

This why join up if you want to be home on weekends?
If you want to be home all the time join the reserve.

What happens if you get posted overseas.
Really expensive to get home on weekends then

Yeah I only meant for weekends when/if I did want to go home, I’ve got a girlfriend and a worried mam who thinks 16 is far too young to be signing up, not that I wanted to go home every weekend. I don’t think I made that clear my bad.

You might find that Newcastle loses it's refulgent lustre once you've discovered the delights of Swindon.

Dr Death

War Hero
You decide the trade you want but the UK travel system not as bad as India, yet.
Train travel not so bad if you are on your way home to your bit of rough/skirt?
A link from camp to local station of if you go AAC then free flights on offer most weekends.
Lyneham to Newcastle 7 hrs by car just depends how fast you drive?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section it’s my first post. I’m joining up as soon as I’ve finished my GCSE’s and I want to join either as a vehicle mechanic, general fitter, aircraft technician or avionics. I have no problem with doing my phase one in Harrogate but everywhere else for phase 2 is at the other end of the country to Newcastle. I’m equally interested in all 4 trades but want to be spending minimal time/money getting there and back on weekends and on leave. Please bear in mind my 17th birthday is in April so I won’t be able to drive for the first 4 months or so of my phase 2 training but I plan to get a car as soon as I can.
Vm- Lyneham for 46 weeks
General fitter- camberly for 9 weeks then Chatham for 41 weeks
Aircraft technician- 66 weeks at Lyneham
Avionics- 82 weeks at Lyneham
Also if I wanted to go into aircraft or avionics I would have to be in the south of England as all of the aac are stationed there, i really don’t think I would be able to go home on weekends if I did because the journey just takes too long even if I did have a car. Just asking for peoples opinions.
Young man,

The advice from other posters above is succinct but still very worthy. Please consider the following 2 points.

1. If your desire to join the Army is stronger than your desire/need to get home at weekends than crack on and make the best of your training. It is never an easy ride leaving home at 16 (I did it too). If the current girlfriend (you most likely will have others) and your Mum need you more the your desire to join than delay joining.

2. If you do join up please be aware that most likely there will be other lads or lasses who may wish to travel North at weekends and you may be able to share a lift/petrol costs.

I did Phase 2 in Yorkshire (back in the Dark Ages) and was able to get a lift to London (the centre of the Universe) most weekends.

My bottom line - Join up, write/email/phone your Mum often. Make new mates, meet new girls and have the best time you can.

Dalef65

Old-Salt
The ability and convenience of getting home at weekends should not be a factor in which Trade you choose.
Choose the trade which best suits your career and life aspirations, and then work your weekends around that.
There is also the somewhat radical theory** (!!!) that one joins the Army to get away from one's home town, not devise ways of running back home every 7 days.

This may seem to not be an answer to your question, but at the moment you come off as not being ready for the Army.

**Radical to the modern generation maybe..?

You’re a young lad so beyond next month is probably a lifetime away which, believe it or not, is a good thing. Another good thing is that you are trying to think ahead.

The other advice above I’d second, chose a trade based on what you want to do. You may also want to think even further ahead and consider what that trade might prepare you for in later (civi) life. I can’t speak for most of them but avionics would make you a very employable commodity and attract good pay. ISTR that it also attracts higher band pay in the mob too, to deter you from taking your expensive skills elsewhere?

Regarding mum and your girlfriend, maybe hold off joining if it concerns you enough to go seeking advice here? Everyone here was 16 once and in my personal experience, the girlfriend will go the way of most 16 year old romances and your mum will tire of having a teen loafing about and come round to the idea of her lad making his own way in the world. From your perspective it’ll also confirm (or possibly not, but reading your post I’d doubt that) your desire to take the path you’ve already decided on.

Others are better qualified than me but I’d also suggest that a year older might give you more maturity and make Phase 1 easier, it’s hard enough without “homesickness”?

Whichever way you chose, all the very best to you.

OP when I first went to Harrogate I used to go home most weekends, this got less and less over time until by the time I got to my unit I pretty much never went home.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much, as time goes on things will change for you I’m sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

NemoIII

War Hero
Lyneham to Newcastle 7 hrs by car just depends how fast you drive?

Sunday night, without stopping and sitting at the limit, 4.5 hours. Probably a bit quicker if you floor it down the A1 because there isn't many speed camera.

The UK really isn't that big of a place and I wouldn't choose trades on being close to home. Most units will finish at 12 on a Friday so you will likely be home before 8 at the latest from anywhere on a Friday.

Remember to get your Forces Railcard which gets you 33% off rail fares. There may well be other lads from the North East, and Scotland in your unit, who have cars, and will give you a lift, either to your door, or to the nearest station, with you chipping in a few quid for the fuel.
I work all over the country, and still manage to get back to Gateshead on Friday nights. But I do not have a 16 year old girlfriend, and my mum couldn't wait to get rid of me, when I joined up.
As said before, you will make mates in training, anyway, and spend time with them at weekends, either stagging on, or checking the local totty.
Even if you stay in Newcastle, you will split with your 16 year old at some point. We have all lost girlfriends due to the distance and inconvenience of being based away. Some of mine were closer to your mum's age!!
Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Thank you, apologies
Remember to get your Forces Railcard which gets you 33% off rail fares. There may well be other lads from the North East, and Scotland in your unit, who have cars, and will give you a lift, either to your door, or to the nearest station, with you chipping in a few quid for the fuel.
I work all over the country, and still manage to get back to Gateshead on Friday nights. But I do not have a 16 year old girlfriend, and my mum couldn't wait to get rid of me, when I joined up.
As said before, you will make mates in training, anyway, and spend time with them at weekends, either stagging on, or checking the local totty.
Even if you stay in Newcastle, you will split with your 16 year old at some point. We have all lost girlfriends due to the distance and inconvenience of being based away. Some of mine were closer to your mum's age!!
Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Excellent point regarding the Rail Card. Good call.

Regards

BA

Don't worry about the girlfriend - it's unlikely to last.

You're mum will get over it, she'll be dead proud of you - and you will definitely not tell her half the things you get up to.

Look forward and upwards - go for a trade/job you really want to do, and providing you pass the necessary aptitude tests stick to it - don't be swayed by anyone else including the recruiters.

Good luck - work hard & embrace the Army for everything it can offer, you'll have a ball.

OP when I first went to Harrogate I used to go home most weekends, this got less and less over time until by the time I got to my unit I pretty much never went home.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much, as time goes on things will change for you I’m sure.
not to mention that there will be working weekends, getting dicked for guard and even study for exams or just being worn out

Leave! As soon as you are in and make new like minded mates, Home will be a distant memory. Don’t even look back

I’m sorry I can’t really reply to you all individually because of some timer where I have to wait. I think I worded it badly, I’m not wanting to go home every weekend or base my choice on what is easiest to travel, I’d just rather not be spending all day travelling or spend a lot of money. I guess I did assume I be home a few weekends during my training but maybe not so I’ll just full send it because it’s what I really want.
Also, which trade is the best for the future as in promotions, qualifications and life after the army, thanks for any help

Choose the trade that appeals most to you and, in terms of getting home as and when you choose to, just take the hit of having to beg a car share from colleagues or a long train trek. The best trade for you is the one that you will enjoy most.

Choosing the best trade for you will pay off more than the one that gets you home more often. It's a long time to be miserable if the trade that gets you home most easily also turns out to be gash.

Make the best decisions for you and then write/call home to mum and the girlfriend as often as you can or choose and then visit in person when it is most opportune to do so.

Don't worry about the girlfriend - it's unlikely to last.

You're mum will get over it, she'll be dead proud of you - and you will definitely not tell her half the things you get up to.

Look forward and upwards - go for a trade/job you really want to do, and providing you pass the necessary aptitude tests stick to it - don't be swayed by anyone else including the recruiters.

Good luck - work hard & embrace the Army for everything it can offer, you'll have a ball.
I went home around Christmas 69 after coming back from the first tour in NI. My girlfriend had sent me a 'dear John' shortly after I arrived in Belfast - stuck it on the Company notice board (along with her address and telephone number). Went back to camp just after New Year - I was 20 years old. Next time I went home I was 31 - they still recognized me.

Latest Threads