Best toy as a kid- now not seen due to H&S

Little O_B had a his bday today and while having a beer at the BBQ we were talking over "our best toys" as Kids.

Apart fom my 1/3 scale SLR I remembered the days of fun we had in summer and winter as we played on our tractor tyre inner tubes.

Patched up and inflated by the local garage for nowt , Summer holiday we would walk up to the river and spend all day "tubing" back down to the steps nearest out houses. A good 4 hours even without stopping to dice with death over the wears (grade 3 and 4 in a canoe) This was 13, 14 year old kids wearing a pair of shorts and flat running shoes like army daps. - cant do it today due to H&S.

Winter was up to the hills with same inner to tube down. Great until someone decided to build a 2 foot ramp at the bottom. Good air time but snows turns hard after a few nights at - 5.

Ace fun and we were outside all day without a worry in the world.

Shame its all changed :cry:

jarrod248 said:
I remember having a bowie knife and so did all my brothers and friends, we never went and stuck them into anyone. Most kids seemed to have air rifles and it didn't cause many people much harm - then one of my brothers did lose an eye.
Did he check his pockets?

Yup, I had bowie knives and air rifles as a kid. Even had bow and arrows that my dad made me, lethal as hell but, the most dangerous thing I ever had was something called 'clackers'. You older ones may remember the two concrete (or so it seemed) balls on a piece of string which you had to hold in one hand, bounce of each other until they were meeting at the top and then keep the momentum going thus making a 'clacking' noise.
I lost count of the bruises I received and just lucky not to have broken any bones.
AJ

This has to be the best one:

Oddly enough, it only went on sale for a year but:

for a mere $49.50, the kit came complete with three "very low-level" radioactive sources, a Geiger-Mueller radiation counter, a Wilson cloud chamber (to see paths of alpha particles), a spinthariscope (to see "live" radioactive disintegration), four samples of uranium-bearing ores, and an electroscope to measure radioactivity.

I've got a cracking scar across my hand from the day one of my preschool friends bought me a penknife for my 6th birthday.

Note that not only did my friend buy it from a shop himself (he was 6 too), my parents were completely relaxed about me having it (as long as I was careful).

Anyway, our game of Tarzan was short-lived as I was rushed to casualty with blood gushing alles uber de plats.

Shall I tell you story of when I cut my little brother's finger tips off with a pair of scissors?

my AK-47...how is that unsafe.

An equally dangerous item I created was a form of catapult.
"try this at home kids" (not really).
broomstick. hammer nail into the tip (parralell to stick)
at the opposite end attach a clothes peg (many elastic bands will do) but make sure it can be opened and closed.
make ammunition- attach an elastic band to the "spring" from a clothes peg.
stretch elastic band from nail and place "spring" into the jaws of the peg.

et voila an elastic rifle, very dangerous, I accidentaly killed a bird with it as a kid.

oh the memories.

Lawn Darts

Removable parts? Suffocation risk? Lead paint? Pussy hazards compared to the granddaddy of them all. Lawn Darts, or "Jarts," as they were marketed, would never fly in our current ultraparanoid, safety-helmeted, Dr. Phil toy culture. Lawn darts were massive weighted spears. You threw them. They stuck where they landed. If they happened to land in your skull, well, then you should have moved. During their brief (and generally awesome) reign in 1980s [American] suburbia, Jarts racked up 6,700 injuries and four deaths.

The best part about Jarts was that they eliminated all speculation from true outdoor fun. (Is this dangerous? Hell yes, now chuck it!) And they were equal opportunity: All it took to play lawn darts was a sweaty grip. For good measure, it was also nice to have a small sibling around to stand on the other side of the house and tell you how your throw looked (and by how much you cleared the chimney).

The actual rules of lawn darts, as laid out by the manufacturer, were never important. No one is known to have used Jarts for their intended purpose. It shouldn't be surprising, then, that an accident involving a wayward spear and the semipermeable head of a 7-year-old resulted in the toys being banned from the [US] market in 1988. Sadly, today's underage boys will never know the primal excitement of a summer's evening spent impaling friends before suppertime.

N.B. Lawn darts are apparently still legal in the UK:

http://www.creativethinkingstore.co.uk/trolleyed/2/index.htm

I had the toy SLR as well, good timing OB as a couple of weeks ago my grandson asked for a toy rifle, can I find one in the shops....can I feck. I`ve been told that anything resembling a firearm has to be brightly coloured so it can`t be mistaken for a real one. I found a bright blue Uzi looking thing for a couple of quid, he took one look at it and asked if I could paint it black or green.
Oh and remember don`t go putting up a bouncy castle at your kids birthday party..you could end up slightly out of pocket. :x

as regard toy guns, what was the point if it doesnt look real. I have an ingenious scheme:
I shall paint a glock bright colours in order to commit random crimes, people will believe it to be a toy until it is too late...

bwah ha ha

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
One of my great great grandfathers left behind the story of his upbringing - his cousin George shot him with a pistol - fortunately George had put the ball in first so the bang was not great and the ball bounced off. Another time they played tightrope walking across a high beam in a barn - gggfather came to with the shod hoof of a carthorse an inch from his head - I added up 24 near fatal incidents in his first 24 years. In the last he was shot in the groin during a riot in India and survived that and the surgeon groping for the ball with his fingers. Eventually the face of his assailant was brought to him in a basket. Lived to 85.

Fast forward - anyone remember Jetex solid-fuel small rocket engines fortoy planes? Fun was to forget the plane, just light the Jetex, plonk it on the deck and let it fizz around a crowded floor.

It surely has to be the rope/tree swing... often constructed above a large drop (or a river) miles from civilisation. I recall one particular event, as I had elected to do a "tarzan" one-handed effort with the other hand tucked into the armpit pretending to be a chimpanzee, shouting Cheetah monkey sh1te, until I realised (about 2 milliseconds in) that the G-forces were a bit more substantial than I'd anticipated and that I was in danger of falling 50 feet to my death. Rope gripped for dear life and brown, late seventies style underpants very nearly soiled!

Great times!

Anyone remember the colt cap gun ? You put a roll of blue paper into the gun and pulled the trigger. The caps were little black dots on the roll.

As you fired, another cap got hammered.

seaweed said:
One of my great great grandfathers left behind the story of his upbringing - his cousin George shot him with a pistol - fortunately George had put the ball in first so the bang was not great and the ball bounced off. Another time they played tightrope walking across a high beam in a barn - gggfather came to with the shod hoof of a carthorse an inch from his head - I added up 24 near fatal incidents in his first 24 years. In the last he was shot in the groin during a riot in India and survived that and the surgeon groping for the ball with his fingers. Eventually the face of his assailant was brought to him in a basket. Lived to 85.

Fast forward - anyone remember Jetex solid-fuel small rocket engines fortoy planes? Fun was to forget the plane, just light the Jetex, plonk it on the deck and let it fizz around a crowded floor.
Jetex? Fucking hell. They were expensive but you could have a ball with a model plane and a Jetex.

Litotes

JoseyWales said:
Anyone remember the colt cap gun ? You put a roll of blue paper into the gun and pulled the trigger. The caps were little black dots on the roll.

Oh yes, and I also remember getting two bolts and a nut, putting the nut on the end of one bolt, filling the void of the nut with said caps, screwing the other bolt onto the nut and chucking it in the air - result, it came down and when it hit the ground (hopefully on one end) the caps would all explode (well, make a sort of cracking sound)

paratus said:
JoseyWales said:

Oh yes, and I also remember getting two bolts and a nut, putting the nut on the end of one bolt, filling the void of the nut with said caps, screwing the other bolt onto the nut and chucking it in the air - result, it came down and when it hit the ground (hopefully on one end) the caps would all explode (well, make a sort of cracking sound)
who needs frag grenades when that device exists. I may recreate the experience :D

I used to play with my sisters veiny under developed tits.

jarrod248 said:
I remember having a bowie knife and so did all my brothers and friends, we never went and stuck them into anyone
We played knifie knifie, you stood with your feet apart and someone chucked the knife at your feet. Don't remember anyone ever getting a blade impaled.....

Home made carts that your grandfather knocked up from an orange box and some bicycle tyres, and you flew down the hill.

We always played football in the street too, not so many cars around in those days.