Best Towns

Ripon, Harrogate, Richmond (the proper one), Helmsley, Pickering, Malton, Stokesley...

Anyone noticed a trend?
Now your talking, Pickering, just spent a week there in my touring caravan, absolutely bloody beautiful, the air was so clean and crisp, it’s not particularly inundated with tourists (except me I know) and the North Yorkshire Moors Railway is just blooming awesome, we had a day out on it to Whitby, fish n chips on the sea front and then back to Pickering in time for a few lagers and a huge gin nightcap! Wonderful part of the World!

I love Northumberland, West Tynedale in particular although there's w@nkers in every part of the UK.

Handy for Newcastle and the coast is 40 mins away. A decent river 5 mins away. Town parks and what's left of Hadrians Wall all over the shop.

Champion.

Partisan I know but I have to speak up for Bridlington especially what is known as the 'Old Town' rather than the 19th/early20th C. development around what was Bridlington Quay.
Loads of boozers, barmy but fiercely loyal locals, active shooting club, close to the Wolds and plenty of other greenery and woodland, great music and sporting scenes as well as two stunning sandy bays.
The harbour fleet is still landing plenty of shellfish and if you can take the odd physical confrontation with the area's pikeys, the locals will back you up and wade in with windmill fists.

Someone mentioned Alton.. never personally went there. I seem to recall it was the last stop from Waterloo, on the Aldershot train line.
I remember the tannoy announcement ‘ Aldershot, this is Aldershot.

Someone mentioned Alton.. never personally went there. I seem to recall it was the last stop from Waterloo, on the Aldershot train line.
I remember the tannoy announcement ‘ Aldershot, this is Aldershot.
My bold. That makes sense, if it said" Aberdeen, this is Aberdeen" it could be confusing, especially for those of a jockistan persuasion.( Sarcastic mode off ) :p

I was in Penarth just this afternoon. Mrs Ancient wanted to see the Matisse exhibition at Turner House. Not my thing but needs must. Scampi and chips on the pier after and a nice saunter back up the hill after. I'd live there if it wasn't for the single road into Cardiff that would make the morning commute intolerable. Pontcanna in West Cardiff works better for me, despite being less affluent, being a 15 minute walk to the city centre and having a pleasantly bohemian atmosphere, a theatre club, some excellent pubs, picturesque Victorian streets and fewer ********* per square mile than much of the rest of the UK.
Thoroughly agree with all of the above. I´ve been out of the UK for over 20 years, except for an 18 month contract in South Wales three years ago. Based myself in Pontacanna and what a great decision that was. Don´t forget also the joys of Pontacanna Fields and Bute park and the proximity of Glamorgan cricket (20/20 on a summers evening with a few pints can´t be beaten) and walking distance to the Principality Stadium and Cardiff Arms Park. If I were to move back to Britain full time (unlikely) it would be to Pontacanna.

ugly

LE
Partisan I know but I have to speak up for Bridlington especially what is known as the 'Old Town' rather than the 19th/early20th C. development around what was Bridlington Quay.
Loads of boozers, barmy but fiercely loyal locals, active shooting club, close to the Wolds and plenty of other greenery and woodland, great music and sporting scenes as well as two stunning sandy bays.
The harbour fleet is still landing plenty of shellfish and if you can take the odd physical confrontation with the area's pikeys, the locals will back you up and wade in with windmill fists.
I should be working there later this year

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Funny thing about Malling Precast, is that it’s actually in Snodland, Halling or Rochester. Depending on how you reckon these things.

As counterarguments go, I’d say King’s Hill is a better one :D
Kings Hill is nothing more than a spiralling over priced housing estate with an Asda, oh it does have a Waitrose so people can say, “oh yes we live in Kings Hill.”
And the traffic in West Malling was a fecking nightmare 15 years or so ago.
Now for me the best town is the quaint old market town of Usk.
I haven’t been there for several years but I knew it well as my grandparents lived there. There were lots of pubs that did a good meal, The Salmons being one, places for the kids to play (The Island) away from houses, lovely walks along the river Usk, woods to walk in and again play in when you were a kid, and the town it’s self dates back hundreds of years I think it goes back as far as Roman times. Good road links to the M4 Monmouth not far.
My late grandfather was a great painter and fisherman, this is one of my favourite pictures that he painted, Usk Bridge.
Very expensive a terraced house just went for £750kish. When my numbers come up I’m moving there.

84BA13E7-1424-4D60-80A2-F396ADB4E5AF.jpeg

Last edited:

Tool

LE
Someone's been reading ARRSE...

Since 2009, comedian Mark Steel has travelled across the UK and beyond, exploring weird and wonderful towns, writing a stand-up show about each one (57 so far…and counting), and performing it for the locals and us in Mark Steel’s In Town. As more of us choose to spend our holidays closer to home, we asked Mark to pick his favourite towns from across the UK.

I should be working there later this year
You'll find the usual infestation of junkies, alkies and nutters as in any seaside town but we found most of the locals to be sound bunch and very welcoming.
I hope that the pubs around the old High Street have all survived the last 18 months. Not been able to go up to our house there for 5 years.
The place even has its own saint, St. John of Bridlington who was cellarman at the Priory.
Any idea where you are staying?
We love the place.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Alton looks nice but has always been full of crazies and inbreds.

One of my housemates was threatened with a shotgun for looking at the wrong woman in a pub in Alton!

I love Northumberland, West Tynedale in particular although there's w@nkers in every part of the UK.

Handy for Newcastle and the coast is 40 mins away. A decent river 5 mins away. Town parks and what's left of Hadrians Wall all over the shop.

Champion.

Is it flat? I love Newcastle, but the hills kill me.

ugly

LE
You'll find the usual infestation of junkies, alkies and nutters as in any seaside town but we found most of the locals to be sound bunch and very welcoming.
I hope that the pubs around the old High Street have all survived the last 18 months. Not been able to go up to our house there for 5 years.
The place even has its own saint, St. John of Bridlington who was cellarman at the Priory.
Any idea where you are staying?
We love the place.
Hopefully I’ll be able to find out soon

Latest Threads