Best Towns

We have the worst towns thread.

What are the best towns and why?

I’ve just spent a few days in Worthing, I like it because it’s fairly flat and I found a great cafe that served nice coffee and home made baklava.

Hawes in Wensleydale. Went through there on foot a couple of years back with my son and it was completely unchanged since the 1970s when I last camped near there, with the exception of the Midland Bank sign now being HSBC.

Corfe although it’s actually a village. Did a conference in Bournmouth many years ago and arriving early on the Sunday, I did a tour of the area including driving through Corfe and was impressed by how nice it looked.

Booked into a Bournemouth B&B that night and after a night in a shabby room and a really crap breakfast in the morning, booked out, did the first days conference and then drove out to Corfe and found a small B&B.

The B&B was probably the best I’d ever used with a spotless room, a great made to order breakfast in the mornings and in the evenings, the few pubs in Corfe served great food and great beer. The rest of the week was a real treat!

I can’t believe that I’ve never been back but I will revisit it one day soon.

Last edited:
I know a lot of you guys don't like it, but in the UK for me it's London. End of.

Apart from that I do like Edinburgh a lot. There are few other places like Leamington Spa, Kenilworth etc. which seemed nice, but haven't spent much time in those.

There are a few other pretty villages I've been to but can't remember the names.

We have the worst towns thread.

What are the best towns and why?

I’ve just spent a few days in Worthing, I like it because it’s fairly flat and I found a great cafe that served nice coffee and home made baklava.
I am tired of hearing how shit every town/ country is. We need some positive topics around here Brits!

I know a lot of you guys don't like it, but in the UK for me it's London. End of.

Apart from that I do like Edinburgh a lot.

There are a few other pretty villages I've been to (can't remember the names), but not many towns.
London's fucking shite.
Noisy, busy, full of ethnics.

I think that’s a bit of a cheat @redshift (although I do agree with you).

I think if anyone nominates a big city they have to specify which part of it.

Petersfield is a pretty good place to live. Big enough to have most things but small enough to not have the problems big cities/towns have.

Ripon, Harrogate, Richmond (the proper one), Helmsley, Pickering, Malton, Stokesley...

Anyone noticed a trend?

I think that’s a bit of a cheat @redshift (although I do agree with you).

I think if anyone nominates a big city they have to specify which part of it.

Petersfield is a pretty good place to live. Big enough to have most things but small enough to not have the problems big cities/towns have.
There are far too many areas of London I like to list them here individually. At the moment, I am living around Greenwich which is quite nice and so was my last one at Hampstead.

Just list towns by " diversity" those with the lesser of it are usually the most peaceful and pleasant to live in.

That should be a clue to some people but its not.

You will probably like places like Fordwich or Broughton in Furness then.
I prefer small villages in Northumberland, mainly because I live in one.

Less than 200 villagers, a local pub and nice scenery overlooking the coastline.

.......and no moped muggings, knifings or acid attacks.

Less than 200 villagers, a local pub and nice scenery overlooking the coastline.

I am sure it's nice and all, to visit and live there for short periods. But for longer periods, I will probably be bored out of my mind. Maybe when I am a lot more older.

I believe that Rothbury's lone horse died shortly after my wife left...

ugly

LE
Towns aren't really that nice, the one I live in is really several villages swamped by the former seaside resort of Eastbourne. I live in the fringes of one of the estates that was compulsory purchased post war to be developed into housing. Lots of village life either side of us, the Old Town is in effect a village with several pubs and distinct areas separate from the town along the seafront. Willingdon is lovely but the developers have tried to squeeze ever more housing in. The old village is split between two district/borough councils with the best bit and both pubs on the Eastbourne side including the post office (dating from 1600 something) still in use as a post office. I'd like to use the village more but the road out of town cuts the high street in half.
Jevington and Folkington are my favourite villages outside of the town but Folkington doesn't have a pub, you can walk to the 8 bells in Jevington though and its worth it. No juke box, tv or wifi make it a lovely place for lunch and it also usually is a mobile phone dead spot!