Best time to lift weights?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ????, May 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I recently heard that weight training before bed was a bad idea because the muscles take a long time to take in the nutrients required to grow.

At the moment I lift weights about an hour before bed and consume a protein shake immediately afterwards before going to sleep.

Would I be better to lift weights earlier in the day?

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

The best time to lift them, is when they are down. When they are up, you only have to lower them.

aaah, my ride, oo, and my coat, why, thanks!
  3. It's arguably better to train in the morning / afternoon if feasible when your energy levels are highest & you're at your freshest. Research also seems to suggest that training quite late at night also affects your sleep.

Each to their own though. If you aren't experiencing a negative impact then carry on. A light meal post workout will ensure your body receives some nutrients without affecting your sleep as with a large meal. Contractile protein synthesis - "muscle growth / repair" - generally peaks 24-36 hours post-workout anyway.
  4. 9:45 pm on a sunday night.
  5. They say insulin sensitivity and cortisol levels are highest in the morning (this is a bad thing).

I think I got that the right way around.

IMO train when you can. Often you can get a good session in the morning because by the time the pm comes around you feel drained and less motivated and if you train too late body temp remains high and you can't go to sleep later which leads to a poor performance the next day.
  6. Doesn't matter
  7. As 1manriot said, it doesnt matter. The best time is when you feel like it.
  8. best time to lift weights is when you,ve got metallica or ac/dc in your mp3 player! :twisted: