Best time and place to have served?

Many here often quote about when they viewed the army lost it's various edges (numbers, facilities, length between tours etc), so I'm just wondering when and where people think that was the best place to be during the course of their service, and why.
Me? I'd go for Germany in the late 80's. We were well funded, infrequent tours, excellent accomodation almost everywhere. Travel claims for singlies going on leave (remember them?), a recognised reason for being there, trips to the PX for vast quantities of Budweiser for a pittence. Adventure training and expeditions to go on almost every year. Snow Queen and the Nijmegan Marches for thoses who wished for snow or sore feet. All in all, a great place to be in a very interesting time.

damn those commies for quitting :D :D :D :D

80's in Germany gets my vote. LOA when I arrived in 1987 was dished out in buckets there was so much of it. Cheap second hand cars, cheap beer, hideous amounts of 'adventure' training, sports afternoons, weekends spent with the lads on the lash or at a BBQ, cheap restaurants, ugly German girls who were goers. And the summers seemed to last longer.

The Sudan, 1880-1890.

A serious army with serious funding and serious numbers.

Up with Kitchener down with the Mahdhi dervishes!

Hurrah!

:roll: ..That-said. In those days if i'd applied for a commission in those days i'd be turned-down outright and kicked down the steps or be sent to a line regiment never to be promoted higher than captain because i know so few from the upper echelons of society.

..I'm glad things have improved (in most respects) since then.

Civ

The Sudan, 1880-1890
Admit it, you just have a thing for Maxim guns, don't you?

Hey, you've got to admit that they were pretty-cool!

...Certainly showed Johnny Foreigner where to go.

Besides, if you're going to fight in some godforsaken desert you want your kit to outstrip that of the enemy by a long way if you can.

All the fun has gone out of fighting since you could no longer jab a bayonet at the baddies.

T'aint fair...

Hong Kong in the early 90s, just prior to the main draw down. The army would pay for you to take a holiday in the far east, bags of LOA and every thing was cheap apart from the beer, however every bar had an happy hour. Nothing to do apart from score with the ex-pats and the back packers working in the bars, which had the knock on affect of getting cheap or free beer ( the Wateringhole, mody road ).

Defending the empire from johnny foreigner..! :p

Hong Kong 1997 :twisted: :D :D :D :twisted:

Not only tourist and back packers, but lots of good looking local women trying for that passport out of there :twisted:

1980s Germany - yep, Herfy yellow hand-bags and ugly German Girls with hairy armpits, what wonderful days.... I wonder what those girls are doing now :roll:

bullshit said:
1980s Germany - yep, Herfy yellow hand-bags and ugly German Girls with hairy armpits, what wonderful days.... I wonder what those girls are doing now :roll:
So do I.

(Fancy starting a thread in honour of the Great German Garrison Slapper's Armpit?)

Interesting that Speedy talks about 'excellent accommodation' in Germany in the 1980s. I wasn't there at that time - how was it so much better than now (before PUMA etc)??

I left in 2000 and spent my last 5 years (apart from the time I was on tour) in Ward Barracks, Bulford. The accomodation was built in the 30's and had been upgraded in the 60's, but apart from that was a cockroach infested hell hole with up to 6 people sometimes pushed into a four man room. The furniture and fittings were the old stand-alone lockers to which we were only allowed one each (officially) and the windows were the origional wooden framed 1930's fitted, which sometimes didn't open because they had been painted shut years ago. The single man rooms were so small that the Cpl's living in them had to keep their kit in a store room down the corridor.We were billed at top whack and to live in a Cori-Mec on tour was a luxury. Every so often a hot water pipe would burst and a corridor would be filled with steam. Because they don't make these types of pipe any more, the plumber would patch up the hole which would cause the next weak point to burst further along the pipe. He would be their at least once a week. The state of some soldiers accomodation in the UK is disgusting and these are the ones that the press never get to see.
The accomodation in BAOR (at the end) was outstanding pretty much everywhere. Large rooms, Fitted lockers, kitchens, carpet in the corridors!!! Those wonderful windows where you could keep your milk and butter inbetween the layers. All in all, after returning to the UK I got the impression that there was zero investment in inproving the standard of single soldiers living conditions and it all went to refurbishing the pads houses every 5 years.

alfiefizz said:
Hong Kong in the early 90s, just prior to the main draw down. The army would pay for you to take a holiday in the far east, bags of LOA and every thing was cheap apart from the beer, however every bar had an happy hour. Nothing to do apart from score with the ex-pats and the back packers working in the bars, which had the knock on affect of getting cheap or free beer ( the Wateringhole, mody road ).
oh yes, £15 a day LOA which was very nice. Cheap beer, easy chicks, great football and Jack the taylor.

Berlin, '80s. Mehrwertsteuer returned on purchases (and restaurant bills?), Schultheiss/Kindl, free travel on the U-Bahn when in mess kit, FRIS, StuttiPlatz and Mon Cherie, complete with doltish P&SS undercover spy in the corner watching for crabs catching crabs.