Best TA Infantry Courses

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by StabOfFire, Nov 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've had a quick search and can't see any other thread of this nature, but apologies if it has been done before.

Post CIC, what courses would you recommend to private soldiers in Infantry Bn's?

2. I find that asking about the AACC, sharpshooter/ sniper and FAC course always gets lots of helpful reponses :wink:

3. yeah and SF selection...

Anyway - proper answer... depends what platoon you go into really. A lot of my friends went down the Assault Pioneer route which looked good fun, other guys did SF Plt (GPMG, not the other type of SF) which also looked like a good crack!

4. Surely courses are limited to your unit's role. If you're in a mortar plt then a mortar course, guns/sf plt then heavy guns cadre, etc. Then there's always PJNCO cadre or PTI course?

May be wrong but I don't think it's a case of take what course you want. In the immortal words of MSR "Speak to your PSI"

TBM

5. I'm sure I can seek out what courses are relevant from my PSI. But I just wanted to know what people have enjoyed first hand and would recommend.

6. Sensible (ish) answer is to look on your units website on Army-Net and see what roles your unit is looking to fulfil around the Battalion. In mine we have everything from Assault Pioneer (which is one of the reasons I asked about this before on here :roll: ) to GPMG SF and influence Ops. That being said, if you have done CiC you will know that 'they' are rather keen on recruits at the moment from the after-course lecture they give. If you really want a challenge, go for that.

Good luck :)

7. PM on the way.

8. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Potential Junior NCO Cadre

9. Sharpshooter.....

10. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

DITs course. A must have in order to go on and do other instructor courses.

11. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Your first port of call is the Defence Instructional Techniques course. This will allow you conduct a lesson properly and underpins many of the other courses which you may do later. It is only 2 weekends, and hardly rivetting, but essential.

After that, PJNCO once you are deemed ready/suitable by your chain of command, and then courses specific to your role. You should then reinforce the skills by attending a few Bn camps.

The problem with "course hunting" ie doing a course not related to your role is that you end up with delusions of adequacy. A 2 week sharpshooter course does not make you a sniper, and what skills you may have learnt on it will fade away fast if you do not practice them often.

12. The words you are looking for are "appropriate responses".

13. :oops: :D

14. Its gonna be role plt,battalion specific courses if you ve only just passed through Catterick ie as mortars if in mortar plt you wont get to go on DIT and PJNCO stuff yet you need to be in a bit longer then it will start going to other courses dont forget your battalion has to justify you going on a course ie role,lack of such trained pax etc etc.

15. Javelin's a good course. More interesting than mortars or SF surely.