Best socks?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Bravo_Bravo, Apr 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With all the accumulated knowledge here - views on best socks for tabbing etc?

I've acquired a pair of Smartwool socks which seem to be very good, and have recently gone back to using 1000 Mile Socks but have not tabbed much with them yet.
  2. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

Smartwool expedition socks. Accept no substitutes.
  3. Bridgedale.
  4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Smartwool are good. After a couple of expeds when they get so hard you risk breaking your ankle getting in them - you can cut them in half (with an angle grinder) and use them as body armour...
  5. Smartwool as said, Bridgedale, X-socks, Alpkit now do socks and get some good reviews. It a personal thing though, one mans meat etc.
  6. Put a SMARTWOOL on one foot and a 1000 MILE on the other, do a very long TAB/YOMP and see which foot looks and feels the best.

Wear the 'best' sock there after.

I did this exercise some years ago when the army were still issueing the green plastic socks and the newer green woolly type sock. (both were rubbish so I used my white Falklands issued socks, no problems afterwards).
  7. Brigdale trekkers do me
  8. Desert issue socks.
  9. Bridgedale summit never had a blister when combined with sorbothanes.
  10. Smartwool every time. I'm replacing all my socks with them as they die and my feet are better for it.
  11. Sounds like a Smartwool love-in; what are they like in the heat?

Thanks for the heads-up ref desert socks, Spaz, I have heard good things about them and I gather they can be bought for small cost (( or issued pre-deployment, of course. )
  12. Smart wool arent that great in the heat, Thorlo are better for hot climates.
    Smartwool Expedition or Summit are great winter socks, I have used them when winter mountaineering in Scotland (no funnies please about Scottish winters as those who know appreciate they are the worst you can get perhaps anywhere in the world).

So for hotter climates the last thing you want is a thick padded winter sock, you will just end up with foot problems.

Bridgedale trekker or Thorlo hiking for me>

13. Issue Dessie socks...

or Bridgedale Light Hiker - I wear them all the time now after buying a couple of pairs before a Telic tour. Slightly softer that issues, but just as good for day to day and summer hiking use.

Seem to last around 4-5 years use.. (worn once a week)
  14. A CLEAN PAIR..
  15. I'm with you there. Great bit of kit. I have been wearing mine for quite a while and they are still pretty much as good as new. Great for monging about the house too!