Best Socks

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by cannon fodder, Mar 11, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What are the best socks available. I wana get some gucci socks to use with my lovely comfy issued boots :roll:

Ive been advised to use Sorbothane insoles as well.
  2. 1000mile hiking socks are good and very nice to wear. I use them with my Lowas as I find issue socks too thick. Apparently the "Artic warfare" issue socks are like walking around on fluffy carpet all day, especially with good boots.
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

"When I" was in recce we were issued them and they supplemented the ones we never gave back after the Falklands. They were as quoted elsewhere unnoficial currency and when they wanted to withdraw ours as the new socks were reputedly as good, do you remember the older ones where your feet wore out before the sock? Our recce remf issued all of them out and got them written off, good egg with a bad knee!
  4. I have a large collection of w*nking socks
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I still have both those socks, the artic and the goretex.
    Does that make me surplus?
  6. Medium or Heavy Weight hiking socks by Thorlo worked very well for me.

I also used standard weight wool socks and wore thin nylon socks inside to help prevent blisters and reduce friction. Of course, medicated foot powder was always added in...
  7. Zinic oxide aswell mate, got me through 2 brecon cse's
  8. We should mention that one does NOT lather on the zinc oxide... :)
  9. I must agree!

I could see these going well with the green long johns, green 'ECW' vest... and a respirator (highly brush-polished of course!)

The stuff of real pests!
  10. 1000 mile hiking socks are good,
    sorbothane insoles also good for some people - i actually use a pair out of
    old trainers as sorbathane insoles dont fully cover arch in boot -take the insoles out of your hi-tec silver shadows then they will fit perfect..
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I still have my old gore tex seals as issued. They did the job back then which was close on 20 years ago!
  12. I used to use 'Bridgedale AT Boot' socks. But they cost around a tenner and ended up (like most civvy socks) going 'matted' too quickly. I then went on to using issue socks with coolmax liners.

Nowadays, I just use the issue socks on their own. They are more robust than civy socks and are reasonably comfortable.

Not tried arctic socks yet. May give them a go. Good tip!
  13. I have used bridgedale socks for along time now - you cant fault them. I also have a pair of seal skins for wearing after immersions - 100% waterproof. A doctor once told me the issue sock is good when new but has no benefit after a few washes - plus the black ones are not as good as the old green ones.