Best snow tyres (UK conditions) - Freelander 2?

Any Land Rover/ off-roader aficionados care to recommend some "best buy" snow tyres (or mud & snow tyres)?

Yes, I have looked out the window and noticed that there is, in fact, no snow around at the moment. I do understand that, if I buy a full set of snow tyres, global warming will finally kick in, and the past run of snowy winters will abruptly cease. Just thought I'd get these sorted now, instead of waiting to join the queue next time UK slithers to a halt next snowfall...

Yes #2, I have used the Arrse "search" function and re-read about five hundred witty threads about snow in UK. Didn't find the actual info I was looking for.

- car is a Freelander 2, with 18" wheels (plan to use a duplicate set of same alloys as fitted, just in case Mrs 4(T) succeeds in kerbing the original set...);

- need tyres for typical UK conditions (-10oC, unswept roads, slow road speeds, etc).

Thx...

Any Land Rover/ off-roader aficionados care to recommend some "best buy" snow tyres (or mud & snow tyres)?

Yes, I have looked out the window and noticed that there is, in fact, no snow around at the moment. I do understand that, if I buy a full set of snow tyres, global warming will finally kick in, and the past run of snowy winters will abruptly cease. Just thought I'd get these sorted now, instead of waiting to join the queue next time UK slithers to a halt next snowfall...

Yes #2, I have used the Arrse "search" function and re-read about five hundred witty threads about snow in UK. Didn't find the actual info I was looking for.

- car is a Freelander 2, with 18" wheels (plan to use a duplicate set of same alloys as fitted, just in case Mrs 4(T) succeeds in kerbing the original set...);

- need tyres for typical UK conditions (-10oC, unswept roads, slow road speeds, etc).

Thx...
Why don't you go for a set of steelies instead - much cheaper and easier to maintain in winter? And downsize to 16/ 17" while you're at it? The 1 " difference in size makes a huge cost difference - you can always fit plastic wheel caps if you're that concerned with looks - I personally think they look the biz, especially on an SUV/ softroader.

//anyways, just my $0.02 from all the years of driving in MI winters

I've used General Tire (American spelling) Snow boots before, good grip and mileage. Bit noisy though.

Here's the ones I had, oh and you can stud them if it gets really hardcore.

General Altimax Arctic.

Should last about a week in this heatwave! :)

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

16" steelies with town and country tyres should cope with most on road conditions. If you're thinking of off road in adverse conditions think again.

Thx...
The original tyres that came with my Freelander 2 (Goodyear Wranglers) are mud and snow tyres and do a feckin' good job!

S

syledis

You need a new kinetic energy tow rope, safari roof rack and a hi lift jack, funnily enough im selling all of the aforementioned!

I was thinking speed cameras.
If anything you will be even more safe from being flashed as downsizing makes your speedo read higher than the actual - but again, if do it correctly and don't drop the size too much (don't recommend more than a 2 inch wheel size drop as you don't want to run the engine at higher RPMs either) you should barely notice anything different, especially to the average driver.

Thx...
Serves you right for buying a crap car.

I'll admit that I nearly bought a Freelander in Boxhead Land about 14 years ago. It was too plasticky and it smelt funny. We then test drove an MGF and I had huge visions of me and my GSD smashing it down the Autobahn with our ears flapping in the wind, listening to Atomic Kitten and grooving.

Mr Slug veto'd that idea and made me buy a Mazda 323. Not had too many problems with her, exhaust, battery, etc. She gets me up that mad crazy hill into Richmond, even when it's snowing - not that we get much snow in N Yorks. She's got me to Germany nearly every other weekend when I lived in That London, and when she feels like, she goes like shit off a shovel.

The great thing is, I've got a brilliant garage up the road. When I say road, I mean 2 BFO hills. Anyone who knows where the Gallowfields Trading Estate is (Altberg Shop) will confirm. If the car refuses to soldier though, they will always come round to the house and see what's happening with it, charge the battery (for being naughty) or tow it back to theirs.

Anyhoo, the only other car I've ever owned was a Maestro, and I was scared of driving Mr Dale's Mercedes.

I tore the arrse out of his Golf on the way back from Stockton one day though. He gave the VW Camper away for a quid to some scrap yard. I'm glad he's propping up my patio.

Something like these will be more than adequate (and easy on the wallet) for what you need.

They look like.....tyres....? Even with a 27" monitor, I can't read the sidewalls on those!

AB, thanks for the Goggle tip; it hadn't occurred to me to scan those 86,000 pages.... Thought some of our Arrse 4WD enthusiasts might have some recommendations, although it might take ten pages to get a coherent response.

If possible, I wanted to stick with the 18" duplicate alloys. Actually nothing to do with looks; might overland to Russia and Kazakhstan later on, so two or three spares might be part of the set-up.

If possible, I wanted to stick with the 18" duplicate alloys. Actually nothing to do with looks; might overland to Russia and Kazakhstan later on, so two or three spares might be part of the set-up.
Based on what you say, you're far better off going for steelies. Much tougher, easier to repair (with a hammer if need be, try doing that with alloys) in places with not the best of road surfaces. Also it's easier to find 16incher steel wheels from other vehicles than the fancy 18 inch alloys in the middle of nowhere.

Good luck with you trip.