Best sites for basic

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by w.e.s.t, Apr 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I start basic soon and want to be as prepared as possible so I’m trying to get in a routine with lots of training, which is going ok.

When I’m not training however I like to come online and try to learn a little about what to expect so that I'm somewhat ready for what is in store. Anyway what I wanted to ask was if any of you could recommend and share some good sites to read up and learn from? I'm thinking along the lines of Adventure Training, Field craft, NBC drills, Map Reading, Patrols, Skill at Arms and other subjects covered in basic.

Any sites with good vids, sound or literature covering some of the topics in phase 1 would be appreciated very much.

Thanx

2. Cow

Cow LE

Stick to just doing some phys. If you learn stuff which is wrong or has been updated then it's harder to re-learn the stuff which is incorrect. Basic is designed to take someone with no clue into someone who has a bit of a clue.

3. I understand that but i don't want to be totally clueless if you know what i mean. I have managed to get hold of a copy of "A Soldier's Pocket Book" but thats like 10 years old so your point definately stands there!
    Still interested in getting a general idea of everything if anyone knows any good sites...

4. go there blind on the main subjects just do your fizz. instructors hate a no it all particulary if he know nothing or is out of date. Some of the stuff you get in the ACF etc is done in a nice way - basic gives you the truth and scarey stuff.

5. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Try watching repeats of 'Ultimate Force' or 'Dad's Army' they should give you a flavour.

Seriously, as previously stated, best to come in as an open book, a blank page. Otherwise you will have to unlearn everything to be retaught it the ATR way. Just expect that in your first six weeks, three things will become very important to you, and you won't have enough time for all.

Food, Sleep, Defecation.

6. I applaud your attitude - but get fit and just do a sponge impersonation once you start.

Its a long time since I was in, but my son finished his basic last year, and it is still about attitude.

Good luck

7. enthusiastic mate good effort but eventually in a month or so i will be at basic and i am not in a routine you learn al you need there mate, im doing alot of fizz and brushing up on my ironing and folding A4 which is still bloody awfull

8. They don't like it up em.

9. Thanx for the advice every1, I am concentrating mostly on phis and don't wanna be a know it all, just not sure i can learn as fast as i might be expected to and don't wanna be the dumbass of the group if you get my drift.

I will take the advice of watching a few episodes of some army related stuff but think i'll avoid dads army :roll: never really "done it" for me that show.

Seriously apprecieate the advice everyone and will take it on board.

Where you going for your basic callum and when? I'm at Pirbright 5th of may...

10. phase 1 isnt that difficult in terms of learning. its mostly hands on.
    but get the soldiers handbook (amazon etc) its got it all, even if its wrong in some places, its definately worth it.

but concentrate on phys, thats the most important bit. as you'll learn, fitness is everything in the army.

11. Leave well alone.

Listen to the advice and don't bother learning anything.

You will be taught what you need to know.

(Well done for pre-empting though).

12. Well you could try and get to grips with Map and Compass. It's something that a lot of people seem to find difficult, and you can't really learn it WRONG as such.

13. this site has all you will ever need arniesairsoft.co.uk/ hell you could join them after a few hours browsing the forums