Best scoff ever

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Can't really beat a decent steak.

I've eaten in fine restaurants all over the world and enjoyed them all, but when it really comes down to it and I'm trying to dissect the lobster on my plate or work out what the tasty little blobs of sauce are, it always crosses my mind that it's not really as good as a proper cut of good quality beef.

Steak.

Anything being served at RAF Gutersloh cookhouse in 1974.

The RAF in Germany used to run a yearly competition so I was told where they judged which base cookhouse could provide the best food etc.

I was on a baggage party there for three days loading Hercules aircraft with our gear for a move back to the UK. The food was out of this world. Perfectly cooked and a choice of just about everything. I ate a full English every morning (as many sausages as I wanted) and steak every evening for three days.

I fucking cried when I had to go back to army cuisine.

Last edited:
Can't really beat a decent steak.

I've eaten in fine restaurants all over the world and enjoyed them all, but when it really comes down to it and I'm trying to dissect the lobster on my plate or work out what the tasty little blobs of sauce are, it always crosses my mind that it's not really as good as a proper cut of good quality beef.

Steak.
In Shenzhen south China, just over the Hong Kong border I had lobster cooked with cheese, absolutely feckin fantastic. Lobster on it's own is quite bland meat but the cheese really lifts it.

The Twice cooked Belly of Pork that I had at the Grand Jersey hotel in errrr Jersey.

The waiter recommended the wine to go with it, the meal was just completely perfect so good I could have gone for 2nd's and possibly 3rds. I was gutted when I had finished the meal and almost scraped the surface from the plate.

Anything being served at RAF Gutersloh cookhouse in 1974.

The RAF in Germany used to run a yearly competition so I was told on which base cookhouse could provide the best food etc.

I was on a baggage party there for three days loading Hercules aircraft with our gear for a move back to the UK. The food was out of this world. Perfectly cooked and a choice of just about everything. I ate a full English every morning (as many sausages as I wanted) and steak every evening for three days.

I ******* cried when I had to go back to army cuisine.
After I left the regs I joined the TA airfield damage repair at RAF Marham and you are correct the food was 100% better than the army food.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
In Shenzhen south China, just over the Hong Kong border I had lobster cooked with cheese, absolutely feckin fantastic. Lobster on it's own is quite bland meat but the cheese really lifts it.
That's lobster Thermidor.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
This probably encroaches on the restaurants to die for thread but for me it's a simply cooked steak au Roquefort with chips and salad.
It doesn't get better than that.

That's lobster Thermidor.
Not sure as it is named in Chinese and I do not read Chinese, wife was too drunk to translate lol. But it was a fishing village so all the seafood ingredients were straight off the boat. We spent the afternoon on the beach whilst she sobered up hehe.

Agreed that a steak is the food of gods, but for me a close second is a pizza that comes from a genuine pizzeria, and not from some shitty franchise like Pizza Hut. To me there's nothing better than a pie where the owners are generous with their toppings, the slices are about 2" thick, and the cardboard box is nearly collapsing from the weight and grease.

I ate beef wellington with roast tatties once at Knook camp that was so good I would have been content to pay for it at a restaurant. Fuck knows how the cook managed to acquire such a fine slab of meat.

+1 for a fine slab of steak with a quality sauce though; Mendozas in Walsrode was fairly decent as was the Masons Arms in Warminster.

The round robin of meats they do at your typical decent Brasilian restaurant is lush as well.

Agreed that a steak is the food of gods, but for me a close second is a pizza that comes from a genuine pizzeria, and not from some shitty franchise like Pizza Hut. To me there's nothing better than a pie where the owners are generous with their toppings, the slices are about 2" thick, and the cardboard box is nearly collapsing from the weight and grease.
Real Pizza ain't called a pie or is it 2" thick.