Best running foot strike?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Billboard, Feb 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Recently ive been getting soleus pain (muscle on the side of calfs) and just wondering which is best for reduced risk of injury.Thanks

2. Learn not to run like a cunt for starters, primary cause. Soleus isn't on the sides either, it's deep - resides under what is commonly thought of as the "calf muscle", the gastrocnemius.

3. One foot before the other seems to work well for me.

4. Irony being, that's what causes issues 8O
    That's called walking, running is a changing of support under oneself.

Calf problems tend to stem from either forcing yourself up onto tip toes, or actively pushing off with the foot.
    By the fact you're asking for the best foot strike, I'm gathering you saw that people should run on the balls of their feet and tried to actively force it - and you found out why you shouldn't. Get technique right and it happens naturally.

5. I've never put much thought into it.

I've always put one in front the other to walk. so i assumed if i want to go faster i just speed up the process.

6. Depends if you over or under pronate, Im a neutral gaitand, touch wood, have never had an......OW !!!! Fcuk me what was that

B3tard

7. It would be useful to know, what other exercise routines you are engaged in besides running.

8. Would Sorbothane insoles help?

9. Also a ton of bullshit only applicable if you run like a twat on your heel etc, unless of course you're in the insole/shoe industry - then keep the dosh rolling.

10. Also don`t slam your left foot in every so many paces as we did for a bit in basic whilst running in a squad.