Best role for adventurous travel?

Wozzywick

Swinger
Hi everyone,

I am considering joining the armed forces as I like the idea of adventurous travel- jungle, mountains, etc.

Aside from the marines, which roles offer the most opportunities for this?

From my research, guards or intelligence seem to be the most interesting, but I’m open to considering any officer role.

Toppet

Old-Salt
Hi everyone,

I am considering joining the armed forces as I like the idea of adventurous travel- jungle, mountains, etc.

Aside from the marines, which roles offer the most opportunities for this?

From my research, guards or intelligence seem to be the most interesting, but I’m open to considering any officer role.
It very much depends on not just your Regiment / Corps, but your rank, role in your unit, current posting, capability and most importantly, luck. Travel cannot be guaranteed.

Sone individuals who joined the same Corps as me, at the same time, got a vast amount of travel, some almost none.

You may well be disappointed if you just join to bolster your Instagram photo library; you need to join to do a job you want.

Wozzywick

Swinger
It very much depends on not just your Regiment / Corps, but your rank, role in your unit, current posting, capability and most importantly, luck. Travel cannot be guaranteed.

Sone individuals who joined the same Corps as me, at the same time, got a vast amount of travel, some almost none.

You may well be disappointed if you just join to bolster your Instagram photo library; you need to join to do a job you want.
Thank you for giving such a detailed reply. Travel is not the only factor, joining the armed forces is an enormous commitment and I take it very seriously.

It is, however, part of my motivation. Almost all “explorers” and expedition leaders are ex-forces. This is what I aspire to do and so I believed an armed forces role would give me a good grounding for this. It would also expose me to other people with similar skills and ambition.

As you say, the job you do is more important. Of course I would only apply for a role I genuinely wanted to do, but knowing if there are any roles that do more of the expedition type activities is still useful.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Join the RAF Physical Training branch as an OR ie not as an Officer; then knock yourself out collecting AT quals.

Toppet

Old-Salt
As you say, the job you do is more important. Of course I would only apply for a role I genuinely wanted to do, but knowing if there are any roles that do more of the expedition type activities is still useful.
There are (or at least were when I served; I left 4 years ago) plenty of opportunities for travel for anyone. The trick is:

1) Finding out about the expeditions
2) Convincing your boss to let you go on them.

If you're that keen, you will likely be able to plan and run (though not necessarily lead until you have the right qualifications) expeditions yourself. It can be a lot of work, but rewarding.

Read soldier magazine for a flavour of what can be done.

Toppet

Old-Salt
Joining as a non-officer if you meet the requirements for an officer seems a waste to me
Not always. Just because someone is qualified on paper to be an officer does not mean that they are suited to be one (and vice versa). It's two similar, but different careers.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Joining as a non-officer if you meet the requirements for an officer seems a waste to me
Well, join as an Officer and get to do the staff work for the ORs with the qualifications running the AT.

22 SAS have Boat, Mountain, Air & Mobility Troop.
Coupled with jungle training & HALO jumping and it fills all you're criteria?

Wozzywick

Swinger
22 SAS have Boat, Mountain, Air & Mobility Troop.
Coupled with jungle training & HALO jumping and it fills all you're criteria?
Yeah the SAS fits my description perfectly. From what I can see though, direct entry to the SAS is only possible as a reserve

There are (or at least were when I served; I left 4 years ago) plenty of opportunities for travel for anyone. The trick is:

1) Finding out about the expeditions
2) Convincing your boss to let you go on them.

If you're that keen, you will likely be able to plan and run (though not necessarily lead until you have the right qualifications) expeditions yourself. It can be a lot of work, but rewarding.

Read soldier magazine for a flavour of what can be done.
In my case, I wish the boss hadn't found out about a cheeky FI trip I managed to blag. Guess who went?

Truxx

LE
Yeah the SAS fits my description perfectly. From what I can see though, direct entry to the SAS is only possible as a reserve
Not strictly true. I knew a chap (now sadly passed away) who successfully did selection as a civvie and subsequently joined.

Not strictly true. I knew a chap (now sadly passed away) who successfully did selection as a civvie and subsequently joined.
Peter Duncan walt

I was under the strange illusion that you had to do at least 3 years colour service, minimum, before even being considered for selection, unless the rules have changed in the last few years!

Truxx

LE
I was under the strange illusion that you had to do at least 3 years colour service, minimum, before even being considered for selection, unless the rules have changed in the last few years!
That's the norm.

Quite a few exceptions though over the years.

Latest Threads