Best Rock Instrumental - companion thread to "What Music RU Listening To...?"

NSP

LE
Caught in that limbo between end-of-movie and lifting my soporific arse off the sofa and going to bed and so thumbing through some tunes on YouTube on the telly and was inspired to think "What is the best rock instrumental you've heard?" Mainly because YT push a live recording of Knopfler doing his thing. I've dutifully Jarroded but nothing came back that fitted so here we go...

What's the best instrumental break in a rock track? Note: not riff, not solo, not percussion break: the instrumental in toto.

For me, thus:-

Knopfler's mob and "Telegraph Road...." (from 7:15)

Then there's the extended post-bongo bimble that Toto do these days when playing "Africa..." (From circa 7:00 but worth watching the whole thing as there are some tidy lasses in the audience)

Not to mention Eric Calderone's instrumental reimagining of "Mad World..."

Anyway, over to the ArRSerati...

Carbon 6

War Hero

Hard to beat Gary Moore’s version of the Freddie King instrumental The Stumble.

Def Leppard Switch 625. The live version with Steve Clark is far better than later versions, they seem a lot less energetic and less threatening. Album version in link.

Pretty much any Pink Floyd but this from about 4.25

I've always had a soft spot for the end solo on this Carpenters song - listen from 2.49...

...but this one nails it for me...

...who ever plays it - just wish I could :)

That rendition of Comfortably Numb. Shut the thread.

Watching it I was struck by a few things. Firstly, it must be interesting (and probably quite demanding) for classical musicians to play in such a venue with the music style, volume and flashing lights etc. I think it works brilliantly and Floyd were masters of it. The Trial from the same album is another great example.

Secondly, looking at the audience, many of them weren’t even born when The Wall was released (1979). Great to see such longevity in music. I think it’d make a great stage show / rock opera (it was originally written as a rock opera) a la Rocky Horror. If it gets women in theatres in stockings and basques, so much the better.

That rendition of Comfortably Numb. Shut the thread.

Watching it I was struck by a few things. Firstly, it must be interesting (and probably quite demanding) for classical musicians to play in such a venue with the music style, volume and flashing lights etc. I think it works brilliantly and Floyd were masters of it. The Trial from the same album is another great example.

Secondly, looking at the audience, many of them weren’t even born when The Wall was released (1979). Great to see such longevity in music. I think it’d make a great stage show / rock opera (it was originally written as a rock opera) a la Rocky Horror. If it gets women in theatres in stockings and basques, so much the better.

Couldn’t agree more. The Wall was and still is a great stage show. It’s not been performed enough; Maybe Waters will tour it again; who knows? I do, however, struggle to see how any theatre show could possibly mimic the full on experience of The Wall live.

To me, it’s sad that the film isn’t more available, but it really needs to be seen in a cinema. I saw the film in Leicester Square in 82; big screen, surround sound. I remember walking out completely disoriented.

Pedant hat on. Gilmour’s piece was a guitar solo, not an instrumental. Pedant hat off. Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie closed the thread a while ago; the ancient art of guitar weaving.

Can we ban everyone who mentions the shítcunts Pink fücking Floyd?

Dull twáts.

DarkBrig

War Hero
Canon rock played in multiple ways- superbly

Pedant hat on. Gilmour’s piece was a guitar solo, not an instrumental. Pedant hat off. Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie closed the thread a while ago; the ancient art of guitar weaving.

My fault for not reading the thread title...

In that case I'll nominate this chap - probably my favourite guitarist after Dave Gilmour. I could nominate a bunch of stuff but these are a couple of my favourites...

...get a brew on , sit down and enjoy 14 minutes of aural sex! :cool:

NSP

LE
Private Investigations (live for the "On The Night" tour) from 5:30 basically.

For a definitive version, one can't beat the "On The Night" recording of Brothers in Arms from 5:20 in, though. Particularly poignant given the underlying theme of these august halls, I feel. Quite moving in a given context...

If God exists then he resides in Knopflers hands. Have you seen the way that man plays his guitar? No plectrum, nada. Plays with a method more likely seen in bassists. Apparently, when he started to perfect his technique, using a known, named plucking technique, and the skin on his fingertips was still soft a heavy rehearsal session would leave them bleeding and in shreds. but his technique has developed to the point that it is now acknowledged as being unique and there are a multitude of videos on Youtube where people attempt to "teach" it. And fail. Apparently, even today if he overdoes the steel-stringed steel guitar, with fingertips like leather and years of practice, it's not unknown for a roadie to find claret on the strings and soundbox during the pack-up.

A rock god and fucking nails with it!

NSP

LE
The Skynyrds bust it with the extended playout to this version of Sweet Home Alabama, performed in 2018:-

Did think all the young hangers-on were the bands sons being groomed to take over (there were rumours this was a farewell tour for van Zant, Medlocke, Matejka, et al) but apparently they are "3 Doors Down," mugging in having been the warm-up act.

The tall blonde backing singer with the straight blonde hair is actually the wife of the guitarist with the wide-brim hat, being Mr. Gary and Mrs. Dale Rossington respectively. She's just shy of seventy when this was recorded, as is the other backing singer, Carol Chase. Both definitely due an appearance on the MiLF thread (Rossington x2, Chase x1). Or possibly even the opening stars in a GiLF thread...

I’ve asked this before: having grown up with rock music in the 60s, 70s and early 80s, where is the music for us now? There seems to be nothing. The music - and the musicians - are dying, and everything is now shite. Where are the aspiring Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, et al?

Latest Threads