Best Regiment for IS eng?

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by faction, Oct 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there.

Im training to be a IS eng at blandford and im having trouble deciding which regiment to go into when i passout.
    In your opinion, which is the best regiment for my trade?

ive purposly left this question quite open because im interested in a good general feedback.

2. In my day the Army told you where you were going. Jeez how times change...
  4. The dream sheet - happy days. I dreamt of Cyprus, Canada, Perhaps a stint in Blighty to quaff ale with the locals. Reality sent me to 3 Div and then War. I facking loved every minute of it!
  5. A2_Matelot

A2_Matelot LE Book Reviewer

In order, as a start I'd ask for 2SR, 30SR, PJHQ (either JFHQ or DSG), then 7SR or 16SR.

Lots more but for IS Eng, I'd look at these.
  6. onhaving served in three of the four i would say none!!!
  7. Regardless of where you go, you'll be wearing desert combats not long after. I suggest that you work out what area you want to serve in; Germany, England (SW, SE, Mid, NE) and let the "system" do the rest. Concentrate on learning your trade, passing your exams and then look forward to ops. Good luck.
  8. 18, either as SFC or not you will be working lots of kit, lots of different kit and lots of nice kit.

You will also visit all the other places others visit. Pass the course and get some extra dosh.
  9. A2_Matelot

A2_Matelot LE Book Reviewer

PD I know you're a demi-god but how have you managed to twist space & time? Its clearly 1922 on Sun the 7th by my mickey mouse (chronograph) watch, but you've managed to post at 0408 on the 8th? :)

Wasted on IS!
  10. There wouldn't be if MCM actually looked at JPA. They don't rate it so they are still relying on the triple P up there.
  11. Although it doesn't boast the latest kit, I would recommend the IS Troop at 16 Sig Regt. No better place for cutting your teeth and learning harsh lessons about deployed IS. After all, that is what you will be doing mainly as most of the static sites, with all the up-to-date technology and software are now run by Civvies.
  12. A glitch in the matrix my dear chap. It was definitely the evening!

I agree with Darth that 16 would be a good place, as Germany won't be an option for ever. It won't be too long before it's a choice of which UK-based super-garrison you go to.
  13. As PD says, you'll be on tour soon enough (unless you get stuck playing silly buggers for eternity for a Bde HQ). Put a geographic dream sheet in. If you're single and haven't travelled much before, go to Germany, you won't regret it.
  14. If you want to work on some fairly new kit, 243 Sig Sqn could be a decent option, I learnt my trade there
  15. My Bold, Last time I looked at our IS Eng they were on tour quite a bit!! As were the rest of the Bde