Best quotes from despatches

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Tax_Tw-t, Feb 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Following on from another thread in here Greatest British Army Victories and Defeats, what do you think have been the best quotes in official despatches/communications?

Battle of Beda Fomm:
    Anonymous Coldstream Guards officer: "We have [taken prisoner] about 5 acres of officers and 200 acres of other ranks."

Operation Paraquet (South Georgia):
    Major Guy Sheridan: "Be pleased to inform Her Majesty that the White Ensign flies alongside the Union Jack in South Georgia. God save the Queen."

2. The story goes that in 1843, after annexing the Indian province of Sind, General Sir Charles Napier sent home a one word telegram, "Peccavi" latin for "I have sinned." Possibly apocryphal, it's still a great story.

3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Not apocryphal, the Gettalarf still use it in crosswords.

4. Near the end of the desert war.

Sound of distant gunfire.

"Who's fighting?"

"The two thirds "

"Who?"

"The Third Tanks and the Third Reich!"

Also

Guards officer at a party early WW2

Young Lady: You were at Dunkirk weren't you?

Guardsman: Yes, I was

YL: What was it like?

Guardsman: My dear, the noise and the people.

5. Admiral Sir Andrew Cunningham to the Admiralty:

"Be pleased to inform their Lordships that the Italian battle fleet now lies at anchor under the guns of the fortress of Malta."

Hell, yes.....

6. "Don't look round, Sir. I think we're being followed."

Remark made to Lt Gen Sir Brian Horrocks by an armoured vehicle commander during the BEF withdrawal, May 1940.

7. "He declared an Empire where there was none, and created a desert, and called it Peace" Tacitus on his father-in-laws conquest of Britain

8. The last radio transmission sent from Arnhem bridge before they were over run........ "Out of ammunition. God Save the King

9. “It is my duty to report that the Tunis campaign is over. All enemy resistance has ceased. We are masters of the North African shores.”
    Earl Alexander of Tunis

10. "Cancel alert only Three enemy aircraft sighted" Radar observer in Hiroshima 08.00 06/08/1945 (possibly)

11. Codeword for the successful breaching of the Mohne Dam:

'Ni........'

'Nig.........'

'N.........'

Nope - the keyboard won't let me do it.

12. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Korea

Royal Ulster Rifles officer, asked what the battle of "Happy Valley" had been like (rearguard north of Seoul; RUR left in lurch when Americans on flanks pulled back; Chinese attacked from the flank while RUR battlegroup was pulling back down a valley; 1 RUR lost 157 men dead or killed or captured in one night. CO KIA; OC of armoured support squadron KIA; entire armoured squadron KOed.):
    "It was very noisy, and there were a lot of unpleasent peasents."

Lt Col Douglas Drysdale, CO of 41 Commando, RM, was tasked to fight a battalion-sized task force north to reinforce USMC 1st Div CP just south of Chosin Reservoir. Axis was a 12-mile road, along which three Chinese regiments were lying in wait.
    Gen. OP Smith, CO, 1st USMC: "Break through - at all costs."
    Drysdale: "Right. We'll give them a show."

Last message received from 1 Glosters on Hill 235 ("Gloster Hill") around 10:00, April 25, 1951:
    "I am shutting down the wireless. We are trying to break out!"

13. Though this should be on the Navy board I couldn't help myself......from the Altmark Incident...........

" Under locked hatches in the holds when these were broken open, groups of men were found, Turner shouted out " Any British down there?" The response a tremendous roar of:

" Yes! We are all British!"

From Turner now came his famous cry:

"COME ON UP THEN, THE NAVY"S HERE!"

http://ahoy.tk-jk.net/macslog/Rescueof300BritishPOWsFro.html

14. Finally Lt. Cdr. Kerans decided to make a break for open waters. On July 31st under cover of darkness, Amethyst slipped her cable and proceeded down stream to begin a 104-mile dash for freedom running the gauntlet of Communist guns on both banks of the river. 0055 hours Amethyst came under heavy fire off Kiang Yin but putting down thick black smoke she confused the Communist gunners on the shore. At 0500 hours she approached the forts at Woosung and Par Shan with their searchlights sweeping the river. The Amethyst, at full speed ahead, passed through to the mouth of the river and made contact with HMS Concord and sent the time-honoured signal:

"Have rejoined the fleet off Woosung...God save the King."

Fcuking nails!!!

15. Great thread fellas. Many Thanks !