Best planned and executed military operation in history?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Bushmills, Mar 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Since there may be thousands of such operations to choose from, I choose the simplest. And it's late.

My favourite, Homer's Odyssey. Beware of Greeks bearing Gifts According to the legend of the Trojan Horse, Prince Paris from Troy had kidnapped or seduced the Greek queen; Helen, from Sparta ( as well most of her husband's household contents. Say, about 1200 BC. She may or may not have been a two faced conniving cow and married Paris as well as fcukin the Greeks over. The Greek warriors set sail for Troy to fight for their queen, starting the Trojan War. For about nine or ten years,the Greeks tried to get over the wall around the city of Troy (probably about twenty feet high). The Trojans couldn't see the Greeks off, either. Deadlock. Until Greek General Oddyseus/ Ulysses, cooked up a scheme to sail away "in defeat" and leave the Greeks a present, a nice wooden horse. Without mentioning thirty or so blokes (with Ulysses) holed up in the horse. >The Trojans should have burned Dobbin when it was suggested, but instead got wankered to celebrate. Big mistake . The fabled treasure of Troy was nowhere to be found though. When the city started to burn, King Priam concealed the royal treasure in the wall of Troy, knowing that the Greeks would never think to look there. German Heinrich Schliemann in 1870, found the treasure centuries after the city had fallen. But don't quote me on all of this will you.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Op Biting, capture of an German radar in eneny-occupied France by C company, 2nd Battalion the Parachute Regiment in WW2. Lead by the brilliant Johnny Frost of Arnhem Bridge fame. At the ILLRP school in the 80's, they still used this as the perfect tri-service operation. Got to be on the list.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Op Agricola... For 3 reasons. It was a lovely day out in the sunshine. I had a little nap just after lunch while sprawled out on the roof of my 434 and lastly, because I got a medal.

In all seriousness, it was a major operation that went relatively smoothly (apart from the sneaky Russians stopping off at duty free). Ok, there wasn't all that much shooting or excitement but how do you measure an operations success? Low casualty rate? Number of objectives achieved?
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Operation Overlord. We take the D Day landings and the defeat of Germany in the West for granted.

There was so much that could have gone wrong. It was an amphibious assualt across a difficult strtch of water against one of the most powerful armies of the C20th.

Strategy was set and run by a committee. Most of the troops had either too little or too much exposure to combat experience and limited confidence in the superiority of their weapons. For the first month the Germans handsomely outnumbered the Allies in France

It is easy to focus on what didn't go as well as expected only becuase so much went according to plan.

its also an operation on a huge scale.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  5. How about some parameters in order to narrow down the millions of possible nominations?

Do you mean something like my Battery getting from point A to point B without losing a single vehicle, or are we talking about Von Boch/Paulus/Manstein's brilliant counter-stroke against the Russian offensive at the second battle of Kharkov....?
  6. I have to plump for Granby/Desert Storm here. Plenty of time, resources and planning resulted in the greatest military rout in modern times. Of course it doesn't compare to the 'big' battles of WWII in terms of casualties (well not ours at least), but in terms of planning and executing an entire war all I can say it was just a good job we still had all of our cold war toys to play with. If Saddam left the invasion another 2 years for western it may have been a differant story with western forces having drawn down to extreamly low levels, and us getting bogged down with the Balkans.
  7. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Battle of Sahagún - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you ignore the fact that Black Jack Slade spent the best part of an hour giving a Henry V-stylee speech to the Tinny Tenth Hussars while Lord Paget executed his part of his back-of-a-fag-packet plan and the 15th destroyed a French cavalry brigade in minutes for the loss of two killed, then when Slade and his mob eventually fronted up, Paget thought in the dark that it might be more Frenchies and abandoned the pursuit.

15th's execution: perfect. 10th's: abject. 15th got the battle honour; 10th didn't. Says it all really.
  8. The withdrawal from Galipolli was a rather impressive retreat. Fooled Johnny Turk and got everyone away.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. There was a bloke called Wellesley a couple of hundred years ago, who was said to have an eye for battle.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor must be considered as up there in the top ten. Would it have been so successful, from their point of view, if the US Navy had been even half alert?
    • Like Like x 1
  11. If they'd hit the carriers it may have been. As it was they sank some ships that were to prove to be obsolete anyway, destroyed a few planes on the ground and did some damage to port facilities.

From memory, they would have been better off ignoring the ships and hitting the port facilities with everything they had.