Best Places to get reviews for a novel about US Navy during Second World War

I've been chatting on LinkedIn with a fellow scribbler, George Jackson, about his book 'Sheppard of the Argonne: Alterative History Naval Battles of WWII'. I'm planning to order a copy when my next royalty check comes through. George writes under the name G. William Weatherly , and he was a four ringer in the American Grey Funnel Line, and according to mutual acquaintances, was a bloody good officer and is a nice bloke.

Apparently the Royal Navy has a prominent role in the book and George is very keen to raise awareness about the book in the UK. Who should he send review copies to? I'll let you know my thoughts on the book but a review from a Matelot might carry a bit more weight.

Last edited:
I

Ian807

Good luck and I can only think of the Naval and Military Press, or Pen and Sword Fiction? I've seen fiction on their websites and they were quite helpful to me. But breaking in to publishing is difficult as well as expensive for unknown authors. Good luck though.

I've been chatting on LinkedIn with a fellow scribbler, George Jackson, about his book 'Sheppard of the Argonne: Alterative History Naval Battles of WWII'. I'm planning to order a copy when my next royalty check comes through. George writes under the name G. William Weatherly , and he was a four ringer in the American Grey Funnel Line, and according to mutual acquaintances, was a bloody good officer and a nice bloke.

Apparently the Royal Navy has a prominent role in the book and George is very keen to raise awareness about the book in the UK. Who should he send review copies to? I'll let you know my thoughts on the book but a review from a Matelot might carry a bit more weight.
Have You thought of sending Seaweed a PM?

Just looked at Amazon and it has excellent reviews there.

I know it is not in the UK but The US Naval Institute runs the US Naval Institute Press and publishes the monthly Proceedings of the Naval Institute which does have book reviews. Odd thing about the USNI. Back in the early 80's a man had written a novel on submarines and it was turned down by every major publisher. Tom Clancy then sent a manuscript to the USNI Press and Hunt for Red October hit the best seller list for many many weeks. I have a first edition and it is odd. Format, paper and printing are more like a textbook than a popular novel.

I was talking to my former wife the other day. Her husband (retired USN 4 striper, MoH from Vietnam war) is writing his memoirs and finding a lack of interest from publishers. I told her they should try the USNI.

Bowmore_Assassin

LE
Book Reviewer
I've been chatting on LinkedIn with a fellow scribbler, George Jackson, about his book 'Sheppard of the Argonne: Alterative History Naval Battles of WWII'. I'm planning to order a copy when my next royalty check comes through. George writes under the name G. William Weatherly , and he was a four ringer in the American Grey Funnel Line, and according to mutual acquaintances, was a bloody good officer and a nice bloke.

@Auld-Yin may be able to help...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk