Best Places for a Good, Old-Fashioned Stroll?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by southern sapper, Mar 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The other half and I are going to struggle getting away for more than a long weekend or two this Easter, so thought we would remain in the country and partake in a few little walks through the great British countryside. Thing is, neither of us really know where to go! Any travelled walkers knocking about on here got any ideas?
  2. Get yourself to the peak district loads of nice boozers in Castleton. Could do some circular walks to get started.
  3. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Depends. Do you like hills, in which case I might suggest hilly places. Or flat. In which case, river walks. How are your hip joints? Where are you based?

That last is important. If you are based in the north I may have a few suggestions. If you are based in the south, **** off you shandy drinking puff.
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Did some of the SW coastal path round Mousehole, St Just & St Agnes Head last month - Spectacular. Otherwise, anywhere really. If you're round about Salisbury Plain, the Mendips or Malverns. If doing the Malverns, get some Elgar on the I.pod.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Brecon Beacons National Park.
    Pembrokeshire Coast National Park
    Snowdonia National Park.

Yes they're all in Wales. Some might see that as a disadvantage, some may not.
  6. Highlands -Berrydale Braes
    West Highland Way up the west coast!
  7. Lake District, cracking views and top walks!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. We use to stay at the brotherswater inn near Patterdale, not been for years, lovely place.
    Hartsop fold has some nice log cabins.
    Whitelee farm in Northumbria has some lovely cottages with lovely open fires.
  9. We stop at a camp site on Gilside farm in Glenriding. Easy access to Striding Edge and Swiril Edge, Sticks pass and the numerous other walks nearby. Last summer we spent a good deal of time over on place fell, Patterdale Hotel has a cracking pint of Stella which refreshes after a long day on the hills!
  10. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Lakes and Dales are good. Some shots from Striding Edge in the Lakes:

CIMG0745e.jpg lakes2.jpg lakes1.jpg
  11. We did Striding Edge in zero viz on adventure training absloutly cracking fun for experienced mountaineers shame our boss wasn't, even worse wouldn't listen when we pointed out he couldn't read a map.
  12. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

That would get my vote. I do love the Dales and the wilds of Northumberland. I made my bones fell walking, climbing and skree shooting in the Lake District, but it is just too full of people these days. Up the west coast you don't even need a guide book. Just get out the car and hack off. You will not see the hand of man all day long.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Until you see a wicker-built figure hove into view in the distance....
    • Like Like x 1