Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best place to sell old fishing gear

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I've finally been able to retrieve my Dad's fly fishing gear from the ex...
I know he spent a lot on some of it, I don't fish - neither do my two sons so i'd rather sell it so someone can continue using it rather than hide it away until it's time for my sons to clear it out into a skip.
There's five rods, ranging from 'weekday' Shakespear brand to a Hardy rod together with a Split cane one made by a guy in Settle, also a reed rod which was my Grandfathers, probably from between the wars.
All the usual paraphanalia is there along with four or five reels which appear to be in decent nick.

Does anyone know of a buyer / dealer that will give a relatively honest appraisal?
Thanks.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Can I suggest you lay it out, take some pictures and post those?

morsk

LE
I imagine any reputable fishing shop owner will tell you a fair price if you take them to him....

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer

Attachments

• IMG_20200519_121144.jpg
    IMG_20200519_121144.jpg
    826.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20200519_121207.jpg
    IMG_20200519_121207.jpg
    652.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20200519_121213.jpg
    IMG_20200519_121213.jpg
    675.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20200519_121218.jpg
    IMG_20200519_121218.jpg
    745.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20200519_121246.jpg
    IMG_20200519_121246.jpg
    618.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20200519_121302.jpg
    IMG_20200519_121302.jpg
    568.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20200519_121306.jpg
    IMG_20200519_121306.jpg
    568.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20200519_121310.jpg
    IMG_20200519_121310.jpg
    580.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20200519_121810.jpg
    IMG_20200519_121810.jpg
    557.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20200519_121830.jpg
    IMG_20200519_121830.jpg
    615.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20200519_122001.jpg
    IMG_20200519_122001.jpg
    622.1 KB · Views: 34

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I imagine any reputable fishing shop owner will tell you a fair price if you take them to him....
That's why i'm asking here if anyone knows any reputable ones, it's difficult to tell the wheat from the chaff

morsk

LE
That's why i'm asking here if anyone knows any reputable ones, it's difficult to tell the wheat from the chaff
Ahhhhh....... got you. If it were me, I would take it to a backstreet one owned by an old boy and make it clear right off that I wasn't going to sell it to him.

Niamac

GCM
Alternatively go to an appropriate club, in this case, fly fishing and sound out their opinions. Same caveat don't sell to the first offer.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
What area are you in? It might not be worthwhile to suggest one in Newquay if you're in Aberdeen.
East Mids (unfortunately).

If you are near Salisbury they have an auction of shooting and fishing stuff about 4 times a year. (There are probably others around the country ).

Auctioneers will take about 10% , you can put a reserve price on it. After that , you will probably get a safer offer than going to an individual dealer.

Edit - Sorry google Netherhampton auctions of sporting goods

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer

soleil

War Hero
OneTenner

I wonder whether the Angling Trust could advise?

e-mail:

admin@anglingtrust.net

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
OneTenner

I wonder whether the Angling Trust could advise?

e-mail:

admin@anglingtrust.net

Good plan! - just fired an email in their direction.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I've finally been able to retrieve my Dad's fly fishing gear from the ex...
I know he spent a lot on some of it, I don't fish - neither do my two sons so i'd rather sell it so someone can continue using it rather than hide it away until it's time for my sons to clear it out into a skip.
There's five rods, ranging from 'weekday' Shakespear brand to a Hardy rod together with a Split cane one made by a guy in Settle, also a reed rod which was my Grandfathers, probably from between the wars.
All the usual paraphanalia is there along with four or five reels which appear to be in decent nick.

Does anyone know of a buyer / dealer that will give a relatively honest appraisal?
Thanks.
I sent the pics to a friend who 'does' fishing. He recommends that auction house post #11, so there ya go :)

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I sent the pics to a friend who 'does' fishing. He recommends that auction house post #11, so there ya go :)
Excellent! thanks for your assistance :)

Auction house is the way ahead.

I had thousands of pounds worth of match fishing gear, and made the mistake of putting it on ebay. Hundreds of chancers trying to get it for peanuts, i ended up closing my ebay account and email, and getting a new phone number!

Luckily, I fished at a half decent level, so had plenty of decent contacts who managed to shift it for me - all maggot drowners though, no fly chuckers - sorry!

My old man would have had that lot off you, loved his fly fishing - sadly no longer with us though.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Auction house is the way ahead.

I had thousands of pounds worth of match fishing gear, and made the mistake of putting it on ebay. Hundreds of chancers trying to get it for peanuts, i ended up closing my ebay account and email, and getting a new phone number!

Luckily, I fished at a half decent level, so had plenty of decent contacts who managed to shift it for me - all maggot drowners though, no fly chuckers - sorry!

My old man would have had that lot off you, loved his fly fishing - sadly no longer with us though.
My Grandad was a Gamekeeper in North Yorkshire, the reed rod was his, clearly where my Dad got the interest from - a lot of the flies were hand made by my Dad. I tried to get interested in it but always found the tracking, snaring and shooting I did with my Grandfather more interesting and far more active!

My Grandad was a Gamekeeper in North Yorkshire, the reed rod was his, clearly where my Dad got the interest from - a lot of the flies were hand made by my Dad. I tried to get interested in it but always found the tracking, snaring and shooting I did with my Grandfather more interesting and far more active!
Yeah, I always preferred to go maggot drowning with my Grandfather rather than fly chucking with my dad when I was younger - and it stuck with me. I tried Fly fishing, but i always found it a lot of work for little reward!

The reel at bottom right, and the accompanying spare spool at top left is a Shakespeare Graflite. I had two that were stolen from my car, they were good workhorses. Could you take a 'really close' close up of the green floating line on them please, so I can see if it's cracked or useable. I think they were about £20 brand new with spare spool when I bought them about 20 years ago. How much you want for that posted?

The cane rod is lovely, I have one by the same maker, aan 8ft that casts a number five double taper beautifully, I used it to catch my first wild brown from the River Dart at Buckfastleigh in Devon, a f$%^in' long time ago!
Some of the older tackle will be eagerly purchased for ornaments on the wall in 'country' pubs.

Your avatar makes me wary of buying from. Get us a cuppa tea Errol!