Best place for family service records

Discussion in 'RLC' started by The_Big_Floater, May 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am trying to do some research on my families service history, however Ancestory.co.uk isn't that good to find what I am after, where else can I find records of thier military service, so you know my great great grandfather was ASC and I am struggling to get his records, he served in WW1

Any advise is really appreciated

2. I thought the Ancestry site was reasonably good at providing WW1 data (although I have never used them).

Some of the WW1 records (WO363) were lost or damaged in WW2 so you might be unlucky. Try the National Archives website and look for the medal rolls (all WW1 soldiers should have been awarded one or more of the medals known as Pip, Squeak and Wilfred). Also look for the records called WO363 which are the records of service.

If you are not successful try playing with phonetic variations of the surname. Also try swapping around the initials/Christian names. What you think they were called might not be what they enlisted under!

There are other posters on here who are far more knowledgeable.

Litotes

3. I found the imperial war graves commission were very good, rather than focus on regi numbers I would concentrate on the unit it's self, it's much easier to find out where they were and what they were doing when. Then you can narrow the search at particular sites. By that I mean most battlefields have a tour and museum guide. At Verdun there are terminals to help people search for lost relatives. Also try calling any good battlefield tour operators as they have a wealth of info on that kind of thing. Let us know how you get on!

4. Cheers for all the info guys, SA I think I will have to follow this route as I have struggled with this for a while with no joy.Cheers chaps.

5. Hi I am afraid SA is only partially right SPVA only hold the records from WW2 onwards, WW1 records or what is left of them as a previous poster mentioned the records office holding all these documents was bombed and those documents that survived suffered both fire and water damage, are held at the national archives and the majority of these have been electronically scanned by Ancestry. In conjunction with the National Archives (NA) so it could be if you cannot find them on ancestry they did not survive, if you go onto the NA website there is lots of info on tracing WW1 servicemen. I have been researching a few family members myself and it is a very frustrating business. If you need any further info PM me the details of your relative and I will try and do a few searches.

Cheers