Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Best or Worse Interview you ever had ?

I had an interview 15 years ago for an I.T. contracting position. Very early on in the interview it became apparent that they were looking for a different skill set to the ones I had (Microsoft ).
I'm really enjoying the interview and getting on very well with the two gents interviewing me when one of them asks "why do you want to work at the **** ? Quick as a flash I replied "you're kidding, you've got 7 floors of wall to wall tottie !!!! They fell about laughing and told me that was the best answer to that question they have ever heard.
I left the interview feeling in good spirits even though I thought the job had escaped me.....I got a call from my agent telling me I got the job (they created a new position for me) :)
I spent 2 very happy years there and met wife number 3 :D

Invited to interview at a certain "Oxbridge" college. Interview was really V, couth and most civilised, more like being at a drinks party with only a few guests. All was going really rather well then one of the twinkly eyed and ancient dons waved a copy of his newspaper in my direction to attract my attention and came out with the immortal line: " ........All well and good, now, prove to me you exist."

Quick as a flash and with not a word uttered I made my way to the side of the previously mentioned interviewer and used my 'fag lighter to set fire to his newspaper.

Once the resulting chaos had died down at least the interviewer conceded that I had satisfactorily proved my existence and much to my own amazement a while later I was offered a place.

V, much doubt that this direct action would be quite so generously received these days though.

Worst interview was when I was recruiting an assistant, and brought in what I had deemed to be an average looking Polish girl. For the first interview, she dressed a bit frumpy and had her hair in a pony tail, so looked nothing special, although I could see she had potential. On the second interview, with our by-the-book cow of an HR director in attendance, in comes Polish girl looking like a Dior catwalk model. My jaw dropped. I spent the whole interview examining every word I was about to utter in case my sexual desire overtook my sensible side. Several times as she was answering I could feel the HR Directors eye's scanning me for the obvious.

She bombed at the interview, but in hindsight was a godsend as I didn't fancy a semi hard-on and my head swimming with sexual deviances every working minute.

I was at a top table threesome when the next applicant came in and sat down. She promptly vomited in her lap, apologised, got up and left - didn't spill a drop, but didn't get the job, bless....

Walked into office, gets a hand shake, "well done you have the job. Now for a bollocking!"
Best and worst in one easy sentence.

This dates back to the days when HR didn't exist (late 80s), when the involvement in recruiting from the Personnel Dept was limited to drawing up contracts, and senior team leaders were trusted to interview and appoint staff who would fit in with the team.
Having just taken over a new post, heading a team of 8, I was presented with a list (and CVs) of 30 short-listed candidates for an entry-level post.
My first week in the job was thus taken up with conducting six interviews a day.
Some of the highlights were:
The candidate who stated his membership of CND, or something similar - anti-military, anyway. When asked how he squared that with applying for a post in a defence-related organisation, he replied "Something has to pay the bills";

The candidate who was so boring I fell asleep during the interview;

The obligatory spilled coffee cup;

The candidate who, having been apprised that I had just been appointed, proceeded to tell me how to do my job;

The candidate who ...

On the Friday, having just finished one interview, I received a phone call from Reception to say "This next one is really good".
To have impressed the good ladies on reception to that extent, whoever was about to come into the boardroom was going to enter with a load of plus points.
When she came in, jaws dropped.
I had heard my immediate boss give his spiel some 28 times, by then, before leaving me to it.
On this occasion, he dried completely!
The young lady in question was smart in all senses of the word and got the job.

Several years later she became the Editor of JDW and, subsequently, the first female Editor of Flight International.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Had someone apply for a job as a continental truck driver who gave the reason for leaving his last job was he found the drive from Eastleigh to Southampton to tiring.

He didn't get the job.

Worst: large company, travelled 120 miles and find potential boss plus HR twat both asking questions that made no sense for the role, until after 10 minutes I was forced to ask them to clarify what the job was.

Answer was nothing like what I had been told. Complete waste of time.

Best

Call from former boss, good bloke and now running European division of large IT outfit.

"I am in deep shit because this lot are a bunch of mongs. Need somebody to help me out."

"When do I start?"

Years ago, I had an interview for a telecoms engineer job. They asked me if I had any points on my driving license. The male interviewer then proceeded to tell me of one engineer who was on 9 points, and then got flashed, meaning he would lose his license and therefore his job.

So, he pulled up his van, put on his hi-viz, put some cones around the speedcam, got out his tools, and in full view of everyone, he opened up the camera and ripped out anything he thought may incriminate him. To any passing motorist or pedestrian, including Police, he would have looked like a bona fide camera maintenance engineer going about his business.

I didn't feel it appropriate to mention any similar direct action I have taken - not that I would as you all know.

When they asked me what I knew about lining up directional antennae, I sketched a diagram of how the dish receives the beam, which looked like a cock and balls. Both interviewers were pissing themselves laughing.

I got the job.

I went for a job as a walking guide at the lake district national park authority, the mention of Parachute regiment didn't help, in fact the look of horror on their faces was quite a give away.

( Is punching old ladies in the kidneys for having underweight bergans that wrong ! )

Had to interview a few years ago an an Ex-WO, who had a dreary but plentiful CV which didn't seem to all add up. After breaking down the CV in the interview, it transpired that since leaving the forces some 20 years previously, all the jobs he'd done were exactly the same one and all that had changed were the company names on buy-out after buy-out.

Didn't get a 2nd interview, let alone the job.

Best interview ad agency. Made them laugh. We'd already done the minus bits, crap hours, deadlines and effects on liver and relationships. Plus point money.
While being walked to the door my interviewer stuck out his hand for a thank you and final handshake. I was concentrating on where I was going, tripped over my feet, bounced off the doorpost and as he grabbed me to hold me up the tags on a string inside the jacket fell out.
'If the suits not back in an hour. I have to buy it' they thought I was kidding.