Best national intelligence service

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Devil_Dog, Oct 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Certainly not the CIA. Over the last decade or so they missed amongst others:

The Indian and Pakistan nuclear bomb tests.

The bombings of the WTC (the first time around.)

USS Cole.

Embassy bombings in Africa.

"Torture memos," etc etc.

So what country has the best foreign intelligence service and why?

I nominate Pakistan's ISI for the simple reason that they have kept the West on a short leash for more than ten years but still we are not within ten light years of figuring them out.
  2. Why have you got 'oxygen thief' under your avatar????
  3. Does the winner get a pack of top trumps cards?

The Swiss, 'cos they're rich and haven't been invaded for a year or so. Good enough in my book.

edeted 4 spelin
  4. There was that Int Brigadier of theirs who was selling info in the cold war though.
  5. Because he is one. Simple when you think about it, eh? 8O
  6. Ok, you vacuum cleaner, just never seen one before is all. :roll:
  7. Dont spoil his run.

or mine for that matter.
  8. Despite the fact that some of the very brightest government employees I have known were CIA officers I could not support calling the CIA the best. The agency was so damaged by the "Halloween Massacre" 31 years ago, when Carter was President and Stansfield Turner was DCI that many feel it has never fully recovered. Turner fired over 800 experienced field intelligence and operations officers as he felt that with technical intelligence assets they were not needed. Oddly, Turner has criticised the agency for it's failures despite the fact that many in the community feel that he and Carter are the root cause of the problem.

My uncle was a classmate of both Carter and Turner. I do know he had no liking for either of them. I will be seeing him in a couple of weeks and must ask him why he disliked them. I do know that the intel types I have known felt the damage Carter and Turner did was quite serious.

Who is best. Right now I would vote for China.
  9. Living up to your rep in spectacular fashion. You'll be getting one soon.
  10. And Iran.
  11. worry about Udssr = moscow.

they never closed the cold war. just postponed it.

for those who are a little toooooo young.

after the collapse of the iron curtain the amount of russian spies (caught with his trousers down) etc was almost so small someone said it was a joke. maybe they should look into this?

dont be silly he said. who the **** is HE asked somenone.

answer = you dont have the pay grade.
  12. [​IMG]

these guys, its not 9-5
  13. Not sure about National agencies but my ex wife had an intelligence network second only to Mossad.
  14. The Vatican, as it has always been.
  15. They're very good at the technical stuff but not that great at HUMINT, I've always felt. I stand by to be corrected, though.

(P.S. I'm assuming we're talking about CIA-equivalent and not internal security?)