Best music era.

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by TheLordFlasheart, Apr 15, 2005.

?
  1. 60s

19.4%
  2. 70s

16.7%
  3. 80s

50.0%
  4. 90s

13.9%
  5. 00s

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, sat here watching UKTV gold, TOTP 2 and am listening to Stone Roses, Dr Hook, Rose Royce, Soft Cell etc. I started thinking to myself 'have we arrived at a period of musical excellance on par with the cullinary delights of McDonalds'?

Gangsta Rap, non descript chav bands, 'winners of TV pop idol bands', some cnut 'remixing' dull dance anthems on a PC et al. Does anyone know who the feck No1 in the hit parade (sorry 'charts') is and does anyone care? Have the days of your sister proping her dodgy microphone from her cassette deck against the wireless on a Sunday evening, taping the charts, ensuring she clicked the pause button whilst the DJ does his 'countdown' gone??

Is the time rife for another 'Sex Pistols' style reality check of the music industry? (S'funny that the Yanks didnt seem to get the irony of 'Punk' and actually took it as a serious passage in music history).

PS Have also just dug out a dusty C90 cassette from the servants quarters with the 'top 20, 1979' on it. Was funny to hear the end of 'Message in a bottle' by the Police with a nano second of Dave Lee Travis introducing the next song just prior to the 'Pause button being pressed.

2. i do believe tony christie is still at number one, which kinda says it all when an old hit can make 3 weeks on top of the pops on the back of a comedian (albeit a very funny one imo)

3. Well, this decade has been totally shite so far. They seem to either be Trying-Too-Hard art School ponces, Pop Idol type acts or dull as dishwater dribblers such as Coldplay.

4. Mine would be mid 1979 with the backend of the punk era. New bands started to appear that were influential to others throughout the 80's. Most important years to me music wise would be 79 to 85. Some excellent albums (as well as chart singles). Soft Cell, Tubeway Army, Blondie, The Specials, Madness, Bowie, Police, Joy Div/New Order, The Jam, Depeche Mode and so on and so on. My opinion on today's music is that it's a rarity to find an act that is sincere in their love of their music. Majority want fame and riches NOW and produce crappy love songs.

Try this for scariness. Input your fav year (and month) on the link below, and click 'Submit'. It gives you a run down of which band appeared that month/year on ToTPs. It never ceases to amaze me, especially with one hit wonders from the late 70's to early 80's, as I can still remember watching their appearance on ToTPs!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/totpperf/search.pl?type=totp2&mode=advanced

I also went through a phase of loving the hardcore rap from the states, and have all the Public Enemy CDs, NWA, Wu Tan Clan and early Snoop Dogg. Play 'Straight out of Compton' by NWA on full bass/full volume and you'll see why!

5. Mine would have to be late 70's early 80's living in a series of squats, going to GLC free gigs almost every night:
    Jam,Clash,Eddie and the Hot Rods, Doctor Feelgood, Kirsty McCall, generation x, the undertones, the stranglers, the kursall flyers and The Decayed. Some of you may not of heard of the The Decayed, but they were the best punk/blues/rock band ever unfortunately the music businesss was so scared of their talent that it suffocated the band after only a handful of gigs. A sad loss to the world of music.

6. I tend to agree with Gunny: the late 70s, early 80s were the musical highpoint of my life. Having said that, it was also the time when I was 'coming of age'; discovering girls, sex and booze, and having a high old time of it which may be influencing my opinion somewhat. Bizarre as it may seem to anyone who knows me now, I was one of the 'cool' kids at a smart public school in London so I was getting laid a lot; and I'd fixed myself up with an evening job as a bouncer at the Hammersmith Odeon in London, thus I actually got paid to see most of the great bands of that era. It was a fantastic time.

It surprises me how well some of the punk and new wave bands have stood the test of time. Before I fücked up my shoulder, I was doing long runs training for the marathon with the walkman on; one of the best tapes to run to was 'The Best of the Damned'. Class!

7. I still love the music from the 80's. I know I'm getting old now (mid 30's) but I really do think that todays music on the whole is shite. To me it's all boybands and lazy bast*rds doing cover versions. My 17yo daughter seems to really lap this crap up. The 90's weren't too bad, though, with the likes of the Happy Mondays about and the start of the rave scene. I'm still well in to the likes of the Chemical Brothers and Carl Cox.

For me, though, the likes of Joy Division and New Order (Hooky is STILL a GOD!!!!) still rule the roost in my house along with Depeche Mode (got every CD of theirs :D). Not to mention the likes of the Jam, The Style Council (not one of Paul Wellers better projects I know), Madness, the Bodysnatchers, the Specials, and the Smiths (I know Morrissey is still a twat), etc. I can still remember listening to the likes of Spandau Ballet on BFBS Radio on the lovely white buses to school in Gutersloh. They used to be driven by Poles, remember that?

I have teenaged kids myself now and trying to tell them the history of the Fine Young Cannibals, for example, and how two of them were members of The Beat, is lost on them. They haven't got a clue who the lovely Kirsty McColl (RIP) is. :lol:

Funny how Gunny mentions Rap, I've got quite a few NWA, Eminem, Cypress Hill and Dr Dre CD's too. Do you reckon it might some sort of early life crisis thingy?
    :D

8. I have to say the 90's for descent music... but when I listen to the old 80's stuff... brings back a lot of memories :D

9. One of the largest problems is that the large labels have got themselves into a bit of a bind. For quite some time they have realised that due to a talent drought, or more precisely the failure of large lablels such as EMI to support bands through thick and thin (a good example of this was Toploader, who had a decent debut album and a bit of a naff second and were dropped like a very droppy thing because of poor sales).
    Because of this they stuck to the safe route where boy\girl\novelty acts provided for a large chunk of income at the expense of origionality and musical progression. This also does not help aspiring bands. Ringo Starr being interviewd recently said something very accurate 'Kids don't want to be in a band first and get famouse second. They want fame as a priority and the band comes last, thats why music is in trouble these days'
    As someone said earlier we are all waiting for a band to come along having the same kind of effect that the Sex Pistols and Nirvana had, but sadly I don't think they would get the backing they need.
    Aside from these blinding facts are other more insideous problems, not least airplay for new and existing bands. It seems that many radio stations are unduly influnced by the industry, especially into overlooking certain acts
    and prioritising others. A good example of this is Marillion and The Poppyfields (The Alarm) , who last year spent quite some time in the top ten, yet received almost zero airplay due to the 'playlist policy' of Radio 1. MArillion then went on to spend 5 weeks at number 2 in the download charts
    with another single which received zero airtime.
    The Uk music scene does need an overhaul, but I think it needs to be from the top down.

10. RTFQ

RTFQ RIP

I agree that pop music (ie whats in TOTP, Radio One, Capital Fm et al's playlists is dire, vacuous, talentless drivel. BUT, if you want to look for it (and it's not difficult, I only really get CDs from the high street) there is some dood stuff out there. If you try listening to these and still think modern music is pump, I will insert a G4 CD into my arrse.

Razorlight (go and see them live too)
    Killers (same)
    The Departrure
    The Bravery
    Engineers (not the RE Band)
    Martha Wainright
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Velvet Revolver (it's Guns and Roses without that fool axl rose (itself an anagram of I'm a fcuktard))
    Audioslave
    Jem (and she's fit)
    The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    Kasabian
    Hot Hot Heat
    Green Days latest

Come on, listening to the radio and saying all music is cr@p is like reading Heat magazine and saying all books are sh1te.

If you don't like modern rap, I can understand as people like eminem and 50 cent need shooting (50 cent's attitude reminds me of some drunken bosnian serb with an AK) - but just TRY listening to someone like JayZ, actually listen to what he's saying and appreciate the skill involved in making that sort of music. You may not like it, but it is done with intelligence, passion and flair.

If you fancy a big leap into the unknown, try to get a hold of Dangermouse's "Grey Album", I don't think it's actually the real DM, but its Rap AND Sampling all in one. Scary. It's sampled from the Beatles' White Album though, so it's not all evil.

edited because I'm a tool

11. For me, music pretty much ended in 1977, but there have been a few outbreaks since. The glory period is 1967-1977, where much of the rock talent was allowed to develop.

12. For pure musical stodge and showmanship, the 70's produced some horrors such as the full glam pop scene and the disco era, but flying high above all that were some great, great bands. Typically labelled as dinosaurs by Mr. J. Rotten et al, those that really came into their own, playing their own instruments, studio experimentation and superb live gigs, we have in no particular order:
    Pink Floyd
    Genesis
    Yes
    ELP
    The Stones
    Queen and of course, the mighty
    Led Zeppelin.
    Punk brought things back to basics and spawned great acts such as SLF, The Clash, Sham 69 and The Stranglers.
    If anyone's seen the musical "We Will Rock You" the basis you'll remember is returning music to people playing their instruments. Guitars are banned and at the start of the show, there is an elaboration of what was released in the 60's (Heartbreak Hotel), 70's Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon, Bohemian Rhapsody etc. We get to the 80's and who do we have as number 1? Jive Bunny! In the 90's Mr. Fecking Blobby.
    The New Romantic era, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet etc. Dated and favourites of the karaoke machine.
    The 60's started it and the 70's continued it. There is no soul, no feeling and no actual talent in made up bands singing Waterman's dirges. Great for little pre-teens but at what cost? No longevity and a quick buck. The labels are to blame for the mass produced pap of boy and girl "bands". Bring back the huge PA systems, the lighting rigs and the sheer excitement of a proper live gig, no overdubs, no miming - just passion for the music.

13. Why does the poll only start from the sixties? My paternal grandmother used to rave on ( not with cylumes ) about fifties music when masterbating me with her feet when I was younger. Ahhh happy days.

14. RTFQ

RTFQ RIP

It's worth remembering that pop music needs to be dire. One of the big reasons for the massive evolutionary leap in music in the 60s and 70s was because much of mainstream music in 50s and early 60s had been drab and empty. The post war, vietnam opposing, cold war facing generation's social revolution kick started the leap in music (which in turn fuelled further social revolution) and the shiteness of mainstream tunes was something worthy to rebel against.

The problem now is that pop music is marketed directly at those people who should be rebelling against it, teenagers.

But remember, as I alluded to earlier, the scope with which some of you are monitoring modern music is limited to what the music business wants you to see. You don't go to the student gigs, pubs and clubs where the real music is always born, they may not be as well known, but we still have our own versions of the Cavern and Marquee clubs.

You lot are too busy watching the chavs and gangstas to notice the quiet ones listening to their own music and immersing themselves in their own culture. Hopefully some of them are busy strumming, bashing, slapping (and dare I say it, scratching) away in their mum's garage in guildford. Calling themselves the Hairy Testicles or Towers of London or something. They have a world run by george bush and halliburton, expensive university educations to face, houses they won't be able to buy until they're 50, no pensions to look forward to and in general a life that will consist of birth, work, kids, divorce, poverty, terrorism, Pop Idol and death to face. The generations before also patronise and villify them on a massive scale. They can talk to each other across the world via internet and sooner or later they will realise that the music industry has to listen to them more than any other demographic, or go under. You never know.... Old Johnny Peel hadn't given up and he knew his broccoli.

Oh and most of you are old cnuts who will NEVER like modern music, in the same way your dads used to tell you to "Turn that blo0dy racket down!" whilst you were bouncing away to Immigrant Song with your Led out. :wink:

15. Good call, RTFQ, but you forgot the Kaiser Chiefs!