Best Mountain Bike For Under £500 ?

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by CptDanjou, Jul 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As I get older and my knees say stop running and slow down I`m considering buying a mountain bike , I know SFA about them so let me know what to go for ? £500 budget.Second hand no problem.

PS I want suspension.
  2. It depends what type of riding you want to do with it.

Is it local commuting?
    Riding Cross Country trails?
    Riding for fitness on roads?
  3. Riding cross country / asphalt for fitness.
  4. You should be aware that a top quality bike of any type need not cost more than £22.00....

Silverline 196533 Bolt Cutters 760mm
    • Like Like x 2
  5. I ride to work everyday on road and track.

By using a bike with 29inch/700 wheels and no suspension I knocked loads of time off. Have a look at hybrids and cyclocross.

It's all about tastes but if you're not going to the mountains do you need a mountain bike?

Have a butcher's on e bay. The best makes have been listed by another poster. If you're smart you'll get a high spec bike for £500, but it won't be this year's model.
  6. Snakey beat me to it.
  7. It might be worth considering a 'hardtail' bike.
    I.e. Front fork suspension, but no suspension on the back.

This will give you better traction on asphalt as you're not wasting energy with the bike bouncing. Although most full suspension bikes have adjustable suspension on the rear spring (you will unlikely get an air suspension for the money), which means you can tighten it up or loosen it off depending on your ride surface. And the front forks suspension will take most of the impact when riding downhill on rough surface. That'll give your wrists and elbows some relief.

Good makes to look out for are Trek, Kona, Specialized, Cannondale, and even the old BMX favourite Mongoose.
  8. You'll struggle to find a decent full-susser new for £500- look for a used Specialized Stumpjumper, some think they're a bit vanilla but they're usually pretty well specced and they work. If you go for a hardtail your budget is seen as the minimum you'll pay for a serious bike and the magazines run annual 'dirty dozen' tests of machines at this price point; have a gander at the MBR (Mountain Bike Rider) and What Mountain Bike magazines' websites.
  9. Guess I should have mentioned I`m a big twat , 1.92 and 96kg.
  10. I dont want to fcuk my back up again so suspension seems logical , I used to ride hard tail choppers in my younger days , look good but bloody uncomfortable.
  11. Definately a hybrid or a 29er then. You'll have more room to move around and fit the bike better.