Best mini-laptop/ netbook?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Archangel, Jun 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I am looking to get a mini laptop/ notebook/ netbook or whatever the consensus term is for a small portable laptop.

BTW, No... I'm not some evil fecking barsteward city banker who likes to irritate people by tapping away in Costa Coffee slurping on a decaff latte while calculating their latest massive bonus! It's just that I somtimes need to take a laptop with me for work and study and i don't fancy lugging around a 17 inch laptop with a maximum battery life of 5 minues on standby!

The main players in this market seem to be Asus, Eee, Dell and at a pinch Samsung. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Ta

2. msr

msr LE

3. Excellent... many thanks for this msr.

The Samsung is certainly high on my list. I gather the EeePC S101 is the all singing/ all dancing Gucci netbook but it comes at a price. I have also heard Eee PC 1000HE is a goodie?

4. i was in the same boat mate ... i had a herna inducing laptop which i possibly would of cried if it broke or broke my leg! I bought a Samsung NC10 from amazon (300 quid) and for 22 quid got the 2gb upgrade. I think its amazing ... 9 hour battery life, fast, 160gb HHD, wireless, bluetooth etc etc, It comes in 4 colours .. blue, black, white and pink. I got the black one and since have bought my daughter the pink one.

5. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

6. Thanks for the recommendations guys! It seems like the Sumsung is way out in the lead!

7. Toshiba NB10 £250 in Staples, weighs about kilo and rocks my boat and fits in my Barber inside pocket

8. Samsung Nc10 voted and carried - i'm using on right now, my main PC is a gi-flippin-normous quad core 3.2Ghz 8gb RAM monster with all the portability of an aircraft carrier in Kandahar. I looked around, got the NC10 and it's bloody brilliant, really good - and if you hav the screen brightness turned down only a little it'll last 6 hours on battery, no problems.

Do it, its the sensible choice!

9. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Anyone know what the difference between the Samsung NC10 and N310 is? They look very different but seem to offer pretty similar specs. I'm assuming the N310 is just a newer model.

10. Well I'd say that about sews it up for the Samsung NC10!

I've just found this review from CNET. Netbook showdown: The top 10 mini laptops rated

In this the Samsung makes a very respectible No 4 in their hit parade but you can't beat personal recommendations!

Cheers

11. Ta for that ... a good price but i think I'll go with the Samsung.

Amazon seems to do the best deal at the moment

Amazon

They do a deal whereby you can get 2GB extra RAM ... Lead_Farmer you went for the memory upgrade option...is that reasonably easy to fit?

12. msr

msr LE

13. Im sorry to HiJack this thread.... Im just starting a Diploma Course and I was going to buy a full sized laptop becuae I thought reading and typing on a smaller one would be a pain... is there much diffrerence... will I go blind trying to read text?