Best military unit the world has ever seen?

reni_77 said:
Rarden_reaper said:
Well I ECHO that the only reason your all bigging up the spartan hoplite is cos you've all watched the 300 and are all taken in by the thinly veiled homo eroticism.
I reckon you could vent this evidently all consuming anger with a tour, would you like me to furnish you with the appropriate number for Glasgow to initiate the paperwork for potential deployment ? :D
I can't imagine why this guy has an Oxygen Thief Tag... :roll:

reni_77 said:
Rarden_reaper said:
Well I ECHO that the only reason your all bigging up the spartan hoplite is cos you've all watched the 300 and are all taken in by the thinly veiled homo eroticism.
I reckon you could vent this evidently all consuming anger with a tour, would you like me to furnish you with the appropriate number for Glasgow to initiate the paperwork for potential deployment ? :D

Perhaps your merc contacts could hook me up with some work?

Although I might be too ally for them... :D

Rarden_reaper said:
reni_77 said:
Rarden_reaper said:

Perhaps your merc contacts could hook me up with some work?

Although I might be too ally for them... :D
Certainly, I think you'd fit right in, PM your mobile number and ill give you a bell and spiel off the gen on where and who best to apply to :)

Mr_Deputy said:
This was a pretty good thread until you ladies turned up, now there's lipstick and face powder all over the place. It was a thread about the world's best warriors if anyone recalls?

Are you with the gay bishop who wants to close the site down? I mean no offence to him because he's gay. (I'm not bashing the bishop bit.)
So who would be your choice?

sosolid6 said:
The Greek phrase Molōn labe! (Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them!", is a classical expression of defiance reported by Plutarch in response to the Persian Army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons. It corresponds roughly to the modern equivalent English phrase "over my dead body", "bring it on" or, most closely, "come and get it". It is an exemplary use of a laconic phrase.
Spartans were reknowned for their brevity and pithiness; as well as purely military disciplines they were also taught from birth to value learning and to condense their thoughts into as few words as possible. Their officer class were in great demand around the Greek world as mediators and arbiters as well as soldiers.

But before we go getting all dewey-eyed about them, they were a deeply unpleasant society even by the standards of the day. Apart from the initial left-on-a-hillside test for any baby judged too weak by the local elders, they had institutional slavery by dint of birth.

Their treatment of helots was particularly despicable and we should also remember that for all their military might, the Spartans could never put down the Messenian helot revolt - essentially a 'War on Terror' of the Classical age.