Best military Phases in history?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by sosolid6, Aug 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just was wondering on the best phrases in histoy that still ring true today.

Battle of Thermopylae

Leonidas dismissed the bulk of the Greek army, and remained to guard the rear with 300 Spartans, 700 Thespians, 400 Thebans and perhaps a few hundred others, the vast majority of whom were killed.

The Greek phrase Molōn labe! (Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them!", is a classical expression of defiance reported by Plutarch in response to the Persian Army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons. It corresponds roughly to the modern equivalent English phrase "over my dead body", "bring it on" or, most closely, "come and get it". It is an exemplary use of a laconic phrase.

Μολὼν λαβέ was reportedly the defiant response of King Leonidas I of Sparta to Xerxes I of Persia at the onset of the Battle of Thermopylae (480 BC). Xerxes, whose forces vastly outnumbered the Spartans and their allies, offered to spare the lives of Leonidas and his few thousand warriors if they would only surrender and lay down their weapons.

Instead, the Spartans held Thermopylae for three days and, although they were ultimately annihilated, they inflicted serious damage upon the Persian army, and most importantly delayed its progress to Athens, providing sufficient time for the city's evacuation to Salamis Island
  2. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning we will remember them!

When you go home tell them of us, and say; for your tomorrow we gave our today’
  3. 'They came on in the same old style, we drove them off in the same old style'
    Wellington's classically British, laconic, understated description of the Battle of Waterloo...
  4. "F UCKING GET IN!! I'm the new Fuhrer!!"

Grand Admiral Karl Donitz
    April 1945
  5. Pob02

Pob02 War Hero Book Reviewer

"I'll get the brews in". Said by any Subby anywhere to me.
  6. 'Its good to see you come Alex,
    But its great to see you go....'

Grandad A, RM
  7. Ouch!

I told you to lube up first!!!

Reni to fallschrimjager...last night

- Wellington ordering the Coldstream Guards to attack the French Imperial Guard at Waterloo.
  9. “What the was that”
    Mayor of Hiroshima
  10. "Set phasers tae malky"

Scottish Star Trek.
  11. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

"You may not be interested in war dear boy,but war is very interested in you!"
  12. "Cry Havoc, and let slip the dogs of War"

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
    For he that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition.
    And gentlemen in England, now a-bed,
    Shall thinks themselves accursed they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon St Crispins day!"

Henry V (as reported by Williams Shakespeare)
  13. What about...

Nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won - the Duke of Wellington 8)
  14. Dont need lube with him, quick sniff of poppers and a swig of orange tango and it fits like a glove.

Are you still upset because the army never quite delivered what you expected ? :D
  15. mmmm delivered..yes