Best Microwave

I've had a Panasonic Dimension4 combination microwave/convection oven/grill for years. Decent capacity, does the job well. Don't know about the newest Panasonics but I reckon they'd be worth a look at.

Last one I brought was a Liebherr from John Lewis, rather better than the cheap crap it replaced
Liebherr make all Miele refrigeration. Same quality, similar prices

Dunno about microwaves - bought mine in 1996 and it still looks pristine and does the job of irradiating stuff nicely. However, I'm in the market for a new 'fridge. 55cm wide by 175cm high category. Fridge in top half, preferably 70/30 proportion (or 60/40). Any hints, for sensible money? The Beko ones they've got in Currys look just the ticket but I'm unfamiliar with the brand, the durability/longevity/reliability of their products and think they might be a "cheap brand" like Bush or Grundig (i.e. crap).
It all depends on your budget. With most things, buy cheap, buy twice

It all depends on your budget. With most things, buy cheap, buy twice
The Whirlpool I've had for ten years was only a couple of hundred. It still works: I'm just fed up of having to bend down to fetch a beer.

Last one I brought was a Liebherr from John Lewis, rather better than the cheap crap it replaced
Will JL take the old one away? It won't go in the back of a Peugeot 208 and the council take the piss on fees.

We bought a smashing Zanussi gas cooker ( double oven) 18 months ago thinking the usual...buy cheap buy twice. This one was nigh on £600.00. I thought...."this bad boy will see us out" It seemed well enough built. To cut a long short, it triggered no less than 7 engineer warranty visits to try and fix the ovens cutting out. Or, I should say 4 visits for the first one, and 3 for the warranty replacement. We ended up on first name terms with the guy. Eventually, he wrote off the second appliance after informing us they are made under licence somewhere...by Indesit I seem to recall and are utter shyte.
His mantras are stay away from Zanussi & Hotpoint.
Currys supplied a new Beco ( yes...I know) which is easier to use and so far 100% reliable. It seems better made as well.
A bit like cars, manufacturing seems to be going the same badge engineering route.
We've had a Beco 50/50 fridge & condenser tumble drier fitted to our new kitchen so it's too early to comment on their reliability but it's all covererd. So much for a quality brand.
Pretty much a similar tale to our neighbour who bought a BMW One for " Bavarian Motor Works" quality" reasons which he hardly sees due to warranty repairs. Made in China of course...not that it should impact quality.

We have a Zanussi washing machine and tumble dryer.
The washer is over 10 years old and never seen an engineer and just works. It may be getting a little tired as you now have to give the door a good slam, but then it has probably done at least one wash every day on average.
The tumbler is rarely used but is over 7 years old with no probs.

Microwaves: I had a Bosch microwave / grill which was bought cheap as ex-display with a couple of marks on it. When we re-did the kitchen 8 years ago I passed it on to a friend and it's still working. It was bought in 1995.

The current one is a Kenwood stainless steel thing. It works. It's unexciting.

Will JL take the old one away? It won't go in the back of a Peugeot 208 and the council take the piss on fees.
Last time, they charged us a few quid to fit the new and take away the old....oddly, it still worked out cheaper than buyer from Currys with "free" delivery and "free" disposal

I’m no expert (hence this post) but I wouldn’t buy beko. The dame used to go through white goods at an alarming rate. I tended to stick with Bosch and Belling (belling cookers over 30: years old).

Replaced with Bosch so far so good. Although the new dishwashers a Grundig. ( I ordered a Bosch). Spotty youth in Curry’s convinced her that the Grundigs a better machine. Spotty youth had better be right.
Spotty yoofs at Currys/PC World are frequently spotty lying yoofs, especially in the one beside the Abbeycentre

Any hints, for sensible money? The Beko ones they've got in Currys look just the ticket but I'm unfamiliar with the brand, the durability/longevity/reliability of their products and think they might be a "cheap brand" like Bush or Grundig (i.e. crap).

Depends what it it. I bought a refurb washer and dryer (I'm cheap) from my local fixit man. He fixes and sells white goods all the time and told me that the best washer to buy was a Bosch but I'd be much better off with a Beko dryer as they are very reliable.

She’s the cook. Loves gas, treats the belling like an antique curiosity, despite the fact it’s been doing Christmas dinners for the last 20years.
I have cooked for nearly 40 years of marriage, always used the oven for Xmas dinner, squeezed in the turkey, roast spuds, various roast veggies and some yorkshire puds..........................BUT, last year ..............I saw these in Wally World and thought "why not, I can only fcuk up Xmas dinner and get crucified once".

And, I tell you what, it worked a bleeding treat, turkey was perfick and I had plenty of room in the oven without playing musical veggies. The septics use them for their thanksgiving dinner preparations, and I reckon with only using it once, maybe twice a year it should outlive me.

Highly recommended I give it 10 out of 10 for convenience, practicality and end result.

18 Qt Roaster, Porcelain Cookwell - S/S Body & Lid

Ovens can be had that'll run off a 13 amp plug. It's hobs wot need large helpings of amps. You can get combo jobbies without turntables. S'pose a gas hob 'n a box of matches is handy if your leccy gets cut, bugger all else will work in this smart appliance electronic age.

If you want a plug in oven buy a halogen oven. No pre-heating. Just stick your food in and turn it on. Cover your food with foil until the last 10 minutes for browning.
halogen.jpg

The kitchens being ripped out and replaced in the town house (hurrah). I’ve got everything I want in it. But I compromised on the cooker. As there’s never been an electric one in the kitchen it seems silly to start putting in a new ringmain thingy.
So we’re sticking with a new mains gas one.

Then I thought, maybe there’s an all singing all dancing microwave combo job out there that’ll save me having to mess around with gas and terrifying the dog.

Any ideas
Thank you.
How much money do you have to spend?

Most will take away the old machine.

When I worked for Curry's many moons ago, you got £50 discount if they took away your old fridge. You should have seen the dragged-out-the lake and old fly-tipped monstrosities presented as working items for replacement

Not so nowadays, my new NEFF uses a 13amp socket, yes installed by a professional electrician so no shortcuts.
Is your cooker gas, with an electric ignition? If it is all electric, your oven alone would be enough to blow a 13amp plug top fuse, as it will be rated at least 5 Kw, which is at least 20amp appx.

Is your cooker gas, with an electric ignition? If it is all electric, your oven alone would be enough to blow a 13amp plug top fuse, as it will be rated at least 5 Kw, which is at least 20amp appx.[/QUOTE
Many new ovens are under 3Kw and come supplied with 13A plugs. Isn’t technology great.....