Best London Military Museum

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Was this before he died?
In around 1972, so yes. At least he had a house there, I never saw him. Did see Tony Blackburn quite often, very nice bloke.

[...]equally the IWM.
I'd be interested to hear why you're defending it, after most of us have spent the last few pages ripping into it. Maybe I missed something when I visited? Maybe its changed in the last couple of years? Or if your memories from it are post or pre-vandalisation... err.. 'refit'.

I'd be interested to hear why you're defending it, after most of us have spent the last few pages ripping into it. Maybe I missed something when I visited? Maybe its changed in the last couple of years? Or if your memories from it are post or pre-vandalisation... err.. 'refit'.
When was the re-fit. I was last there around 10 years ago before the move to septicland.

Old British museum buildings are old buildings, not a lot they will do with them as it all costs money - so you takes what you can get. And at least it is free to get in unlike the US where like Disney they see everything as a cash extraction opportunity.

My personal best museum experience was at Duxford. I was on the KAPE tour and we had rolled up to Duxford a few days before the air show weekend, first on site. It was early days Duxford and the staff just let us wander around the hangers (in uniform) clambering over things as we pleased for the duration before the show started.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
i have used the library in the NAM in the past it was very user friendly not not now .

NAM is awful; if you've ever been before avoid it, to save heartbreak and forestall the desire to bludgeon a curator with a mis-labeled exhibit. IWM is similar but not quite so pronounced. The Fusiliers Museum in the Tower of London is still good, and you get the bonus of viewing all sorts of stabby goodness in the Royal Armouries collection just across the way in the White Tower.

I wish to thank all who gave advice.

I now feel terminally depressed over the state of our military museums, and the implied mindset of the twonks in charge.

Seeing as I've promised SWMBO a day on her own, I might take up @winged for his invite to the Special Forces Club.

I wish to thank all who gave advice.

I now feel terminally depressed over the state of our military museums, and the implied mindset of the twonks in charge.

Seeing as I've promised SWMBO a day on her own, I might take up @winged for his invite to the Special Forces Club.
You do realise, that's just around the corner from Harrods ? ;-)

i have used the library in the NAM in the past it was very user friendly not not now .
That's a shame. What I liked best was that they had Military Modelling amongst others on the shelves.

I'm glad I sent my grandfather's arty maps to the Firepower Museum.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
viceroy Photography 6
Rumpelstiltskin Cookery 34
B Health and Fitness 8