Best light weight compact warm doss bag

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by yeoman, Sep 1, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am in the market fro a new doss bag, and wondered what the current top buy was. Are softies still the best buy, or is there a new wonderbag that is all the rage?

Cheers

Yeoman

2. I have only recently got hold of a Softie 9 bag - much cheaper than the recomended price but i have yet to test its suitability for use in the field!

3. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

It all depends on the individual, and how much he feels the cold.

The Buffalo bags are very good, but a little heavy & bulky if you've got the full set.

Arktis made a 'three-in-one' bag some years ago, but sadly they're no longer available.

The besy buy at the moment is the 'BigBag Lite.' Cheap as a WRAC, bags of room in it, water-repellent outer, cotton inner and with a synthetic filling. (Actually it's getting to sound more like a WRAC as I write !)

Call Simon or Trevor at 'Troopers' on 01206 - 511 - 268. They'll sort you out & can post overseas if necessary.

Check out their webbing options too.

4. Hi all,

I have had a softie 12 for four years

It has never let me go cold and is very robust. (The only damage mine has ever taken needed the replacement of the metal zipper thingy when we used it bake someone in the midday kosovo sun after he was promoted. We were using some wire around the zipper to jam it, however the g1t had a leatherman and damaged the zipper)

It washs and drys well, holding its insulation in the right place.

However it is a bit small inside, I am only 5' 5" and when i have to use an issue bag I can bring my knees to my chest inside the bag, I can't do this in my own bag, and bringing my weapon in makes for an even more interesting night.

5. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Softie with an expander panel. I have a 3 and a 9...both excellent.

6. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Expander panel ? Is this for the not-so-lean, green, fighting machine ?

:D

7. I have a Softie 9 and I hate the blighter. Always shiver my nads off in it, even in July. If it weren't for my rifle and Mini-Me to cuddle, I'd die.

Preferable to the portable house that is the issue sleeping bag, though, which is why I put up with it.

Maybe mine is an instance of Mysterious Softie Misnumbering Phenomenon (see The X-Files Episode 89), which I know for a fact has caused someone with what is marked Softie 9 to enjoy Softie 12-level luxury.

8. Softie 9 is brilliant for (North Eastern Scotland) Summer use but in the winter I use my issue schlaf sack as it fookin' baltic up here!

Thin assed buffalo doss bag is good, fits into a side pouch with bags of space for your bivvi bag too, quite handy as I tend to take my Sabre baby bergan on ex, packing for the weekend in a "Patrol Pack" is the dogs danglies in my book!

9. I'm rather keen on the 'jungle' doss-bag I got issued to go to Iraq. Packs down very small, is a good size, and and is certainly warm enough for summer/general exercise use. I wouldn't want to use it for basha'ing up in mid-winter, but I wouldn't want to use my softie for that either. Best thing is, I 'lost' mine and thus got it for a token £20-something to the QM.

10. Its not just me that finds them cold then! :? Again the only reason I put up with it is its size.

11. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

It certainly is, I haven't used one myself but we have a couple of very big boys who swear by them. I'm not so small myself but.... :lol:

12. I have a civvy bag by a firm called LaFuma, cost me 50quid and its fantastic.
    I took that and my jungle bag on exercise, 1 in my daysack, 1 in my bergan. I was toasty warm and had bags of room in Bergan for important stuff like Baileys :)

13. Was going to acquire mine in the same fashion, but after freezing in it in November in the transit camp at Shaiba, after such a lovely summer I decided I never wanted to see the thing again. Why did they issue us with those, no good for the summer, no good for the winter.

14. I was comfortable enough in mine in an unheated portacabin in Iraq last December and I've used it since on a couple of exercises. Good for kipping in the back of a four-tonner etc.

15. I ran screaming in terror from the jungle sleeping bags when they started dishing them out in Iraq. Too similar to the dreaded Softie 9.

Plus, I was unconvinced that the person handing out kit had honourable intentions. Up until that day, QM types had done no more than raid me for kit (eg, body armour plates), not given it out. So who was this person claiming to give me free stuff?