Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Leatherman?

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
today I used wet n dry for the very first time in my life , im refurbishing a leatherman.
help needed: I put the wet n dry in a bowl of water but couldnt see any bubbles so i used it anyway is that ok??
You'll only get bubbles if you add a few drops of liquid soap, which you would do for fine finishing because it lubricates the wet and dry abrasive paper.

I liked it so much I've found out where I can get my hands on one of those long arm machetes (party isle at the local DIY).
With the long one if you get it sharp and hit a young live limb on a ash tree at around 45deg at max velocity it will cleanly take off a 4.5 inch branch and if your follow through is good it will have your foot off too. Excellent fun.

You'll only get bubbles if you add a few drops of liquid soap, which you would do for fine finishing because it lubricates the wet and dry abrasive paper.
Autosol is my choice for ocd buffage
_20201019_203117.JPG

Is that the Fiskars? I like the handle guard for when you miss, a nice detail.
Tiz a husqvarna but it was too heavy 2400 and had a more splitting than cutting profile so grind grinnd grind file file file sand sand and mucho buffing and re profile the edge it's still a chunk but I can shift it fast now and it is rather desructive. Removed a kitchen with it rather quickly
AXEA2400_new.jpg

As to my comment earlier on knives for kids sailing:
In my part of the world (Massachusetts coast) there are many private and public schools that have sailing teams. A number of years ago during a competition a boat was close hauled on a reach and capsized. The boy on the tiller went over and was trapped underwater by a tangle of main sheet and genoa sheet. A boy on the opposing team came about, brought his boat into the wind alongside the capsized boat and went overboard. He had a sheath rigging knife on his belt and was able cut the main sheet and the genoa sheet that were pulling the boy under and was able to bring the boy to the surface, saving his life.
The boy who went over to save the other had been in the lead but was disqualified under the rule about finishing with the same number of people you start with.
Nobody really cared about the disqualification, the all knew the kid was a quick thinking hero.

...Folding knives used at work are required to have a locking blade by the Occupational Safety regulations...

This. How dim would a copper need to be to be unable to understand it's a safety feature?

This. How dim would a copper need to be to be unable to understand it's a safety feature?

Is it the cop who does not understand or is it the MPs or bureaucrats who wrote the law or regulation.

This is one of the things that employers enforce on workers in the US as OSHA fines are levied against the employer. Also the insurers for workmen's compensation policies that businesses hold would take a dim view if an employer was injured by an illegal tool. OSHA fines can be huge.

Good question. Are they specifically banned or is it left open to interpretation. Perhaps a judge or politician in their ivory tower came up with that one. Either way, a locking blade is a safety feature. Even liner locks are not 100% safe IMO.

50% of the population is below average intelligence, and you can’t argue with ignorance. With box-ticking, quota filling and diversity, some of them are so far out of their depth that they have to look up to see the fish.
I carry a pencil in the pouch, therefore it’s reasonable to carry a ‘pen knife’ to sharpen it.

It's all in the weasel words.
"Without good reason."
Very open to abuse of normal people doing nothing wrong engaging with a dick of a copper.
While stop and search of the usual suspects is basically verboten.

Carrying a biltong knife, biltong slicing for the purposes of, and hoping to keep my fingers to be able to play a little guitar in order to get gullible women to allow me to motorboat them could earn me a whacked peepee.

Someone carrying a kitchen knife out and about for no good reason (getting stabby is not a good reason) is pretty much immune due to the protection afforded by Abbott, Lammy and their ilk to prevent them being stopped and searched.

Does not compute.

Good question. Are they specifically banned or is it left open to interpretation. Perhaps a judge or politician in their ivory tower came up with that one. Either way, a locking blade is a safety feature. Even liner locks are not 100% safe IMO.

The point is you have no reason to be walking around the streets with a work knife. I'm not sure about the published guidance of 3"/non-locking. I think it came from a court decision, if so it is effectively the law.

Biltong knife.

Two inch blade, very difficult to get stabby with it considering the taxonomy. A lot safer to the user than this non locking one, and a lot less lethal should one come over all stabby.

Quite so. Taking into account my previous post, the question is why not?

I said above, legal view is 3" max and non-locking. Even then, you could still be prosecuted for having a bladed weapon. Not for you or me to argue. You don't need to carry a knife like that on the street.

HE117

LE
This whole issue came about as I understand, from the Police trying to hang a conviction on someone they didn't like. I forget the reason for the lift, but it led to a search of his vehicle and came up with a legal length lock knife in his glove box, and on the basis of this he was arrested.

The relevant wording is: “It is an offence for any person, without lawful authority or good reason, to have with him in a public place, any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except for a folding pocket-knife which has a cutting edge to its blade not exceeding 3 inches.” [CJA 1988 section 139(1)]

Following the incident above, the individual was taken to court where the Judge decided that the because there was no reference to locking in the original act, that a folding knife with a lock was not a folding knife as described in the Act and therefore the individual was convicted. This went to appeal, and was rejected so that the only way forward was to take it back to Parliament, which was not going to happen. 1993 (Harris vs DPP and Fehmi vs DPP) and a Court of Appeal case (Regina vs Deegan)

The UK Gov website states:

Lock knives

Lock knives are not classed as folding knives and are illegal to carry in public without good reason. Lock knives:
  • have blades that can be locked and refolded only by pressing a button
  • can include multi-tool knives - tools that also contain other devices such as a screwdriver or can opener

As far as I am aware, this is not based on statute law, and is solely based on case law. I can find no definition of lock knives or their status in statute law.

IMHO this is again an example of the bureaucracy going way ahead of what was actually argued and agreed in Parliament.

I said above, legal view is 3" max and non-locking. Even then, you could still be prosecuted for having a bladed weapon. Not for you or me to argue. You don't need to carry a knife like that on the street.

Unless you also happen to have on your person a delicious chunk of biltong...

Latest Threads