Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Leatherman?

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
today I used wet n dry for the very first time in my life , im refurbishing a leatherman.
help needed: I put the wet n dry in a bowl of water but couldnt see any bubbles so i used it anyway is that ok??

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Top Tip.
I used blu tac to clean the file on the leatherman. Blimey it cleaned it up beautifully, also the nooks and crannies of the multitool. Its coming along nicely now although I managed to lock the tin opener and screwdriver bit yesterday a short sharp tug this morning and they came loose . job jobbed.

Leatherman makes very handy tools. I bought a PST II about 30 years ago and have carried it pretty much daily. If various blades, tools get a bit sticky a drop of WD40 does the trick.

Again, about 25 years ago my son had a sailboat and several of his friends also had sailboats at slips at the harbour. I did not him to go out without a knife and bought him his own Leatherman I forget the model but I recall that it was designed for military and had a cap crimper. I got that model as it had a spikey tool that was an ideal marlinspike after I rounded off the sharp tip a bit. He had lots more skill than me at splicing lines. He carried it daily for a long time but now is a stockbroker and not too much need in an office

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Just to say i ve had it afew weeks now but have not cut meself yet . A world record for me .

Wave for big
Skeletool for a small pocket rocket.
Upgraded from original Wave to Surge, mainly for the interchangeable bits and replaceable pliers jaws. The Wave pliers got a bit loose, but replaced under warranty after 15 years, feels like a toy compared to the Surge though. For street legal EDC, I have a Mini Tool (discontinued many years ago) which I bought in 1988 and haven’t broken yet...

I've lost 2 waves.
1 :they don't float working on boat rigging. Bloop.
2: I ripped the arse out of my mini backpack while negotiating a barbed wire fence at speed while cruising to a comfortable win in the dorset poachers vs game keepers 10k.
Keep no 3 on a leash.

I've lost 2 waves.
1 :they don't float working on boat rigging. Bloop.
2: I ripped the arse out of my mini backpack while negotiating a barbed wire fence at speed while cruising to a comfortable win in the dorset poachers vs game keepers 10k.
Keep no 3 on a leash.
Because of not floating issue my son put a split ring in the place on the leatherman and clipped to a lanyard from his belt.
about the “street legal” comment above, are you saying a Leatherman is not legal for kids sailing??

Because of not floating issue my son put a split ring in the place on the leatherman and clipped to a lanyard from his belt.
about the “street legal” comment above, are you saying a Leatherman is not legal for kids sailing??

Locking blade, so illegal here on the street without a good reason.
Cops get all excited here even if someone has a legal length non locking folder.
Yet nearly every cop has a gerber or Leatherman type on their belt.

tgo

War Hero
Street legal won't apply if youre using it for 'work' purposes i.e. have a reason to need it., You can't just go sauntering down the street with it in your pocket though.

I had a Gerber, I hated it. It had loads of blades etc but it wasn't durable.
I have had a Leatherman Wave for about ten years, it gets used most days with me working as a service engineer. I keep the blade sharp using a Redi-edge.
The quality difference between Gerber and Leatherman is significant imo.

Cops get all excited here even if someone has a legal length non locking folder.
No restrictions on locking blades in the US that I have heard of.
Folding knives used at work are required to have a locking blade by the Occupational Safety regulations.
Only restriction here is most states outlaw switchblades with exemptions for amputees or others with hand disabilities.

PFGEN

GCM
I've had a Wave in my kit for as long as I can remember. So far it's never let me down. I also have a couple of excellent Gerber knives which I learned recently wouldn't pass muster as a carry knife in the UK. One always goes with me when I'm knocking around the stables. A sharper version its clipped under the lip of the bed in case I have a sudden urge to whittle a stick at 4am in the morning.

I've had a Wave in my kit for as long as I can remember. So far it's never let me down. I also have a couple of excellent Gerber knives which I learned recently wouldn't pass muster as a carry knife in the UK. One always goes with me when I'm knocking around the stables. A sharper version its clipped under the lip of the bed in case I have a sudden urge to whittle a stick at 4am in the morning.
I prefer a claw hammer for late night whittling emergencys

These are ridiculously effective hand tools like a cross between a felling axe and a samurai sword. Thin heavy sharp blade, however well you imagine they cut they are better. The small one is far better than a hatchet or machete particularly up a tree.
_20201018_195023.JPG

I have an original PST, the blades don't lock but the other side of the tool prevents you from cutting yourself.
I wonder if that would be legal?

Latest Threads