Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Leatherman?

Might not be applicable, depending on use and carrying, but may be prudent to consider locking/non locking blades as UK knife law is a bit fcuking **** about blades.

My leatherman is a Gerber too strangely enough :p
Absolutely this. You can carry a 'folding pocket knife' with a blade less than 3 inches long without good reason or lawful authority. note that locking blades are illegal irrespective of length. I carry a Leatherman Core which has a locking blade of close on 4 inches on my belt but would never carry it out of work. My 'good reason' being a police officer in uniform. Out of work I have a small Swiss Army Knife which floats around my coat pockets and to be honest all I every use is the screwdriver and the corkscrew.

wheel

LE
I have had my Leatherman wave since 2003 use it all the time its not let me down yet. Also have the Micro since 2007 useful on the key ring for work .
Miniature Swiss Army knife inherited from my father in law on my van keys and Swiss Army Mountaineer lives in my rucksack I,ve had it at least 23 years.
All good tools if looked after.

Absolutely this. You can carry a 'folding pocket knife' with a blade less than 3 inches long without good reason or lawful authority. note that locking blades are illegal irrespective of length. I carry a Leatherman Core which has a locking blade of close on 4 inches on my belt but would never carry it out of work. My 'good reason' being a police officer in uniform. Out of work I have a small Swiss Army Knife which floats around my coat pockets and to be honest all I every use is the screwdriver and the corkscrew.
That's useful info. My understanding was that I could carry a sub 3" bladed folding knife in a bag rather than a pocket unless I had a reason. I was really glad of having it recently and had reason to carry it in a bag. Good to know it can be carried in a pocket. My concern is that interpretation of the law can vary and if I carry it on my person, zero tolerance could mean exactly that.
1599770473375.png

Troy

LE
I had a Gerber and I swapped it for a Leatherman Crunch, through this very forum in fact.

I can seriously recommend the Leatherman Crunch.

I also have a cheapie £5 Lidl folding multi tool with is often handy but I haven't really stressed it very much.

You became a transvestite after meeting several leather men - one of whom was called Buck (with a tool) in Earl's Court who stole your trousers after breaking your girlfriend's anus? Or have I misunderstood?

That is what happens when one has tequila for breakfast.
Now I have forgotten as to whether I was referring to you or myself??
Ahhh, I so tired. Manana. Mas tequila.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

25 year guarantee on Leathermans. They tend to replace broken units with a refurbished ones, rather than repair. What service did you receive under the guarantee?

I have not had the opportunity to test as yet but I will when I can (I have the receipt).
I now recall that my (no longer made) Bucktool did fail once.
The locking mechanism failed on one arm and I took it back to the gunshop. Chap there said that the rep. from the importer, I believe that it was Whitby Kives then, was coming that afternoon and just swapped it for one off the shelf.
Top geezers at Duncans' in Hull, sorted my guns out with no problems and kitted me with a new bunny gun but I fear that they are no longer around.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

Wetneck

Old-Salt
I have not had the opportunity to test as yet but I will when I can (I have the receipt).

The warranty process really is very good. As long as it's a model made in the last 25 years then put it in a padded envelope and download a warranty form from Whitby and Co. website - fill it in and include it (just your address and a single field to describe the fault) then send it to Whitby's and in a few weeks you'll probably get a new one back.
No need for receipts, boxes, grovelling apologies that you broke their stuff etc. Really good to see a company standing by their products even through distributors.

The warranty process really is very good. As long as it's a model made in the last 25 years then put it in a padded envelope and download a warranty form from Whitby and Co. website - fill it in and include it (just your address and a single field to describe the fault) then send it to Whitby's and in a few weeks you'll probably get a new one back.
No need for receipts, boxes, grovelling apologies that you broke their stuff etc. Really good to see a company standing by their products even through distributors.

The Israeli official importer knew Tim Leatherman personally. She told me he is honest and straight dealing almost to the point of naivete (in her opinion).
Leatherman group also owns Ledlenser - which have quite a few quality/design issues.

LEDlenser; loved them initially and still use them daily but the supply of spare parts is a joke. The job bought a ton of them for issue to the mechs and immediately had problems getting spares so everyone eneding up having torch units cobbled together from broken ones to keep torches out in the field.very hard to get replacement lenses.

LEDlenser; loved them initially and still use them daily but the supply of spare parts is a joke. The job bought a ton of them for issue to the mechs and immediately had problems getting spares so everyone ending up having torch units cobbled together from broken ones to keep torches out in the field. very hard to get replacement lenses.

To be fair, I once had to cobble together 11 Surefire tacticals from a multitude of binnable ones, so it can happen with the best of them.....
Still - Ledlenser have far too many maintenance issues. Our P17s (including the charging gear) constantly need to be sent for repair (under guarantee) and the shoddy flimsiness of the battery holder on the P7 is really disappointing.
I get all my own torches from sites like Deal Extreme - dirt cheap and sometimes outstandingly good. Admittedly that's too hit-or-miss from an organizational point of view, it's just that Ledlenser flashlights are also proving to be unreliable.

To be fair, I once had to cobble together 11 Surefire tacticals from a multitude of binnable ones, so it can happen with the best of them.....
Still - Ledlenser have far too many maintenance issues. Our P17s (including the charging gear) constantly need to be sent for repair (under guarantee) and the shoddy flimsiness of the battery holder on the P7 is really disappointing.
I get all my own torches from sites like Deal Extreme - dirt cheap and sometimes outstandingly good. Admittedly that's too hit-or-miss from an organizational point of view, it's just that Ledlenser flashlights are also proving to be unreliable.
Much as I like the function my LED Lenser headtorch, the design needs sorting out, cables are too wimpy, covers and seals not up to task IMHO. I have a Petzl headtorch (the kind with the flat 4.5v battery) which is still serviceable despite 30 years of being thrown around, stuffed in sacks and general abuse. Sadly, switching it on seems to make the room darker... Nowadays, £1.99 will get you a throwaway LED torch that far outshines it, trouble is, with most of them you have to cycle through 5 different modes to get to Main Beam, something that I find supremely annoying.

, trouble is, with most of them you have to cycle through 5 different modes to get to Main Beam, something that I find supremely annoying.

This makes me want to kill kittens too

I quite used to like the Fenix torches before they started to get expensive. Nowadays there is a damn fine selection available that are cheap and reliable, if one breaks I won't cry about $15, or $20, and go off and buy another. I am picky in that I insist they either take AA, or AAA, batteries for carry torches, or D cell/rechargeable for around the house, as I don't want the expense of lithium batteries.

I have seen some "tactical torches" being touted at military/police trade fairs which to be honest are of a quality that is nothing better than absolute shite. I had one bloke trying to push some little single CR123 battery torch for $140, felt like it was made from kitchen foil.

Last edited:
I quite used to like the Fenix torches before they started to get expensive. Nowadays there is a damn fine selection available that are cheap and reliable, if one breaks I won't cry about $15, or $20, and go off and buy another. I am picky in that I insist they either take AA, or AAA, batteries for carry torches, or D cell/rechargeable for around the house, as I don't want the expense of lithium batteries.

D cells - now that's a blast from the past, reminiscent of the military angle torch....

When I started in my dept. we had Surefire's and Maglites. In the course of sourcing upgrades I learnt about LED flashlights and rechargeable lithium batteries. I was stunned by the power and capacity of 18650 batteries, particularly in relation to their size.

D cells - now that's a blast from the past, reminiscent of the military angle torch....

When I started in my dept. we had Surefire's and Maglites. In the course of sourcing upgrades I learnt about LED flashlights and rechargeable lithium batteries. I was stunned by the power and capacity of 18650 batteries, particularly in relation to their size.

I have two, or three, D cell maglites dotted around the house and everyone has a mini torch in their bedside locker drawer.

Those 18650's: Do they take the place of 2 of the CR123 batteries?

Those 18650's: Do they take the place of 2 of the CR123 batteries?

First, you have to know the voltage of your flashlight.
Although many flashlights that take 18650 also take 2 x CR123 (some are even provided with a sleeve because the C123s are slightly narrower), the torch may not be suitable for the 6 volts of 2 x C123 (I learnt that the hard way, burning out the LED of a torch when I was young and foolish).
18650's are 3.7 volt. CR123 batteries are 3 volt.

Although D cell Maglites make nifty defensive weapons, I believe once you try 18650 you'll never want anything else. They are supposed to have a 10-year charged shelf life. They certainly seldom seem to run down. The illumination from a CREE Q5 or T6 Led (or Chinee knockoff) powered by an 18650 is stupendous.

In the olden days I carried a 2 x AAA Pelican Mitylite everywhere and thought nothing could top it for size/weight/illumination. Now it seems laughable....

Last edited:
That's useful info. My understanding was that I could carry a sub 3" bladed folding knife in a bag rather than a pocket unless I had a reason. I was really glad of having it recently and had reason to carry it in a bag. Good to know it can be carried in a pocket. My concern is that interpretation of the law can vary and if I carry it on my person, zero tolerance could mean exactly that.
View attachment 503500
This has been done to death in other threads, but sub 3” folders are legal to carry in your pocket, on your belt etc. Locking blades are the problem, as the knife is then classed as a ‘fixed blade’ which is where the ‘illegal unless reasonable reason for carrying comes in. A Chef taking his tools to work in a rucksack is reasonable, but stopping at a pub on the way home and slapping them on the bar is not. Trouble is, ‘reasonable’ is open to interpretation by the person who stops you and his chain of command, and Common Sense ain’t that common...

Latest Threads