Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Leatherman?

Dj1800

Crow
My boyfriend lost his leatherman a while back and I want to get him a new one before he goes away with work.

What's the best one to get for a marine? I've had a look at the MUT one which seems to be the most all singing/dancing but is it a bit too flashy? I'm pretty sure he said his last one was all black which makes me think it was the OHT one with a brown sheath - are they any good? Price isn't really an issue cause if I'm gonna spend money anyway I'd rather spend a bit more and get something he will find useful.

Or if there's any other things that would be a useful gift for someone going on tour let me know!

(before anyone gets pissed at me for having an account and not even being in the military, I just made it to ask this and I'll be deleting it afterwards)

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
The best Leatherman is a Gerber...

And don't worry about being Non-Mil, you won't be the first.

My boyfriend lost his leatherman a while back and I want to get him a new one before he goes away with work.

What's the best one to get for a marine? I've had a look at the MUT one which seems to be the most all singing/dancing but is it a bit too flashy? I'm pretty sure he said his last one was all black which makes me think it was the OHT one with a brown sheath - are they any good? Price isn't really an issue cause if I'm gonna spend money anyway I'd rather spend a bit more and get something he will find useful.

Or if there's any other things that would be a useful gift for someone going on tour let me know!

(before anyone gets pissed at me for having an account and not even being in the military, I just made it to ask this and I'll be deleting it afterwards)
Some thoughts here:

I prefer Gerber personally

Chef

LE
If it's not going to be a surprise it might be worth asking him which one he'd like the best.
ETA Mine's a Gerber too, does anyone actually have a Leatherman Leatherman?

If it's not going to be a surprise it might be worth asking him which one he'd like the best.

Yeah got a Wave, had it 16 years with no dramas. Also got a Gerber 400 had that a bit longer.

Just remember that the bigger it is, and the more widgets it has, the heavier it will be, and the less likely he will be to actually carry it. note 1*

I like the Leatherman Skeletool. I think the Gerber copy of that is the Centre-Drive.

Either, or, it doesn't really matter, they are both quality tools.

Note: 1. At the request of a couple of friends of mine I bought them some Leatherman MUT tools (cheap) whilst in the USA. To be honest once I had them I knew they would never carry them as with a decent pouch and the extra tool bits they weigh about a pound on your belt.

Met a few leathermen in the Coleherne and a few other boozers in Earl's Court back in the '80s.
Seriously, the only leatherman multi-tool I have had was their 'Rebar' and it was crud (tools broke, crap steel). I miss my old Buck knives 'Bucktool' which lasted throughout and beyond my time in service until some anus nicked it having broken into my then girlfriend's (now wife's) place. Stole my trousers too so I was turned into a transvestite for my return home.
These days, go Gerber.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

I recently rediscovered a damaged Gerber (broke it in LKG on H12) when moving house, emailed the UK help (FIskars IIRC) asking for spare parts.

got a reply of 'we don't have parts for that model, would a completely new one be acceptable?

It arrived a couple of weeks later. That's proper customer service and one of the reasons I'd recommend a Gerber

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I recently rediscovered a damaged Gerber (broke it in LKG on H12) when moving house, emailed the UK help (FIskars IIRC) asking for spare parts.

got a reply of 'we don't have parts for that model, would a completely new one be acceptable?

It arrived a couple of weeks later. That's proper customer service and one of the reasons I'd recommend a Gerber
You and your used Gerbils.

Got 3 including an original PST from 1984, Another PST gifted to me in 90 and a "Wave". The original was a godsend for adjusting M60 Machinegun BFA's.

Also 2 issue Gerber Black Multiplier 600 (1 Issued, 1 "Found" on a barrier in Baghdad)

Depending on where I go I usually carry a PST for everyday use. The tip broke and I reground it to a ''rounded'' point on the 84 version.

Met a few leathermen in Earl's Court back in the '80s. I miss my old 'Bucktool' until some anus broken into my girlfriend's trousers, so I was turned into a transvestite.

You became a transvestite after meeting several leather men - one of whom was called Buck (with a tool) in Earl's Court who stole your trousers after breaking your girlfriend's anus? Or have I misunderstood?

Last edited:

Latest Threads