Best Leather Boots For Hill Walking.

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by CptDanjou, Jun 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I`m looking for some lightweight leather boots for hill walking/ rough shooting , I dont like synthetics and I want black or dark brown , not desert beige, being waterproof is not essential as I use my Matterhorn`s for wet weather , I do like Vibram soles , what do you recommend ?
  2. Lowa Mountain Boot if you have Lowa shaped feet.
    Miendel Vakuum GTX if you have meindel shaped feet.

Unfortunately, I seem to have one of each!
  3. Leather magnums?
  4. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Meindl Burma Pro have been good for me.
  5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I use Le Chameau Mouflon's if I'm doing too much distance for wellies - Meindls are too wide for my feet. Vibram sole but not lightweight.

I also have a pair of short Chris Brasher boots which come in a range of heights starting with ankle shoes, vibram sole.
  6. I use lowa mountain boots, tried to be clever and smash around place fell with wearing a pair of trail shoes and fell off after ankle went!!! Boots only these days!
  7. They're not bad actually, I've got a pair myself. I've had them about three years, and apart from a few scratches on the leather they're holding up very well. I got mine from TK Maxx for the same price as you.
  8. Go to a good outdoor shop like Ellis Brigham, Cotswold Outdoor or Snow and Rock and ask them for a bootfitting. You won't be disappointed.
  9. Although ive tested both Lowa & Meindl on various terrains I wouldn't discount the US brand Danner either.

I wear their Striker GTX II for work and wouldn't be without them (due to their lightness) so there hillwalking versions might be worth considering.
  10. I had a pair of the Orkneys as well, again from TK Maxx and while they aren't bad for knocking about in and work wear the liners not as good or as breathable as a proper goretex one, the sole is non replacable as well, I also found the soles come adrift from the boot slightly at the ball of the feet and make anoying clicking sounds as you walk. The metal cleats for the laces are cheap cast ones with sharp mould flash edges on them so they eat through laces in rapid order.

I have some fabric Brasher GTX from Go-Outdoors now and despite not being leather they are a much better quality boot and much more sturdy.

Brasher Kiso GTX Men's Hiking Boots | GO Outdoors

For £70 on sale they are top notch, like Scarpa or Lowas in quaility.

Avoid Magnums, they are tacky over priced shit and they will give you fungal infections.
  11. DMS boots with puttees.

But apparently they only work if youre carrying an SLR and shooting holes in planets
  12. Got a pair of Altberg Mallerstang, good boots!
  13. Lowa mountain all day long for me. I found matterhorns and danner a bit on the narrow side but then I do have wide feet. karrimor are super shit since sports direct took the helm, bought stuff from there but it just fell to bits in no time at all so won't be buying Karrimor again.
  14. I tried a cheap ex army surplus pair of lowa's from ebay before splashing out on a new pair to make sure I was comfortable with them.