Best kept secret - bases that you liked and why

Something that strikes me with new build SLAs (of which those at Tidworth are a prime example) is that the blocks seem to be slung around hither and thither. I've no doubt that the actual standard of accommodation is a great improvement on what they have replaced. There just seems to be no order to the placement of the blocks and it all looks a bit random and unmilitary to me.
Are they prefab? Just asking as HMS Collingwood in Fareham had these plonked in (ages ago). Near services and look like Travelodges. The Wardroom is about 30m away from a very busy road.
Give me a 12 man room any day.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Good reading all these. Shame that with SLAM and all other no-bars-in-the-block type accom because the crap contractor wont make any money i suspect in 25years time these types of threads wont be as interesting. Ive chatted to a few lads who are now in the Mess and they say that its getting less and less all these shenanigans. Lets face it, if the Army has its way it will all be in 2 or 3 big massive bases in the UK so those little tiny discrete postings will be long gone.
I never particularly missed the shared rooms.

Having to live alongside grotty bastards, alcoholics and just general ******* idiots made me quite grateful for the day when I walked in to my own wanking palace and SLAMmed the door shut!

BopBopBop

Old-Salt
Something that strikes me with new build SLAs (of which those at Tidworth are a prime example) is that the blocks seem to be slung around hither and thither. I've no doubt that the actual standard of accommodation is a great improvement on what they have replaced. There just seems to be no order to the placement of the blocks and it all looks a bit random and unmilitary to me.
Probably to be more attractive to a developer when the estate is sold off by the MOD. Have you been inside? Easily converted to flats?

Probably to be more attractive to a developer when the estate is sold off by the MOD. Have you been inside? Easily converted to flats?
The only barrack block accommodation I know of that has been retained for civilian use are old listed buildings such as Peninsular Barracks in Winchester or the old blocks at Caterham, Deal and Shoeburyness. They'll hang on to much of Hounslow Cavalry Barracks when it goes. The most recently built that I know of is a Sandhurst block of the 1930s in Lanark.

If recent build SLA blocks were vacated, they would probably just be torn down and redeveloped. New build SFA might be retained.

Does anyone know if any of the old Victorian/Edwardian 'Merthyr Tydfil' MQs still exist?

Provost, I saw the old Peninsula Barracks when they had been done., about 10 years ago. I had to go to Winchester on business. I was impressed, not least because I knew people who had done their training at depot, and then moved yards and stayed in Winchester. KRRC, LI, RGJ, whatever.
Goodness only knows what the place is worth now.

I've not seen them in the flesh, so to speak, but I imagine they cannot be any worse than than the hideous 70s concrete excrescences that they replaced. Or are you able to say different?

Predating the 70s build of the ACC barracks, there was an Army School of Cookery on that site. It was a fine building dating from the late 1930s, I think. Mind you, the adjoining living accommodation was old wooden huts.
Only just seen this. They look a lot better but I suppose only time will tell regarding the structures.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Just watching Countryfile, which is featuring Cultybraggan Camp bear Comrey, which I remember from my days with the TA in Glasgow.
Although it closed down in 2007, the Camp has been taken over by the local Community and numerous businesses. There has been some serious investment in the site, including, amazingly, £400k which was bequeathed by a former German POW, who was imprisoned there during WW2.
Fascinating stuff and a really interesting solution to what used to be and could have remained a blot on the landscape in a beautiful part of the UK.

Just watching Countryfile, which is featuring Cultybraggan Camp bear Comrey, which I remember from my days with the TA in Glasgow.
Although it closed down in 2007, the Camp has been taken over by the local Community and numerous businesses. There has been some serious investment in the site, including, amazingly, £400k which was bequeathed by a former German POW, who was imprisoned there during WW2.
Fascinating stuff and a really interesting solution to what used to be and could have remained a blot on the landscape in a beautiful part of the UK.
The Herman that left the money, either he was blind, deaf, dumb and stupid, or he was shagging a bird from Cumrie (known as muppeting in my days there, Miss Piggys the lot of 'em).

The only thing I'd have left at Culty would have been a lazer indicater mark for a sqn of B52s to rolling thunder the sh1t hole.

Nieheim Barracks. Left to our own devices, bar open all night, no other soldiers for miles around, close enough to get to Bad Driburg or Paderborn if necessary, and pick of the available women in Hoxter, Horn and Steinheim (although I have to admit there weren't that many).

Latest Threads