Best kept secret - bases that you liked and why

ex_sigs

Old-Salt
Credenhill, early 2000’s just as the world got interesting. Totally different to the green army and still miss it now.

I bounced from JHQ to Lisburn. Germany taught me how to drink, NI taught me how to run. I don’t think there has been a “strip” to compare with Thiepvals for years.
FOC

Credenhill, early 2000’s just as the world got interesting. Totally different to the green army and still miss it now.
Done my RAF apprentice training there. Some trainees still lived in wooden huts and those that decided they didn't want to play and wished to part company with the RAF were "accommodated" in a wooden hut sans heating and lighting.

Bulmers had the contract for collecting the apples from the trees on the station. The rancid and rotting things that went into the cider put me off Woodpecker for life.

One of the best features of the place was the RAF School of Catering - the standard of food cooked by students on their promotion courses would have graced the world's top hotels.

Done my RAF apprentice training there. Some trainees still lived in wooden huts and those that decided they didn't want to play and wished to part company with the RAF were "accommodated" in a wooden hut sans heating and lighting.

Bulmers had the contract for collecting the apples from the trees on the station. The rancid and rotting things that went into the cider put me off Woodpecker for life.

One of the best features of the place was the RAF School of Catering - the standard of food cooked by students on their promotion courses would have graced the world's top hotels.
Not anymore unfortunately

One can only hope that it has improved since the 1980s....

I used to visit an uncle there in the 1960s when I was a kid - I was posted there in 1981 and it had barely changed, still a miserable little dump with Victorian barracks and dreadful MQs.
Been pretty much rebuilt now. Though some of the old cavalry blocks are still there.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Joint Service Mountain Training Centre Tywyn. I did the Army Outward Bound course there as a spotty 17 year old in 1980 (Army Scholars and Welbeck compulsory summer training). I was back there today for the first time on a bike tour of North Wales. Very sad to see the place abandoned. How is adventure training done now? Outsourced to some twat in a North Face catalogue with a trailer full of canoes no doubt.

The third photo is the estuary about 1 km from the front gate where they´d make you spend the night in an inflatable life raft with your section on the first night of the final ex. Very happy memories.
View attachment 401717View attachment 401718View attachment 401719
A friend of mine fell down the 3rd mineshaft during the cave abseil in ‘78. Took hours to rescue him. He spent a year in hospital being put back together and yet still got through RMAS. He recently retired a full Colonel.

By the time I went through Tywyn* in 1981 they had changed the cave abseil route a bit so that there was less risk that you’d inadvertently step off the rim of a shaft in the dark.

* vowels not necessary Carol...

A friend of mine fell down the 3rd mineshaft during the cave abseil in ‘78. Took hours to rescue him. He spent a year in hospital being put back together and yet still got through RMAS. He recently retired a full Colonel.

By the time I went through Tywyn* in 1981 they had changed the cave abseil route a bit so that there was less risk that you’d inadvertently step off the rim of a shaft in the dark.

* vowels not necessary Carol...
DC, he was in my platoon at Sandhurst. Great bloke.

2 Platoon, Alemein Company.

DC had a special dispensation for not being able to straighten his arm on drill.

2 Platoon, Alemein Company.

DC had a special dispensation for not being able to straighten his arm on drill.
Yes. He hadn’t told the DS about his arm and was getting rifted by your Colour Sargeant in one of the early drill sessions. As I was the only one at the time who knew about it at the time,as I’d been at school with him, I had a chat with the Colour about it.

I met his daughter in Cambodia while she was on a gap year before going to RMAS herself. Nice girl.

Been pretty much rebuilt now. Though some of the old cavalry blocks are still there.

Something that strikes me with new build SLAs (of which those at Tidworth are a prime example) is that the blocks seem to be slung around hither and thither. I've no doubt that the actual standard of accommodation is a great improvement on what they have replaced. There just seems to be no order to the placement of the blocks and it all looks a bit random and unmilitary to me.

Laughingly Mr Turnbull's site should be of good refeence on this thread lol though tbh they are not that secret secret and more for the tin foil hat brigade.

And many of us have probably been or served in several or half the places mentioned.

UK Secret Bases

Laughingly the White caps old haunt Rudloe Manor was a favorite amongst the tin foil hat brigade ...probably because of then Flying Complaints Flight based there. But hey its been closed for over a decade...

Cheers

ugly

LE
Sometime in the late '70's we ended up down at Lydd Ranges; I can't for the life of me remember where we were put up, but I do remember the jog down to the beach every morning, running past the IJLB barracks at Shorncliff- that looked like a tidy gaff , quite new and modern as I seem to recall. What was it like for those there though? How long was the course?
48 weeks of bedblocks when I was there, you may have been in Napier Bks, a fairly commonly used tarted up nissen hut type place. The IJLB blocks had no modern comforts at all.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
33 Carlton Place , Southampton .
You had to be there , man .
Just round the corner from my solicitor. And my daughter's former girls' schoo... Why you dirty! I oughtta... Something.

Something that strikes me with new build SLAs (of which those at Tidworth are a prime example) is that the blocks seem to be slung around hither and thither. I've no doubt that the actual standard of accommodation is a great improvement on what they have replaced. There just seems to be no order to the placement of the blocks and it all looks a bit random and unmilitary to me.
Indeed, have you seen the new St Omer Bks in the Shot? It's exactly the same!

Princess Mary Barracks, Dover Road, Singapore. First posting out of Harrogate and a dream squadron in a dream location, treated like adults by a top CO and SSM. As we came under command of HQ FARELF we got to go on a lot of jollies on top of the exercises across the Causeway into Malaya. I managed trips to Korea, Thailand and, when we took over the admin of the Golden Arrow in Bangkok, a six week SEATO exercise in The White Horse Hotel to boost their 3 way shift system to a 4 way...happy days.

Our accommodation in Singapore, the only downside was 18 Signal Regiment RHQ building was straight across the road.

Album 03 33.jpg

Indeed, have you seen the new St Omer Bks in the Shot? It's exactly the same!

I've not seen them in the flesh, so to speak, but I imagine they cannot be any worse than than the hideous 70s concrete excrescences that they replaced. Or are you able to say different?

Predating the 70s build of the ACC barracks, there was an Army School of Cookery on that site. It was a fine building dating from the late 1930s, I think. Mind you, the adjoining living accommodation was old wooden huts.

Latest Threads