Best kept secret - bases that you liked and why

Rodders, by the look of it, your tour predated mine by a few years - the Shiny First were there from Jan '85 to Jan '87. For us it was the 'sunshine' after a two and a half year stretch in Omagh. They got their money's worth in those days: after Gib it was back to Tidworth, get issued with the SA80 for the first time and then straight into NI training for a 6 month spell in South Armagh!

A & B Coys were in South Barracks (now a nursery school - jokes about the mental age going up have all been heard before...), with C, Sp and HQ up at Lathbury.
My mistake, I thought you were 2nd Bn in '77...

What's peoples opinions on the super garrison @ Tidworth?
One can only hope that it has improved since the 1980s....

I used to visit an uncle there in the 1960s when I was a kid - I was posted there in 1981 and it had barely changed, still a miserable little dump with Victorian barracks and dreadful MQs.

I’m dying to get an Annual Camp down there. From memory, it’s a decent camp because it’s RFCA owned rather than a DTE site?
It is a RFCA site, hence the overall condition being good. It is heavily used by the RE for obvious reasons, but somehow we Scalies managed to sneak in...

Park Hall Camp, Oswestry. The best , secret, private boys school in the UK when it was home to the IJLB and JIB.

I enjoyed all my postings, even the likes of Catterick, SPTA and Blandford. The day job might have its drawbacks, but they were all in beautiful areas. The clear winner though was Germany.

Initially 16 Sigs in Krefeld, and my MSQ was in Willich. Willich had been host to an RE Plant Park and Base Wksp, which had closed by the time I got there, but the MSQs were retained. Nice little town, no Army bullshit like dícking people for duties because someone hadn't turned up. The MSQs were right in the middle of town, easy walk to the bars and shops. Annual Schützenfest, got on great with the locals. 16 Sigs de-camped to JHQ, and 7 Sigs relocated to Krefeld from Herford. My squadron moved to 7, so I stayed where I was. Another three years in Willich. Eventually that squadron moved back to 16, and I got posted with it to JHQ. Managed to engineer keeping my qtr in Willich, so again, none of the bullshit at JHQ (JHQ was slack in general, but 16's headshed had other ideas).

We had a caravan, so most weekends we'd head down the A61 to the Eiffel, or occasionally further south. Our neighbours did too, sometimes there'd be 3 or 4 families off for a BBQ by the side of the Rhine or Mosel.

I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

PaulinBont

Clanker
Sometime in the late '70's we ended up down at Lydd Ranges; I can't for the life of me remember where we were put up, but I do remember the jog down to the beach every morning, running past the IJLB barracks at Shorncliff- that looked like a tidy gaff , quite new and modern as I seem to recall. What was it like for those there though? How long was the course?

not many mentions of Obernkirchen and Swinging:cool: Minden,agreat posting no matter what barracks,brilliant Freischiessen every 2 years, coincidentally on the 11/7 this year, we are flying in from aus so watch out for the Akubra on kanzlers weide friday and saturday,lots of great memories of wstminster bcks,,keeps me going back even after 50years,yellow handbag at theready

One can only hope that it has improved since the 1980s....

I used to visit an uncle there in the 1960s when I was a kid - I was posted there in 1981 and it had barely changed, still a miserable little dump with Victorian barracks and dreadful MQs.
My dad spent winter 43-44 there with US 2AD 41st AIR. He used the same term Miserable dump

Ah yes, Old Park Barracks Dover 1981.
Had the most lovely shiny floors and a super fast system for moving kit from 2nd floor to ground in an instant - window I think the NCOs called it.

Joint Service Mountain Training Centre Tywyn. I did the Army Outward Bound course there as a spotty 17 year old in 1980 (Army Scholars and Welbeck compulsory summer training). I was back there today for the first time on a bike tour of North Wales. Very sad to see the place abandoned. How is adventure training done now? Outsourced to some twat in a North Face catalogue with a trailer full of canoes no doubt.

The third photo is the estuary about 1 km from the front gate where they´d make you spend the night in an inflatable life raft with your section on the first night of the final ex. Very happy memories.
IMG_2550.jpg
IMG_2551.jpg
IMG_2553.jpg

Another thumbs down for terrible Tidders (at that time). Bhurtpore Bks in 1979-1980 was dreadful - like the accommodation - especially after coming from BAOR, and the town didn't help. I think there was a bowling alley and I remember a battle on Station Rd; the police were all over the garrison in the early hours. We could head off to Salisbury or Andover (yawn) or Bournemouth at the weekend. But life was dire until HQNI Lisburn and L/Derry came up.

Another thumbs down for terrible Tidders (at that time). Bhurtpore Bks in 1979-1980 was dreadful - like the accommodation - especially after coming from BAOR, and the town didn't help. I think there was a bowling alley and I remember a battle on Station Rd; the police were all over the garrison in the early hours. We could head off to Salisbury or Andover (yawn) or Bournemouth at the weekend. But life was dire until HQNI Lisburn and L/Derry came up.
I bounced from JHQ to Lisburn. Germany taught me stamina, NI taught me speed. I don’t think there has been a “strip” to compare with Thiepvals for years.

I bounced from JHQ to Lisburn. Germany taught me stamina, NI taught me speed. I don’t think there has been a “strip” to compare with Thiepvals for years.
Thiepval wasn't a bad screw in 80-81. Fair bit of mischief as well as fraternising, at least the bits I can remember.

Thiepval wasn't a bad screw in 80-81. Fair bit of mischief as well as fraternising, at least the bits I can remember.
I arrived in ‘99. The first night was awesome, someone filled the NAAFI DJ in on the second night and it went shit for a while. Still had a lot of amazing nights though. Aldergrove took over in the late noughties. I can confirm that Thiepval is a sheeeiiiite night out nowadays.

Latest Threads